Arias Trial; Compare the receipts and the monetary transactions

I've been DYING to figure this one out!

I found a photo of the receipt online. The header of the receipt reads "Valero Country Store." This is a Valero gas station/mini mart. She most likely purchased gas.

First thing to remember is that this receipt is from 2008, so who even knows if the Valero Country Store she visited then is still in operation...

But assuming that the Valero Country Store is still in operation, there is a Valero located on I-5 in Gustine, CA, which is 79 miles south of the McDonald's in Lodi, CA. This particular Valero is located just north of the highway exits for CA-152, which is the route Jodi would have taken to travel from Lodi, CA to Monterey, CA.

(She took I-5 South from Redding, and since she is documented as having been at McDonald's in Lodi at 7:32 PM, the most reasonable route from Lodi to Monterey, where she spent the night at Matt McCartney's, is via CA-152.)

Google Maps approximates the trip from Lodi to Gustine to take 1 hour and 11 minutes. If she made a purchase at McDonald's at 7:32 PM, and a gas purchase at Valero Country Store in Gustine at 8:41 PM, this matches up pretty much exactly (give or take).

But here's what I really wanna know...

Why did Arias choose to travel from Redding to Monterey via the town of Lodi? It's a somewhat peculiar choice. Most people would take I-5 South from Redding to I-680 South to Route 101 South. Route 101 South would take Jodi right into Monterey.

Instead, Jodi chose to stay on I-5 South beyond Sacramento, and then take CA-152 West into Monterey.

Her choice added 30 minutes to her trip.

This route does not create a huge delay--and she wasn't yet "on the run," so she perhaps wasn't in a hurry--but it's still a bit unusual.

Furthermore, in her telephone conversation on June 25, 2008 with Detective Flores, she discusses her road trip in some detail. We're all well aware that she lied to Detective Flores on myriad occasions, but the lies she told him in this particular phone conversation were amidst truths, and so I wonder if the lies don't indicate something very important.

In the telephone conversation, Jodi told Flores that her own car was in poor mechanical condition, so she decided to rent a car. She said she picked up the rental in Redding, and was driven there by her future sister-in-law.

Upon picking up the car, she then "went back" to her brother's house to nap, as she had been up all night. Jodi doesn't state which brother, and she doesn't state where that brother lives.

She continues by telling Flores that she got on the road (after the nap) and visited friends in Santa Cruz, first, and later visited friends in Monterey, where she spent the night.

Okay, since she's still an innocent woman at this point in her trip, why would she feel the need to state that she visited friends in Santa Cruz (a coastal community) when she really took I-5 South from Redding and ended up at McDonald's in Lodi at 7:32 PM that evening? Santa Cruz and Lodi are not near each other. It's a lie that only makes sense if she needed to hide something about having been in Lodi, or having been along I-5 South in the Sacramento area.

Incidentally, she picked up the rental car at 8:04 AM on June 2nd. And she purchased $15.00 in gas in Yreka at 5:37 AM, before departing Yreka with her sister-in-law for Redding. If Jodi was simply going to go back to her brother's house and take a nap after picking up the rental car, why would she not just continue sleeping in Yreka and pick up the rental car later in the day on June 2nd? I suppose it's possible that her sister-in-law was only available to drive Jodi to Redding at a certain hour of the day...

Anyway, the drive from Redding to the McDonald's in Lodi takes 3 hours. Jodi rented the car at 8:04 AM and she is documented as having been in Lodi at 7:32 PM. That's a span of 11.5 hours to drive just 3 hours. What happened during the other 8.5 hours???

Yes, she said she napped at her brother's, but I'm not sure I'm buying it...

Again, why the heck was this monster in Lodi at 7:32 PM?

And why state she visited friends in Santa Cruz?

What is she hiding so early in her trip???

In the time since I've written the above post, I've learned the following about "Santa Cruz" from watching a video of Jodi's testimony on Day 19. (Everything is according to Jodi, so God knows what's accurate.)

On Monday, June 2nd, Jodi pumped $15.00 gas into her Infiniti in Yreka and drove it to Redding. She parked it at her brother's house. Her brother lived in Redding with his fiance at the time.

Her future sister-in-law drove her to the Budget location at the Redding Airport. Once she obtained the rental car at 8:04 AM, Jodi went back to her brother's house and took a nap, because she had been up all night talking to Travis via telephone.

After her nap, she got on I-5 in the "late morning" and began her trip to Monterey, to visit friends. Along the way, she remembered that she was supposed to meet Gus Searcy in San Jose, but felt too tired, so she pulled over and slept in the parking lot of a McDonald's in "one of those small towns north or south of Sacramento. I think it was Corning."

(Sidebar: Corning is located just 49 miles south of Redding--not even near Sacramento!)

We know from documentation that Jodi actually visited a McDonald's in Lodi at 7:32 PM on Monday, June 2nd. Whether or not she arrived earlier than 7:32 PM and took a nap in the parking lot before purchasing the french fries and bottle of water is anybody's guess. I think she may have gotten her hair dyed between Redding and Lodi...

Her final destination for that day was Monterey, to visit Matt McCartney (and Darryl Brewer), but she spoke with Matt McCartney while driving and learned that he was in Santa Cruz, so he told her to drive to Santa Cruz.

Santa Cruz is 2 hours from Lodi, but 70 minutes after having purchased the french fries and bottled water in Lodi, Arias purchased gas at a Valero Country Store. I haven't been able to find a full receipt for the Valero Country Store purchase, so I don't know where that Valero was located, or how much she spent.

Nurmi asked Jodi what time she had arrived in Santa Cruz. Arias said, "It was dark, but restaurants and bars were still open..." She stated that she and Matt (and a friend of his) went to The Red Room in Santa Cruz and had appetizers. After The Red Room, they went to a karaoke bar. At the end of the evening, Jodi followed Matt and his friend to their apartment in Monterey. The apartment was part of Matt's friend's parents' house, but "sectioned off."

The next morning, Jodi visited Darryl Brewer at his residence in Pacific Grove.

So that's the clarification on Santa Cruz, I guess. I don't know. Something still smells fishy. Well, everything smells fishy, but I feel there's something that Jodi is hiding with regard to her activities in the Lodi area. In Day 19's testimony, she remembered the exact price of gas in Yreka on June 2, 2008, and she remembered that she had omelets for breakfast at Darryl Brewer's, so I feel that having stated Corning as the town where she slept in the empty McDonald's parking lot--a town just 50 minutes from Redding, where she had just gotten up from a nap!-- is an intentional lie, not a memory gaffe.

I am confident that she remembers exactly the location where she pulled over to sleep in a McDonald's parking lot, IF that's actually what she did between "late morning" and 7:32 PM, when she was documented as having been in Lodi, after purchasing french fries and bottled water.

Is it possible Jodi slept in a McDonald's parking lot in Corning, just 50 minutes after beginning her road trip, then purchased french fries and bottled water at a McDonald's in Lodi at 7:32 PM? Yes, it is. Is it likely? No, it isn't.

Agreed. I'm not hung up on the water; a poster had asked why Jodi paid for water at McDonald's in Lodi, CA when she allegedly had a case of water in her trunk.

Again, if she did, indeed, have a case of water in her trunk, she could've purchased it at any Costco along the way.

Or she took the case of water from Travis' house when she left knowing she could not go in anywhere to clean up. jmo

Guaranteed that JM has a copy of what made up the 3rd transaction at Tesoro in SLC

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Guaranteed that JM has a copy of what made up the 3rd transaction at Tesoro in SLC

Since it was part of the premeditation from the beginning, I would guess he probably knows for sure it was gas. jmo

Or she took the case of water from Travis' house when she left knowing she could not go in anywhere to clean up. jmo

I think she was mostly clean when she left Travis' residence. I wrote earlier today, in this forum, how I feel that she showered with Travis' body on the floor of that shower, because she left no traces of blood in the bedroom, or downstairs, etc. Yes, a puddle of blood from the throat slitting existed where the carpet meets the bathroom hallway, but considering the grizzly murder, Jodi essentially didn't leave blood anywhere else in the house but the bathroom.

If she had used water to cleanse herself while driving on US-93 North, on her way to Mesquite, NV (by way of the Hoover Dam), then it might've just been to remove some blood around her fingernails, or on her arms from carrying her bloody clothes out of the house, etc.

Something just occurred to me...

Like other posters on this site, I've been perplexed as to why Jodi would fill up all three gas cans in Salt Lake City, UT. She no longer needed to remain undetected, so why carry backup gas?

Well, she apparently owns/owned an Infiniti. I don't know the model, but in Day 19's testimony, she described it as a "sports car" that did not get good gas mileage.

I did a quick Google search and am thinking she likely owned a G35 Sport from 2007, or perhaps 2006. Maybe 2005, I don't know.

Whatever the case, the 2006 and 2007 models feature a gas tank capacity of 20 gallons--and the highway mileage is stated to be a lousy 24 mpg.

Maybe Miss Frugal filled the 3 gas gas in SLC to put in her Infiniti upon returning to Redding on June 7th. It's documented that she purchased $40.00 in gas at a Valero in Redding 30 minutes before returning the rental car, and because of the timing of this purchase, it's likely that this gas went into the rental car, even though the Budget receipt shows that the rental car was returned with an empty tank. (If the car was returned with an empty tank, Jodi would've been charged for the cost of filling its tank, and I don't know if the itemization on the $233.97 Budget receipt shows a penalty fee for gas.)

I'm thinking Jodi used the full WalMart gas can and its contents to create a bonfire in the desert to destroy evidence, on her way from SLC to Yreka on June 6th. The other two gas cans filled in SLC were perhaps dumped into the gas tank of her Infiniti, stored for the week at her brother's house in Redding.

We know that she purchased $15.00 gas in Yreka on June 2nd, the morning of her departure. $15.00 amounted to roughly 3 gallons, as gas was almost $5.00/gallon at that time (according to Jodi's Day 19's testimony). She probably put in just enough gas on that morning to get her to Redding, but knew that she would need gas upon returning to Redding, so wanted to save a few pennies by purchasing cheaper gas in Salt Lake City.

I don't think Jodi premeditated this gas purchase in SLC, but perhaps it had occurred to her before she left SLC. "My Infiniti in Redding needs gas, I'm getting low on funds and gas is cheaper here in SLC, so maybe I should utilize these three gas cans I have in my trunk..."

Since the capacity of the gas tank of Jodi's Infiniti is likely 20 gallons, the remaining 10 gallons from Salt Lake City would've been accommodated easily, leaving Darryl's two empty gas cans to be stored at Jodi's grandmother's.

Hell, the Infiniti probably would've accommodated all 15 gallons. If that were the case, maybe Jodi just tossed the empty WalMart gas can in the trash on her way back to Yreka from Redding on June 7th...

My calculations are 2,685 miles, per the Google Maps link below.

But that still leaves 149 unaccounted miles...

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R...kvIEo71pHSVDFXDzZ77FgzHw&gl=us&mra=pr&t=m&z=6

With the inclusion of Santa Cruz, which I didn't know about at the time of the post above, I now calculate the total miles of Arias' trip to be 2,693.

That still leaves 141 unaccounted miles...

Google Maps link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R...SVDFXDzZ77FgzHw&oq=Redding,+CA&mra=ls&t=m&z=6

With the inclusion of Santa Cruz, which I didn't know about at the time of the post above, I now calculate the total miles of Arias' trip to be 2,693.

Google Maps link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R...SVDFXDzZ77FgzHw&oq=Redding,+CA&mra=ls&t=m&z=6

Apparently Arias borrowed money from a gentleman named Paul Stern who lives in Big Sur. It is entirely possible that she drove down to Big Sur to get that cash ..

Google Maps link:

Jodi drove back to her brother's home from Redding and then back through Redding on her way back down through Redding after her nap. She also drove back to Darryl's house to return the remote and she was driving around Salinas. That could easily account for the extra miles. jmo

I think the check for $699. is odd because to a close friend, unless one is resentful about a reimbursement ....for say 1001 trips to take before you die (or whatever it was called)well, that cost money...why not just round it up to $700? Easier to deduct in your bank book, maybe Jodi didn't do this as she kept getting insufficient funds on her account.

extra miles might of been when she pulled of the side of the road and threw the gun and burned up the other evidence? (just a thought)

Apparently Arias borrowed money from a gentleman named Paul Stern who lives in Big Sur. It is entirely possible that she drove down to Big Sur to get that cash ..

I'm not aware of this. Is it somehow documented?

In her testimony on Day 19, she makes no mention of having driven to Big Sur. She's a liar, so not having mentioned it wouldn't mean it didn't occur, but I'm wondering if there's any proof to support a visit to Big Sur on June 2nd.

Jodi could've driven down to Big Sur after doing the banking at Washington Mutual in Monterey, and after having returned the remote to Darryl--but before having driven out to Salinas.

Round-trip from Monterey to Big Sur would have added 56 miles to her trip...

extra miles might of been when she pulled of the side of the road and threw the gun and burned up the other evidence? (just a thought)

Yes, if she lit a bonfire to destroy evidence, she must've driven "off the grid" to do so.

It's my understanding that Jodi drove Leslie Udi in the Ford Focus to the activities in Salt Lake City. If I'm correct about that, then the interior of the Ford Focus must've looked presentable at that time.

I have a theory that she dumped the gun off the Hoover Dam, while driving over it, but her bloody clothes and anything else must've been destroyed prior to having arrived in Salt Lake City.

We know that she arrived in West Jordan, UT between 10:00 AM and 11:00 AM. The drive from Mesa, AZ to Mesquite, NV via US-93 is 6.5 hours (she gassed up the Ford Focus in Mesquite, NV), and the drive from Mesquite, NV to West Jordan, UT via I-15 is 5 hours. That's 11.5 hours of driving.

If Jodi left Travis' house by 7:00 PM on June 4th, after having attempted to clean up the bathroom, etc., and if she arrived in West Jordan, UT at 10:30 AM on June 5th, that leaves approximately 3 unaccounted hours, give or take. (There is a one-hour time zone difference between AZ and UT during the summer. AZ does not participate in daylight savings, so during the summer, AZ is on CA time--but UT is not on CA time.)

3 hours is enough time to go off-grid to burn evidence.

My only thought is that she didn't have a ton of gas at her disposal between Mesa, AZ and West Jordan, UT for driving off-grid and creating a bonfire. She needed the full tank of Pasadena gas to travel from Pasadena to Mesa, and she needed almost all 15 gallons in the gas cans to travel from Mesa, AZ to Mesquite, NV (402 miles via US-93).

Jodi drove back to her brother's home from Redding and then back through Redding on her way back down through Redding after her nap. She also drove back to Darryl's house to return the remote and she was driving around Salinas. That could easily account for the extra miles. jmo

I understand that Jodi's brother lived in Redding at that time, so no significant extra miles in Redding.

Regarding Monterey/Salinas, according to her Day 19 testimony, Jodi left Darryl's at approximately 7:30 AM on June 2nd. I don't think she drove to Salinas at that hour; I think she remained in the Monterey area.

Then Jodi spoke to Darryl at approximately 10:00 AM, when Darryl called her about the missing remote control. Assuming the time of the phone call is accurate, she was definitely still in Monterey at this time, because the Washington Mutual deposits took place at 10:11 AM, so she likely drove to Darryl's house to return the remote after the Washington Mutual visit, and then drove out to Salinas to get her nails done, and to shop at Wal-Mart, etc. The Wal-Mart receipt is approximately 3:30 pm, and she is in Pasadena at 8:45 PM, so she made no stops between Salinas and Pasadena.

She made a point to include the detail that she waited a long time at the nail salon in Salinas, so she's very likely covering her midday activities on June 2nd.

June 2nd was a Tuesday. How busy could a nail salon in Salinas have been on a Tuesday during the middle of the day???

assuming she paid cash for her "nail" appt. as I dont recall getting one ever when paid in cash. Anyone have experience with a receipt for a salon using cash?

In her testimony on Day 19, she makes no mention of having driven to Big Sur. She's a liar, so not having mentioned it wouldn't mean it didn't occur, but I'm wondering if there's any proof to support a visit to Big Sur on June 2nd.

Jodi could've driven down to Big Sur after doing the banking at Washington Mutual in Monterey, and after having returned the remote to Darryl--but before having driven out to Salinas.

Paul Stern was interviewed on the one of the HLN shows saying he had given Arias money just before she left on the fateful trip. I don't have a link to the clip though ...

She could have just kept going down the 1 to LA. She didn't have to turn around.

Considering she changed the plan of driving to Monterey to the plan of driving to Santa Cruz, this route opens questions about gas usage. The biggest one is how did she use so much gas, even in the beginning? A new possibility for gas fill ups is as follows (according to receipts).
A possibility of her travel, adding in the trip to Santa Cruz could be as follows:
On 6/2 (except for the Benicia charge which is not dated on the receipt)
• Redding to Lodi: 197 mi: 2hrs 57 min (no gas receipts for Lodi, but this is where she might have turned West to start the part the trip to Santa Cruz, arriving that same night 6/2) [Lodi 7:32pm according to McD receipt]
• Lodi to Benicia 61.9 mi: 1hr 12 min (I include Benicia, CA because on the last receipt Juan showed in court there was a charge on her Master Card for Arco/Quick Stuff Benicia for $30.04
• Benicia to Vallejo 6.7 mi: 15min. (I include this because there is a charge from Valero Country Store [8:41pm], There is a Valero Country Store there right off Route 80, which goes down to Santa Cruz) But how could she fill up twice within 6 mi of each other?
• Vallejo to Santa Cruz 96.6 mi: 1hr 42 min
• Santa Cruz to Monterey 42.3mi: 48mins
• Monterey to Salinas 23.5 mi: 30mins
Lodi: 7:32pm
Benicia: no time on receipt
Valero Country Store: 8:41pm
Santa Cruz: 10:30pm? JA tells Det. Flores she arrived when restaurants and stores still open.
Monterey: Arrives after dinner/clubs with MM in Santa Cruz

This route is based on her telling Flores that she went to Santa Cruz to meet MM and then after dinner/club went to Monterey for the night. From Redding Route 5-80-780-680-880-17
Redding to Benicia, CA is 191 miles about 6 gallons of gas. Check Lodi, CA (6/2 7:32pm) and Valero, CA (6/2 8:41pm, Master Card 2015) expenses Benicia, CA $30.04.
I can include a screen shot of a map route but did not know how to do that, can I copy and paste it in the box I submit a posting in? and is it OK to use a google map?
This seems complicated! But I can work to clarify it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back