CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the hotel use an electronic card type key to get in? I don't see anything in her hand in the elevator video. Could it be in her shorts?

Cecil Hotel doesn't seem to be using the card system as of 2012.

I work for a private investigation company and I can tell you that we are required to edit out any video footage of individuals who are NOT our subject because of the privacy laws.

IF someone was edited out, what would be your take on why LE would have included that portion of the video?

I work for a private investigation company and I can tell you that we are required to edit out any video footage of individuals who are NOT our subject because of the privacy laws.

I could see why that is needed since people have been speculating some very wild theories. If there was an innocent bystander shown on the video, I'm sure many would consider them a suspect just by being there. But normally, wouldn't they just blur out the people instead of editing them out completely?

IF someone was edited out, what would be your take on why LE would have included that portion of the video?

Maybe to show that the elevator was indeed working? Explanations as to why she was behaving the way she was would differ quite a bit if people thought the elevator was broken.

I could see why that is needed since people have been speculating some very wild theories. If there was an innocent bystander shown on the video, I'm sure many would consider them a suspect just by being there. But normally, wouldn't they just blur out the people instead of editing them out completely?

Might depend on the video editing software being used. The software we use doesn't have a blur or pixalate tool, but to edit someone out is super easy.

I don't think the video was edited. it just stopped recording because there was no movement. It then starts recording again when the door closes.

Hi everyone,

I've been following this case on Websleuths for the last couple of days and finally took the courage to register an account to discuss more. Please pardon me if I go wrong somewhere.

First off, I am an Asian (Chinese), I eat/live/sleep Chinese... And no, we do not have Asian/Chinese dance moves like how EL moved on camera as some suggested. In fact, according to our Chinese beliefs, EL looked more like she was 'possessed' than dancing. But of course, we'll live the supernatural 'possibility' aside for now.

Now... The main reason why I felt the need to join in the discussion was because I saw that a few of you lovely people didn't seem to put into the discussion of the way the corridors were laid out. Please allow me to quote 2 videos which I've found on Youtube for my post. (1st video earlier quoted on thread#1 by another)

First video: Stay Hotel Downtown Los Angeles CA - YouTube
Uploaded: 4th Dec 2011.

Tour of a 'Stay Hotel' whose corridors bears striking resemblance to that of Cecil Hotel. We may or may not conclude that these places share the same corridor mapping/building structure... Some might think that Stay Hotel is Cecil Hotel, but I beg to differ because Stay Hotel using CARD system for their showers... whereas Cecil doesn't.

Second video: Tour of the Cecil hotel: The BEST hotel in downtown Los Angeles. - YouTube
Uploaded: 4th July 2012.

Tour of Cecil Hotel itself by 2 young guys who actually stayed on the 14TH floor.

Sub-conclusive facts we can get from this video.
1: From the 2nd video, we can see that the walls were of a different color. Unless Cecil hotel had their walls repainted, we can conclude that Elisa wasn't on the 14th floor as many suggested earlier.

2: Elisa was definitely on the right lift. Because these guys were on the left lift when they were heading up, with the floor buttons located on the left side of the lift instead of right (what was on EL's video)

3: There is a shower room and 2 toilets to the right of the lift. So if Elisa WAS indeed talking to anyone that night... That person could using or standing at the shower/toilet (which might explain why that person wasn't seen walking PAST the lift after Elisa walked off)

4: There are rooms on BOTH sides of the lift and there may be a kitchen on the left and an EXIT door right next to the kitchen.

IMHO, I feel that she was under some kinda of substance influence or suffering from a mental problem. If we were to recall her video, the 2nd time she went back into the lift.. She was pressing the buttons repeatedly down the middle row top to bottom top to bottom. A person who is in stress and fear wouldn't do that... they'd be pounding on the buttons, frantically trying to figure out which button closes the door WHILE looking out of the lift for the perpetrator. EL wasn't even looking at the door... She was just staring into the buttons like almost dazed...going top button to bottom button... for 3 times.

I'm inclined on the fact that someone who works at Cecil Hotel spotted her being delusional and disoriented and thus took advantage of her.

As a Chinese with deep superstitions... My roots will say she was possessed and finished off... supernaturally.

RIP Elisa. Justice will prevail~!

Welcome Arnold. Thanks for your work putting that post together !

Recognizing that discussion of the social media accounts is semi on hold pending Mod advice ..

I'm really challenged when it comes to sleuthing around social media (just can't figure out how the darn things work really), but IF IF IF the accounts do belong to Elisa, i find some things interesting so far.

The blogger has an article "on being a no-name blogger .." and "I decided to start writing under my real name" (yet i don't see that they ever do, nor can i find anything that confirms the blogger is EL). In that same article however, they have a reference to Kathy Sierra with a link. Kathy Sierra was on instagram (and possibly other social media) and was apparently a victim of serious internet stalking that included death threats.

That is how I see the video also. Her actions don't seem so crazy if there was noise or someone out in the hall. And even if it turns out she was on something, that does not mean that no foul play was involved. It just seems that some tend to see a crazy or drugged person and therefor she just climbed into a water tank and died. If she was in some sort of troubled state I think it would make it much more difficult to access the roof and climb into the water tank.

It could turn out the elevator video itself has nothing to do with her death, but whatever happened someone else had to be involved in her getting into that water tank. Probably an employee or long time guest (or someone who had been up on the roof before). Just my working theory so far.

Absolutely true IMHO! Her actions are perfectly normal IF she is being followed and / or confronted in the hall outside of the film.

Hi Molly, thanks so much for your post . When someone is edited out, isn't it usually a big fuzzy blob over that person? That's what I see sometimes on news footage. In this video could you edit someone out and still be able to see the walls behind, tiles below so clearly ? Or are you speculating about different footage that we have no seen/ thanks !

Ummm, I think that's a stupid question,,, lol! But we'll see.

I just wanted to note that it has never been confirmed that Elisa was staying on the 4th floor...Other than that, there has been no statement from LE or MSM, as far as I know, that she was on the 4th floor. Please let me know if I am wrong. Thanks :)

In this article, it claims she was on the 4th floor. It's possible the journalist who wrote the article was mistaken. http://www.examiner.com/article/bod...be-elisa-lam-missing-canadian-student?cid=rss

I don't know anymore why she only presses the middle row. If I was trying to throw someone off from following me, it would be more random. It's almost like she's playing a game or acting very childlike in doing that.

Aw, I am reading through her formspring (its a site where anonymous people ask you questions and you answer them) and she seems like such an amazing person. :(

Interesting that she keeps refering to herself as a night owl, and that she is depressed and loves to travel.

Hi Molly, thanks so much for your post . When someone is edited out, isn't it usually a big fuzzy blob over that person? That's what I see sometimes on news footage. In this video could you edit someone out and still be able to see the walls behind, tiles below so clearly ? Or are you speculating about different footage that we have no seen/ thanks !

Re "big fuzzy blob", not really. What initially caught my eye wrt the possibility of an edit ... some of the blurring i was seeing on the video seemed similar to a pic the Toronto Police Child Exploitation Team released (they had digitally erased the child who was photographed in a motel room, and were ultimately able to identify the location of the hotel and the victim). They had even matched up a floral bedspread so it was hardly noticeably that an edit had occurred in the pic.

Mind you, that was a pic, not a video.

I've tried to find the pic online, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.

There wouldn't be a fuzzy blob over the person if they just edited them out by cutting the footage. I'm assuming we're talking about the portion of the video where the counter freezes. Say someone walked past the elevator at 1:00:01 and moved out of frame at 1:00:03...LE could just snip this 3 seconds of video out completely and the counter would likely have a little jump, or appear to pause.

I personally am not convinced anyone was even edited out. The video quality is poor, suggesting an old/inexpensive camera. I've spent the last 7 years editing surveillance footage every single day and I can't count the number of times the timestamp on a camera has screwed up on me. It even happens with good cameras! I've also had footage from poor quality cameras stall/lag on me before.

I want to point out that if Elisa was having psychosis OR if she were accidentally on some type of drug, that does NOT eliminate foul play. In that state, wandering around the hotel, she was a walking target for anyone who was so inclined to victimize her. I hope we find out. She seems a sweet, engaging and bubbly girl !

RE: The elevator door not closing.

In the video, there's a delay of 2:45 between Elisa pushing the last button and the elevator door closing. We know at least a few seconds are missing so it's more than 2:45.

Here's something I found on this website: http://elevation.wikia.com/wiki/Elevator_Doors

Door hold button

Door hold button is used to hold the door open for a desired period (normally up to three minutes) for loading goods, baggages or bed/strecher. This button is especially common in freight and hospital elevators.

It's a wiki but the person who wrote that is probably knowledgeable about elevators.

So assuming Elisa did push the Door hold button, it's perfectly normal that the door isn't closing for such a long time. A three minutes delay would match what we're seeing in the video. There's no one outside playing with the call button.

Yes, translation please.

They are also talking about her waving hand movements, and I'd like to know what they are saying.

That is scary. Translation would be helpful. What are they outlining? Not to be ridiculous but I sense the negative energy in buildings that have had murders occur, yes in a paranormal sense. I'm sensitive to the energy and couldn't imagine sleeping in a place like that. Maybe if there were any psychological issues or breakdowns, it could pertain to sensing that energy, perhaps even seeing things, which many people do here.

Can anyone translate? Do they think they see "something" appearing in the shadows of the video??

starting at about 4.05... about 5:10 they are drawing outlines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JIyJawW03M

My guess is the outlines with the elevator buttons panel, they're just explaining what she was doing and what buttons she was pressing. The shadowy outline they draw with the elevator closed sounds like they're going the supernatural route, which I think is silly. Plus, the video is of such low quality, any shadows or moving pixels could just be artifacts on the low resolution video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member