Arias Trial; Compare the receipts and the monetary transactions

Thank you. I actually found the transcript online, so I have read what Paul Stern said on Dr. Drew.

I wish Dr. Drew had asked Stern what time of day Arias had visited him, how much money she borrowed from him, and what color her hair was when she saw him.

Stern only stated that Jodi had visited him "the day before she left." If she had visited Stern on Monday, June 2nd, then she didn't arrive in Big Sur until almost 11:00 PM, because she was in Lodi, CA (three hours north of Big Sur) at the McDonald's at 7:32 PM, and she stopped at a Valero Corner Store (location unknown) for gas at 8:41 PM.

But perhaps Jodi visited Stern in the morning on June 3rd, after breakfast with Darryl in Monterey and before making bank deposits at Washington Mutual in Monterey. Perhaps Stern thought June 3rd was "the day before she left." Who knows what Jodi might have told him with regard to the day she intended to depart for Mesa, AZ?

Apparently Jodi left Darryl Brewer's at 7:30 AM on June 3rd, and the WaMu bank deposits took place at 10:11 AM on June 3rd, so that would've given Jodi plenty of time to drive down to Big Sur and back up to Monterey (42 minutes each way).

If Dr. Drew had asked Stern what time of day Jodi arrived--or at least whether it was day or night--we would have a better idea of her activities on Monday, June 2nd or Tuesday, June 3rd.

Another question for Stern: "How did Jodi pay you back, as you have stated? Did she mail you a check, or did she pay you in-person?" If Jodi had mailed Stern a check, it would've left a paper trail...

She could have just kept going down the 1 to LA. She didn't have to turn around.

Well, she is documented as having been in Salinas at 3:22 PM, and in Pasadena at something like 8:45 PM. That means she took Route 101 (304 miles and estimated to take 4 hours and 40 minutes, give or take).

If she did, indeed, visit Paul Stern in Big Sur, it was either late at night on Monday, June 2nd, or after breakfast with Brewer and before Washington Mutual bank deposits in Monterey on Tuesday, June 3rd.

Ok, that's right. She had to take the 101. So is the alleged long wait at the nail salon really cover for going to Big Sur? I'm really curious why Stern was never called.

Or maybe she visited Stern in the morning and to get money to pay back Brewer for something, and that's why she went back there?

Too many possibilities.

Considering she changed the plan of driving to Monterey to the plan of driving to Santa Cruz, this route opens questions about gas usage. The biggest one is how did she use so much gas, even in the beginning? A new possibility for gas fill ups is as follows (according to receipts).
A possibility of her travel, adding in the trip to Santa Cruz could be as follows:
On 6/2 (except for the Benicia charge which is not dated on the receipt)
• Redding to Lodi: 197 mi: 2hrs 57 min (no gas receipts for Lodi, but this is where she might have turned West to start the part the trip to Santa Cruz, arriving that same night 6/2) [Lodi 7:32pm according to McD receipt]
• Lodi to Benicia 61.9 mi: 1hr 12 min (I include Benicia, CA because on the last receipt Juan showed in court there was a charge on her Master Card for Arco/Quick Stuff Benicia for $30.04
• Benicia to Vallejo 6.7 mi: 15min. (I include this because there is a charge from Valero Country Store [8:41pm], There is a Valero Country Store there right off Route 80, which goes down to Santa Cruz) But how could she fill up twice within 6 mi of each other?
• Vallejo to Santa Cruz 96.6 mi: 1hr 42 min
• Santa Cruz to Monterey 42.3mi: 48mins
• Monterey to Salinas 23.5 mi: 30mins
Lodi: 7:32pm
Benicia: no time on receipt
Valero Country Store: 8:41pm
Santa Cruz: 10:30pm? JA tells Det. Flores she arrived when restaurants and stores still open.
Monterey: Arrives after dinner/clubs with MM in Santa Cruz

This route is based on her telling Flores that she went to Santa Cruz to meet MM and then after dinner/club went to Monterey for the night. From Redding Route 5-80-780-680-880-17
Redding to Benicia, CA is 191 miles about 6 gallons of gas. Check Lodi, CA (6/2 7:32pm) and Valero, CA (6/2 8:41pm, Master Card 2015) expenses Benicia, CA $30.04.
I can include a screen shot of a map route but did not know how to do that, can I copy and paste it in the box I submit a posting in? and is it OK to use a google map?
This seems complicated! But I can work to clarify it.

Please clarify the Benicia information, whenever you might have a moment. I'm not requesting that you clarify the entire post above, but I would love some clarification on the source of the "ARCO Benicia" transaction.

My understanding is Jodi drove from Redding to Lodi, then to Santa Cruz. But I know nothing about an ARCO receipt from Benicia.

Several Valeros exist between Lodi and Santa Cruz, so I just assumed that she gassed up at one of those at 8:41 PM on June 2nd.

If she had driven from Redding to Santa Cruz by way of Lodi, then the point where she visited a Valero at 8:41 PM would put her mileage at approximately 255 (and in the Pleasanton area). The gas tank wouldn't have been empty at that point, but she might've wanted to fill up the tank before approaching Santa Cruz and Monterey.

The thing is, gassing up at 8:41 PM on June 2nd would not have gotten Jodi to Pasadena, CA at 8:45 PM on June 3rd. A full tank of gas in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus would've afforded her perhaps 390 miles, give or take. (13 gallon useable capacity X 30 mpg.) If Jodi gassed up near Pleasanton on June 2nd (69 minutes after Lodi, on the way to Santa Cruz), then the approximate number of miles she drove after having filled the tank at that Valero Corner Store is just shy of 500 (Valero Corner Store to Santa Cruz to Monterey to Salinas to Pasadena).

A full tank of gas in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus would not have achieved 500 miles.

So Jodi filled up the tank again at some point between the Valero Corner Store at 8:41 PM on June 2nd and the ARCO in Pasadena at 8:45 PM on June 3rd.

But we have no record of that transaction...

Ok, that's right. She had to take the 101. So is the alleged long wait at the nail salon really cover for going to Big Sur? I'm really curious why Stern was never called.

Or maybe she visited Stern in the morning and to get money to pay back Brewer for something, and that's why she went back there?

Too many possibilities.

Yes, too many possibilities.

Jodi picked up the rental car at 8:04 AM on June 2nd. Did she really go back to her brother's (in Redding) to nap and then got on the road "late morning," as she testified in Defense Direct, or did she get on the road immediately upon picking up the car at 8:04 AM?

Jodi stated in Defense Direct that she was supposed to have met Guy Searcy in San Jose on June 2nd, but felt too tired, so pulled over at "one of those small towns north or south of Sacramento," to sleep in a McDonald's parking lot. She stated, "I think it was Corning."

Corning is 50 miles south of Redding, and 2 hours north of Sacramento.

If she had just gotten up from a nap, as she testified, would she pull over to sleep after having driven just 50 miles?

11.5 hours after renting the car, Jodi next shows up on the grid at a McDonald's in Lodi at 7:32 PM. It takes just 3 hours to drive from Redding to Lodi. Even if she left her brother's house in the "late morning," she would have been in Lodi at 2:00 PM, not 7:32 PM. Either she really did pull over in Corning and slept for an additional 5.5 hours, or she's covering her activities between renting the car at 8:04 AM and being at McDonald's in Lodi at 7:32 PM. (Or she arrived at the McDonald's in Lodi at 2:00 PM and slept in that parking lot until 7:32 PM, when she purchased french fries and bottled water.)

I think the nap at her brother's in Redding might be accurate, but pulling over 50 miles after departing Redding is not accurate. I think she might've dyed her hair during the day on June 2nd, before arriving at the McDonald's in Lodi at 7:32 PM.

Yeah, I wonder why JM didn't call Stern.

I'm guessing this is why...(sigh)

Sheriff log: Man arrested for DUI found with cocaine

The Monterey County Herald
Posted: 03/06/2012 09:53:52 AM PST

Date of Report: 3/5/2012

Time of Report: 23:12

Deputy Name: Lines, Jason

Report Number: 01337-12

Charges: 23152 CVC

Suspect Arrested Y/N: Yes

Arrestee: Paul A Stern

Synopsis: A Big Sur resident was stopped due to his erratic driving. The driver was determined to be extremely intoxicated. Subject was arrested for DUI and was found with cocaine. Suspect became combative while being transported to jail by CHP.

I found the Benicia, CA information from the youtube video uploaded by Tawndilly from Day 29 when JM entered Exhibit 523, it was the Master Card Bank info that had the Tesoro gas charges on it. The link I provided here is cued up to the bank info. I have a screen shot but cannot upload it. If you play the video you can freeze the receipt somewhere close to 58:53 and then hit stop.

The bank statement is from June 1-30 so it is close to that time period but Benicia, CA is not near any of her routes that we know of. There is no visible date either so we cannot pinpoint a time. I don't know if any exhibits are online, if so I can't find them. If I could find the Valero receipt, a screen shot might show an address, no clue where that would be in all the hours of video's.

If she was in Santa Cruz around 10:00pm on 6/2 she probably couldn't have made it to Big Sur, and after the find of PaulS he might have not been reliable. Especially because he was never interviewed again by media.

There might be other receipts on Exhibit 523 along with the Benicia and Tesoro receipts. JM only showed a small portion of the bank statement.

Jodi Arias Murder Trial Day 29. Afternoon Session. Part 2. Juan Martinez asking questions - YouTube

I found the Benicia, CA information from the youtube video uploaded by Tawndilly from Day 29 when JM entered Exhibit 523, it was the Master Card Bank info that had the Tesoro gas charges on it. The link I provided here is cued up to the bank info. I have a screen shot but cannot upload it. If you play the video you can freeze the receipt somewhere close to 58:53 and then hit stop.

The bank statement is from June 1-30 so it is close to that time period but Benicia, CA is not near any of her routes that we know of. There is no visible date either so we cannot pinpoint a time. I don't know if any exhibits are online, if so I can't find them. If I could find the Valero receipt, a screen shot might show an address, no clue where that would be in all the hours of video's.

If she was in Santa Cruz around 10:00pm on 6/2 she probably couldn't have made it to Big Sur, and after the find of PaulS he might have not been reliable. Especially because he was never interviewed again by media.

There might be other receipts on Exhibit 523 along with the Benicia and Tesoro receipts. JM only showed a small portion of the bank statement.

Jodi Arias Murder Trial Day 29. Afternoon Session. Part 2. Juan Martinez asking questions - YouTube

Thank you for the followup. I watched that testimony live, on Thursday, AND IT WAS SO FRIGGIN' AWESOME when he said, "But you got even MORE gas, didn't you???"

Pause. Blink. "I dunno."

Based upon her facial expression, it looked as if the devil, himself, had just reached into her blouse and groped her $300.00 implants!

But having written that, while it's clear that the transactions on Jodi's WaMu statement are not listed in exact chronological order (the Mesquite, NV transaction is listed before the three Salt Lake City, UT transactions, even though Jodi encountered Mesquite before SLC; the gas in Sparks, NV is listed before the gas in Winnemucca,, NV, even though Jodi encountered Winnemucca first; the In 'n' Out Burger transaction in Sparks comes several lines after the 7-Eleven gas in Sparks, even though both of these transactions occurred within minutes of each other), I do not believe that the Benicia ARCO is associated with the trip to Mesa, AZ.

I feel confident that the Benicia ARCO transaction, as well as the Sacramento County Airport transaction, go back further than the scope of this trial.

Regarding Santa Cruz/Big Sur, if Jodi did, indeed, visit Paul Stern at approximately 11:00 PM on June 2nd, my thoughts were that Santa Cruz didn't occur--that it was a total lie to cover up the trip to Big Sur, and that Matt McCartney was in on that lie.

If Jodi had traveled to Big Sur on the night of June 2nd, I think she must've returned directly to Matt McCartney and his friend's apartment in Monterey. No trip to Santa Cruz.

But I'm not so confident that Jodi drove to Big Sur on Monday, June 2nd. If it's true that she visited Paul Stern to borrow money, I think it must've occurred on Tuesday, June 3rd, between 7:30 AM and 10:10 AM.

Thank you for the followup. I watched that testimony live, on Thursday, AND IT WAS SO FRIGGIN' AWESOME when he said, "But you got even MORE gas, didn't you???"

Pause. Blink. "I dunno."

Based upon her facial expression, it looked as if the devil, himself, had just reached into her blouse and groped her $300.00 implants!

But having written that, while it's clear that the transactions on Jodi's WaMu statement are not listed in exact chronological order (the Mesquite, NV transaction is listed before the three Salt Lake City, UT transactions, even though Jodi encountered Mesquite before SLC; the gas in Sparks, NV is listed before the gas in Winnemucca,, NV, even though Jodi encountered Winnemucca first; the In 'n' Out Burger transaction in Sparks comes several lines after the 7-Eleven gas in Sparks, even though both of these transactions occurred within minutes of each other), I do not believe that the Benicia ARCO is associated with the trip to Mesa, AZ.

I feel confident that the Benicia ARCO transaction, as well as the Sacramento County Airport transaction, go back further than the scope of this trial.

Regarding Santa Cruz/Big Sur, if Jodi did, indeed, visit Paul Stern at approximately 11:00 PM on June 2nd, my thoughts were that Santa Cruz didn't occur--that it was a total lie to cover up the trip to Big Sur, and that Matt McCartney was in on that lie.

If Jodi had traveled to Big Sur on the night of June 2nd, I think she must've returned directly to Matt McCartney and his friend's apartment in Monterey. No trip to Santa Cruz.

But I'm not so confident that Jodi drove to Big Sur on Monday, June 2nd. If it's true that she visited Paul Stern to borrow money, I think it must've occurred on Tuesday, June 3rd, between 7:30 AM and 10:10 AM.

I thought Stern said he had given Arias the money the night before she left meaning she was in Big Sur and most likely not in Santa Cruz. And we've got no reason not to believe Stern but Arias is a different story....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I thought Stern said he had given Arias the money the night before she left meaning she was in Big Sur and most likely not in Santa Cruz. And we've got no reason not to believe Stern but Arias is a different story....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The transcript of Paul Stern's appearance on Dr. Drew has Stern saying that Jodi visited him "the day before she left." Jodi might've visited Stern in Big Sur on Tuesday, June 3rd (between 7:30 AM and 10:10 AM) and had simply lied to Stern when she told him she was leaving the following day (Wednesday, June 4th).

We're assuming that Jodi was truthful with Stern regarding the day she would be leaving.

If she lied to Stern about her intended departure date, then Santa Cruz could've happened in the evening on Monday, June 2nd.

Or perhaps Jodi did, indeed, visit Paul Stern on Monday night, and perhaps she was honest with Paul about the day she was planning to leave (Tuesday, June 3rd). If that was the case, then Santa Cruz did not happen, as there wouldn't have been time to reach a restaurant in Santa Cruz that is still serving appetizers after having traveled from Lodi to Big Sur to Santa Cruz with a start time of 7:32 PM.

It's a 3-hour trip from Lodi to Big Sur, meaning she would arrive in Big Sur at 10:30 PM at the earliest. (We know she stopped for gas at 8:41 PM, so that right there would have delayed her a few minutes.)

It's a 90 minute trip from Big Sur to Santa Cruz--not including the time that Jodi would have spent chatting up Paul Stern in his home, etc.

If Jodi had visited Big Sur on Monday night, June 2nd, and if she drove to Santa Cruz afterward, that would mean she would have arrived in Santa Cruz at 12:00 AM, at the very, very earliest. No restaurant in Santa Cruz is serving appetizers at midnight. Drinks, yes. Appetizers? No. (I don't know what time "last call" takes place in California, but Jodi stated they "sat around, had appetizers and drinks at The Red Room, then went to a karaoke bar).

So either the visit to Santa Cruz on Monday night is a lie because Jodi was actually in Big Sur on Monday night (and Matt McCartney is in on the lie), or Jodi actually went to Santa Cruz on Monday night and then visited Paul Stern in Big Sur during the day on Tuesday, June 3rd.

I'm not implying that you're suggesting that Jodi went to Santa Cruz after Big Sur on Monday night. I understand what you're saying. But I tend to think that Jodi visited Paul Stern in Big Sur on Tuesday, June 3rd, after departing breakfast with Darryl Brewer in Monterey at 7:30 AM and before the WaMu transactions in Monterey at 10:10 AM.

Or perhaps Paul Stern is an alcoholic coke-head who, for whatever reason, fabricated a visit from Jodi Arias...

FYI, JM has requested the Walmart and Tesoro records.

3/12/2013 MOT - Motion - Party (001) 3/12/2013
NOTE: TO COMPEL; BUSINESS RECORDS FROM WAL-MART AND TESORO

The transcript of Paul Stern's appearance on Dr. Drew has Stern saying that Jodi visited him "the day before she left." Jodi might've visited Stern in Big Sur on Tuesday, June 3rd (between 7:30 AM and 10:10 AM) and had simply lied to Stern when she told him she was leaving the following day (Wednesday, June 4th).

We're assuming that Jodi was truthful with Stern regarding the day she would be leaving.

If she lied to Stern about her intended departure date, then Santa Cruz could've happened in the evening on Monday, June 2nd.

Or perhaps Jodi did, indeed, visit Paul Stern on Monday night, and perhaps she was honest with Paul about the day she was planning to leave (Tuesday, June 3rd). If that was the case, then Santa Cruz did not happen, as there wouldn't have been time to reach a restaurant in Santa Cruz that is still serving appetizers after having traveled from Lodi to Big Sur to Santa Cruz with a start time of 7:32 PM.

It's a 3-hour trip from Lodi to Big Sur, meaning she would arrive in Big Sur at 10:30 PM at the earliest. (We know she stopped for gas at 8:41 PM, so that right there would have delayed her a few minutes.)

It's a 90 minute trip from Big Sur to Santa Cruz--not including the time that Jodi would have spent chatting up Paul Stern in his home, etc.

If Jodi had visited Big Sur on Monday night, June 2nd, and if she drove to Santa Cruz afterward, that would mean she would have arrived in Santa Cruz at 12:00 AM, at the very, very earliest. No restaurant in Santa Cruz is serving appetizers at midnight. Drinks, yes. Appetizers? No. (I don't know what time "last call" takes place in California, but Jodi stated they "sat around, had appetizers and drinks at The Red Room, then went to a karaoke bar).

So either the visit to Santa Cruz on Monday night is a lie because Jodi was actually in Big Sur on Monday night (and Matt McCartney is in on the lie), or Jodi actually went to Santa Cruz on Monday night and then visited Paul Stern in Big Sur during the day on Tuesday, June 3rd.

I'm not implying that you're suggesting that Jodi went to Santa Cruz after Big Sur on Monday night. I understand what you're saying. But I tend to think that Jodi visited Paul Stern in Big Sur on Tuesday, June 3rd, after departing breakfast with Darryl Brewer in Monterey at 7:30 AM and before the WaMu transactions in Monterey at 10:10 AM.

Or perhaps Paul Stern is an alcoholic coke-head who, for whatever reason, fabricated a visit from Jodi Arias...

Well, I don't believe a word out of Arias' mouth and certainly not of the mouth of MM either. So I'm going with Paul Stern and his version that he loaned money to Arias the NIGHT before she left (6/2) ... so Santa Cruz is 100% out in my mind as is everything else in Arias' story.

Well, I don't believe a word out of Arias' mouth and certainly not of the mouth of MM either. So I'm going with Paul Stern and his version that he loaned money to Arias the NIGHT before she left (6/2) ... so Santa Cruz is 100% out in my mind as is everything else in Arias' story.

Yes, I would not be surprised if Santa Cruz is a total lie--and that Matt McCartney is in on the lie.

In some online research I did on Matt McCartney last week ("Matthew Leroy McCartney"), I discovered that he has/had a business in Big Sur called "Manifesting Visions, Inc." It's categorized as a "Low Vision Specialist Optometrist," and was founded in 2006.

Interesting that Jodi's close friend is an optometrist, or owns an eyeglass store, and yet she lived for years and years unaware that she (allegedly) requires eyeglasses to see clearly...

FYI, JM has requested the Walmart and Tesoro records.

NOTE: TO COMPEL; BUSINESS RECORDS FROM WAL-MART AND TESORO

Are we sure the defense didn't file this motion? I heard that a motion to compel had been filed yesterday--but I understood it was the defense who had filed it.

Hey, if the records exist, I don't care who filed the motion!

I so wish JM wouid get ahold of Jodi's driver's license for the year Travis was killed. There is a vision test required. It will prove one of two things. (1) Jodi did require corrected vision to drive, meaning she's lying, or (2) establish that her vision wasn't bad enough to even register, meaning her claim of being unable to recognize the license plate is a lie. Either way, it's a win.

Did anybody notice the jury question was (paraphrasing) "How is it you cannot remember exactly how much money Travis lent you but you remember every cent you lent him" was responded to in reverse? She said she knew how much she owed him because it was in her journal. She didn't say this by way of correcting the question but, I think, not realizing she'd turned it inside out.

It's interesting to me how she uses her lies not only to misinform or deflect but also makes them do double duty - she can't resist adding a spin that makes them serve to maker her look good.

Did anybody notice the jury question was (paraphrasing) "How is it you cannot remember exactly how much money Travis lent you but you remember every cent you lent him" was responded to in reverse? She said she knew how much she owed him because it was in her journal. She didn't say this by way of correcting the question but, I think, not realizing she'd turned it inside out.

It's interesting to me how she uses her lies not only to misinform or deflect but also makes them do double duty - she can't resist adding a spin that makes them serve to maker her look good.

Jodi Arias is so incredibly unwell...

Are we sure the defense didn't file this motion? I heard that a motion to compel had been filed yesterday--but I understood it was the defense who had filed it.

Hey, if the records exist, I don't care who filed the motion!

There's a separate request on TA's "criminal history." Probably because of that story of stolen identity.

NOTE: TO COMPEL CRIMINAL HISTORY OF TRAVIS ALEXANDER

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member