CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2012

JEFFERSON COUNTY - Prosecutors and the defense in the murder case of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway are preparing for court.

The 17-year-old suspect Austin Sigg is due in court Tuesday morning.

The Jefferson County District Attorney filed for Sigg to be charged as an adult from the very beginning. However, Sigg's attorneys say they plan on fighting that filing.

On Tuesday, the prosecution will make a case as to why Sigg should not be tried in juvenile court. The judge in this case will be the one to make the final decision.

VIDEO: http://www.9news.com/news/article/301670/339/Suspect-in-Jessica-Ridgeway-case-appears-in-court

I don't think we will see anything as they still have a gag order is that correct?

I don't think we will see anything as they still have a gag order is that correct?

Yes, I don't believe that the hearing will be broadcast, but there will be reporters present to report afterwards.

I'm lousy with Twitter, but I'm seeing tweets that Sigg will be tried as an adult according to Amanda Kost (I believe she's a reporter) and 7News. Can someone else provide the links?

I thought Sigg's attorney had requested the judge review the prosecutor's decision to charge as an adult. Based on the fact he is to be tried as an adult, I guess I assumed that the judge did review and decided that the prosecutor's decision was appropriate.

Maybe I am wrong

but it seems like the two things are similar, if not the same?

I thought Sigg's attorney had requested the judge review the prosecutor's decision to charge as an adult. Based on the fact he is to be tried as an adult, I guess I assumed that the judge did review and decided that the prosecutor's decision was appropriate.

Maybe I am wrong

but it seems like the two things are similar, if not the same?

I am worried about the last article.. it says that Sigg's counsel did not file for the reverse transfer (they would have to file this and iirc it would be an actual hearing).

Hopefully it is just bad reporting (re: not the defense thinking of future appeals.)

"According to Rob McCallum, spokesman for the Colorado Judicial Department, Sigg's lawyers never filed the reverse transfer motion as they were expected to."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...day?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I don't like it when attorneys fail to file motions. Is Sigg being represented by a public defender? Is daddy going to eventually spend some of his money on a 'high-powered' attorney that will try to argue ineffective assistance of counsel or whatever the legal jargon is for a bad attorney? kwim :banghead:

:moo:

huh.

Odd, because his attorney made such a big deal about the revers transfer, from day one of being on this case.

Concern is justified. Puzzling and worrisome.

On Tuesday, the prosecution and the defense debated whether Sigg will be moved from his current juvenile facility to an adult facility. Currently, Sigg is being held in Mount View Youth Detention Facility. In order for Sigg to be transferred to Jefferson County Detention Facility in Golden, Mount View has to request the transfer. According to sources, Mount View has requested the transfer.

During the hearing on Tuesday, Mount View facility put the director of youth corrections on the stand. That director testified they wanted Sigg moved to an adult facility due to his "high intelligence" and "high maturity." The director said Sigg has been in isolation since his arrest even though there has never been a court order to do that. The director claimed threats had been made against Sigg's life, so the facility decided to put him in isolation for his own protection.
http://www.9news.com/news/article/301670/339/Ridgeway-suspect-called-mature-intelligent

Wow, nurse -- death threats from probably 13 & 14 year olds, perhaps. I guess having someone in isolation takes more staff, etc., etc. I'm betting it should be the same for ARS X 10 in an adult prison -- a fresh young face amidst a lot of men with testosterone-laden big mouths and small minds. A walk in the park this won't be. Such a pity, so unfair, and he hasn't even been convicted.

I'll bet young Sigg convicted little JR as soon as he saw her. That wasn't fair, either.
icon8.gif

Wow, nurse -- death threats from probably 13 & 14 year olds, perhaps. I guess having someone in isolation takes more staff, etc., etc. I'm betting it should be the same for ARS X 10 in an adult prison -- a fresh young face amidst a lot of men with testosterone-laden big mouths and small minds. A walk in the park this won't be. Such a pity, so unfair, and he hasn't even been convicted.

I'll bet young Sigg convicted little JR as soon as he saw her. That wasn't fair, either.
icon8.gif

"high intelligence and high maturity" yea right. He was so intelligent and mature that now he is going to pay for the rest of his life. he will probably right a book. hopefully it will be a not what to do book. jmo

that should be write a book.

During the hearing on Tuesday, Mount View facility put the director of youth corrections on the stand. That director testified they wanted Sigg moved to an adult facility due to his "high intelligence" and "high maturity."

Hoping this testimony bolsters the prosecutions case for their decision to try him as an adult and puts to rest any possible argument that he should not be tried as an adult due to mental immaturity or lack of intelligence.

From what I've been reading, I'm not sure why everyone wants him tried as an adult. What I read was that he would/could receive 7 years for each charge (if convicted of all of them) and have to serve them consecutively for a total of 119 (?) years; if he is charged as an adult, he would be sentenced to life with the possibility of parole after 40 years. Other than that, I don't see a lot of difference between the two. He'd still be in a juvenile center until he was considered to be an adult, and then go to an adult facility, Are there other differences I'm missing (other than the possibility of his sentences being concurrent instead of consecutive)? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant