Arias Trial; Compare the receipts and the monetary transactions

I so wish JM wouid get ahold of Jodi's driver's license for the year Travis was killed. There is a vision test required. It will prove one of two things. (1) Jodi did require corrected vision to drive, meaning she's lying, or (2) establish that her vision wasn't bad enough to even register, meaning her claim of being unable to recognize the license plate is a lie. Either way, it's a win.

Her license was shown in court. It did not have a vision requirement. JM should have mentioned it.

jodi%2Barias%2Blicense.jpg

There's a separate request on TA's "criminal history." Probably because of that story of stolen identity.

3/12/2013 MOT - Motion - Party (001) 3/12/2013
NOTE: TO COMPEL CRIMINAL HISTORY OF TRAVIS ALEXANDER

Aha! Thank you!

Of course, we now know that it was Travis' brother who had used Travis' name during the brother's arrest in California. Fingerprints prove it was not Travis.

In light of that, I would assume the defense has since abandoned their plan to introduce this evidence. But if they're still foolish enough to bring it into court, to make some sort of assertion re: Travis' character, the jury will not be pleased by the ruse.

But I'm seeing that both motions to compel were filed by "Party (001)," so I'm wondering if "(001)" refers only to the defense, and that the defense has filed both motions...

I don't know if this has ever yet been definitively answered, but I do have info about a cash refund from Target, Walmart, and Kmart.

Yes, each of the above will give a refund in cash under certain circumstances. One of those circumstances is that the customer has paid cash for the merchandise and they present it for return along with a receipt within the refund time listed on the receipt.

The cash return will be accompanied by a "cash refund receipt", rung through the register from which the cash refund is taken. A cash refund receipt MUST accompany any cash that comes out of the register, because otherwise the register would not balance out at the end of the cashier's shift.

So, yes, you can get cash back on a refund. And yes, there would be a record of such a refund.

This Jodi is stupider than she even knows......

I don't know if this has ever yet been definitively answered, but I do have info about a cash refund from Target, Walmart, and Kmart.

Yes, each of the above will give a refund in cash under certain circumstances. One of those circumstances is that the customer has paid cash for the merchandise and they present it for return along with a receipt within the refund time listed on the receipt.

The cash return will be accompanied by a "cash refund receipt", rung through the register from which the cash refund is taken. A cash refund receipt MUST accompany any cash that comes out of the register, because otherwise the register would not balance out at the end of the cashier's shift.

So, yes, you can get cash back on a refund. And yes, there would be a record of such a refund.

This Jodi is stupider than she even knows......

The other day, Jean Casarez on HLN was saying how unusual it is for one to receive cash for a return on a purchase that had been made with a credit/debit card. The thing is, the Wal-Mart receipt clearly shows that Jodi paid cash for the items, including the gas can.

At the very least, if Jodi had returned that gas can, the associate would've circled the returned item on the original receipt and would've signed his/her initials next to the circle.

The other day, Jean Casarez on HLN was saying how unusual it is for one to receive cash for a return on a purchase that had been made with a credit/debit card. The thing is, the Wal-Mart receipt clearly shows that Jodi paid cash for the items, including the gas can.

At the very least, if Jodi had returned that gas can, the associate would've circled the returned item on the original receipt and would've signed his/her initials next to the circle.

There also would be a record that day of the gas/kerosene can going back into inventory.

I don't think for a minute that JA lent TA any money. He probably could have paid the mortgage easily with just the roommates' share of the rent. If anything, the checks were repayment to TA for some of the trips they took.

Which, to me, adds to Jodi's resentment if Mimi was doing to Cancun, because it was likely Mimi wasn't going to have to reimburse Travis like Jodi had to. Seeing as it was a company rewarded trip, catch my drift?

She claims she returned the gas can bought at Walmart, yet usually Walmart will make a note on your original receipt to mark which item was returned. Her receipt doesn't show it.

This seems to be a particularly pointless lie. Does she think having 2 cans makes her not guilty while 3 cans makes her guilty? It's bizarre.

In my state, Walmart circles the returned item. They then write "RTN" next to it, and then they print you another receipt for the negative amount that they account for in their cash register. They then give you cash or put it back on your card. I don't really know a store that does not do this because you can easily get another gas can from the back of the store, bring it up, and return that one, too, if they do not mark the receipt they return to you.

Welcome to WS and terrific first post!

I believe she testified she went to her brother's house to sleep after picking up the rental car.

Yes, 15 gallons is a bit much for a bonfire but 5 isn't (missing gas can she so desperately tried to hide). Do we know if the cans were empty or not when she arrived back in Yreka and put them in her g-parents outbuilding? I don't recall if LE found them there but I do recall Darryl Brewer stating she never returned them to him.

I was under the impression that she drove her own car from Yreka to Redding to initially get the rental car? If this is the case, maybe she put gas in her own car to get back to Yreka from Redding? I don't logically see why she'd do that before returning the rental, but maybe she went to her brother's house first for some reason and just decided to do that. But it makes no sense that the gas-obsessed Jodi wouldn't refill the rental car.

I was under the impression that she drove her own car from Yreka to Redding to initially get the rental car? If this is the case, maybe she put gas in her own car to get back to Yreka from Redding? I don't logically see why she'd do that before returning the rental, but maybe she went to her brother's house first for some reason and just decided to do that. But it makes no sense that the gas-obsessed Jodi wouldn't refill the rental car.

Yes, she drove her own car from Yreka to Redding, after having pumped $15.00 into its tank before leaving Yreka. Gas, at that time, was almost $5.00/gallon (according to Jodi's testimony), so $15.00 bought her 3.5 gallons, perhaps. Since she purchased an exact dollar amount, I'm thinking she pumped only enough gas to get her to Redding.

Her car had a 20-gallon capacity tank. (2006 or 2007 Infiniti Q35 Sport.) Highway mileage is approximately 24 mpg on that car, so the trip from Yreka to Redding on June 2nd essentially burned up the $15.00 gas she had purchased earlier that morning in Yreka at 5:37 AM (or whatever time it was).

When Jodi returned to Redding on Saturday, June 7th, her Infiniti would require gas before the drive to Yreka, and I believe she put the SLC Tesoro gas in the Infiniti. The Infiniti would've accommodated 10 (or 15) gallons, easily.

The $40.00 Valero gas purchase which took place 30 minutes prior to Jodi having returned the rental car on June 7th probably went into the rental car--even though the Budget receipt shows that the vehicle had been returned with an empty tank. Budget might've made a mistake in their reporting. Unfortunately, the entire Budget receipt is not available, so we don't know if Budget charged Jodi to fill up the tank after she returned the vehicle (which would've been the case, had she returned the car with an empty tank).

I used to think a bonfire took place between Salt Lake City and Yreka, using some of the SLC Tesoro gas, but Jodi transported Leslie Udi to the gatherings while in SLC, so I'm thinking any bloody evidence was discarded/destroyed before Jodi arrived in SLC on Thursday, June 5th.

If that were the case, it would mean that any evidence would've been discarded/destroyed between Mesa, AZ and Mesquite, NV on June 5th, or discarded/destroyed between Mesquite, NV and West Jordan, UT on June 5th.

(I've written previously in this forum about Jodi possibly having tossed the gun over the Hoover Dam, while driving over it in the middle of the night at 15 mph.)

I suppose Jodi could've stashed any evidence in the trunk of the Ford Focus before arriving in SLC and then simply hoped that no occasion to open the trunk would've presented itself.

Then again, would Jodi have succumbed to a Hoover Dam checkpoint with a gun and bloody clothes in the car's cabin or trunk? A gun could be concealed easily, but a bloody mess? Now I'm back to wondering if she didn't turn around upon seeing the sign for the Hoover Dam checkpoint to burn the items somewhere in the desert. Or perhaps she could've stuffed the bloody clothes in a suitcase, knowing that checkpoint officials don't have the right to rifle through closed containers?

The drive from Mesa, AZ to Mesquite, NV is 402 miles via US-93, so if she had 15 gallons of gas in the trunk from Pasadena, that would have afforded her approximately 450 miles of driving. With a detour for a bonfire on the night of the murder, that'd be cutting it awfully close...

Yeah, Jodi said....

Means nothing to me. She's a liar that lies about even irrelevant things. So why would I believe she did that?

It's far more likely ... She showered standing over Travis's body. There is zero blood outside that master suite. How did she get out the door? Walk down the stairs, touch washer dryer..?

She was clean when she locked his bedroom door behind herself on her way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She had to do something or there would have been more than "kool aide" stains on the floor of the car. They would have been on her seat, on her wheel, on the pedals. Everywhere, if she'd left the house bloodied. Is it true that there was only what appeared to be mild stains on the floor of the car? If so, that's either because she only put a few bloody items or the floor or she spent a hella of a long time at some place washing the rest of the upholstery and just couldn't get the last stains out. Did the car smell like she'd cleaned it upon return? Did the rental place have to clean it?

Yes, too many possibilities.

Jodi picked up the rental car at 8:04 AM on June 2nd. Did she really go back to her brother's (in Redding) to nap and then got on the road "late morning," as she testified in Defense Direct, or did she get on the road immediately upon picking up the car at 8:04 AM?

Jodi stated in Defense Direct that she was supposed to have met Guy Searcy in San Jose on June 2nd, but felt too tired, so pulled over at "one of those small towns north or south of Sacramento," to sleep in a McDonald's parking lot. She stated, "I think it was Corning."

Corning is 50 miles south of Redding, and 2 hours north of Sacramento.

If she had just gotten up from a nap, as she testified, would she pull over to sleep after having driven just 50 miles?

11.5 hours after renting the car, Jodi next shows up on the grid at a McDonald's in Lodi at 7:32 PM. It takes just 3 hours to drive from Redding to Lodi. Even if she left her brother's house in the "late morning," she would have been in Lodi at 2:00 PM, not 7:32 PM. Either she really did pull over in Corning and slept for an additional 5.5 hours, or she's covering her activities between renting the car at 8:04 AM and being at McDonald's in Lodi at 7:32 PM. (Or she arrived at the McDonald's in Lodi at 2:00 PM and slept in that parking lot until 7:32 PM, when she purchased french fries and bottled water.)

I think the nap at her brother's in Redding might be accurate, but pulling over 50 miles after departing Redding is not accurate. I think she might've dyed her hair during the day on June 2nd, before arriving at the McDonald's in Lodi at 7:32 PM.

One thing is for sure. On the morning of her trip, and was up from midnight till about the time she left at 530am. She was calling Travis or trying to reach him practically that whole time. I looked at the HLN timeline and it was apparent that Jodi hadn't gotten a good night's sleep if she'd slept at all. She got on the road about an hour and a half after talking to Travis. So she had to sleep at some point.

I remember when Det. Flores was talking to JA about the rental car and her road trip and there was some mention by him that new rental cars have gps, at the time that conversation seemed to be about her getting lost and gps would have helped her (or at least that's how she seemed to read his comment), but later I began thinking about something else, back in 2009 my hub was driving a company truck for his work, and the company had internal gps on all their vehicles so they could track them and make sure they were only being driven for work purposes, etc. If the rental had internal gps, not only can JM use that to prove every point of her trip before reaching TA's but also where she went afterwards (and where the weapons may be). Rebuttal is going to be intense.

I've revised my original trip theory based on what I think is a partial truth from Arias ... in her voicemail she left for Travis on 6/4/08, she mentions driving out of her way about 100 miles (the "thank you very much" quote). In looking for routes from Mesa to Boulder City NV, Arias might have taken I-17 N to Flagstaff and then I-40 W to Boulder City and the Hoover Dam (instead of US 93 N through Kingman). When I factor in those miles to my original chart, I now see the rental car mileage as 2820 ... very close to the 2834 recorded on the rental car receipt. The other 14 miles could be accounted for very easily in her time in Utah.

I also believe she told a partial truth about getting gas in Buckeye AZ, just outside of Mesa. IMO, she filled the car up with the gas from the cans from Pasadena and then refilled the cans to get her through Arizona, before finally filling up with receipt in Mesquite NV.

Just a theory ....

Attachments

• Arias Trip.PNG
    Arias Trip.PNG
    60.2 KB · Views: 105
I've revised my original trip theory based on what I think is a partial truth from Arias ... in her voicemail she left for Travis on 6/4/08, she mentions driving out of her way about 100 miles (the "thank you very much" quote). In looking for routes from Mesa to Boulder City NV, Arias might have taken I-17 N to Flagstaff and then I-40 W to Boulder City and the Hoover Dam (instead of US 93 N through Kingman). When I factor in those miles to my original chart, I now see the rental car mileage as 2820 ... very close to the 2834 recorded on the rental car receipt. The other 14 miles could be accounted for very easily in her time in Utah.

I also believe she told a partial truth about getting gas in Buckeye AZ, just outside of Mesa. IMO, she filled the car up with the gas from the cans from Pasadena and then refilled the cans to get her through Arizona, before finally filling up with receipt in Mesquite NV.

Just a theory ....

Very nice chart, thanks for posting it.

ETA: I asked on the premeditation thread but perhaps it's better over here, did she deposit enough money to cover the check she worte to TA back on 5-25? One account was overdrawn when depositing, right? Was the balance in the account she wrote the check on enough to cover that check had he lived to do so?

About these deposits. I wonder if she sold her friend that VCR or DVD player stolen from her grandparents' house. You know, the friend with the remote control story?

What was up with that? I'm unclear.

About these deposits. I wonder if she sold her friend that VCR or DVD player stolen from her grandparents' house. You know, the friend with the remote control story?

I had assumed that "remote control" referred to a piece of audio/video equipment, but has that actually been stated? Is it possible that "remote control" refers to a remote control for an automatic garage door?

If the two gas cans were stored in Darryl Brewer's garage (if his residence in June 2008 featured a garage), perhaps Jodi opened the garage door via remote control to access the gas cans. After having opened the garage door, she might've thrown the remote control on the passenger seat of her rental car before she loaded the 2 gas cans into the trunk of the rental car, then forgot to return the remote control to Darryl (or forgot to place it back in his vehicle) before leaving Darryl's house at 7:30 AM.

Bottom line: Do we know for sure that "remote control" refers to a TV or DVD player?

I hadn't thought of that. But she deposited something like $800 cash, didn't she? Would a VCR and/or a DVD player be worth that much? My thought (which I posted elsewhere) was that perhaps she was either trimming pot or transporting it.One of Siskiyou County's leading cash crops is pot-you can make $10-15 per hour (under the table) trimming. I don't know what the pay scale is for transport. Not bad pay for a county w/a 15+% unemployment rate-and much better pay than slinging hash or bartending.

Can anyone tell (or recognize) what's inside this CVS bag? I'm not sure where it was found, the pic was among a couple taken in his garage and it looks to be inside a trash can (I cropped and enlarged the pic to show just the bag).

cvsbag1_zpsd6592828.jpg

Picture located here:

http://s1352.photobucket.com/user/f.../?page=1&_suid=136569251750009330779809062993
Weird... but if you enlarge it... The image in the middle looks like the Virgin Mary. (I know, it has also supposedly been seen on chocolate chip cookies, a fried egg, a frito, etc. and now in a CVS bag...lol) But seriously, have a look.. long gown, belted at the waist, head scarf, face with eyes, head tilted like she is looking down, arms at her sides.. Could this be a religious pamphlet of some sort discarded in the bag? Did she clean trash from her car or backpack and stuff it in the bag for discard? I can see her having LDS related literature/pamphlets. It looks like the paper is folded over on the right side, covering the rest of the picture. There is printing on both sides of that paper.

Weird... but if you enlarge it... The image in the middle looks like the Virgin Mary. (I know, it has also supposedly been seen on chocolate chip cookies, a fried egg, a frito, etc. and now in a CVS bag...lol) But seriously, have a look.. long gown, belted at the waist, head scarf, face with eyes, head tilted like she is looking down, arms at her sides.. Could this be a religious pamphlet of some sort discarded in the bag? Did she clean trash from her car or backpack and stuff it in the bag for discard? I can see her having LDS related literature/pamphlets. It looks like the paper is folded over on the right side, covering the rest of the picture. There is printing on both sides of that paper.

That could be, I thought it looked like a guy in a tiled tunnel lol, I couldn't tell if any of the print on the papers is even in English - they do resemble the way passages are written though. thanks for spying that, Pip. I'll enlarge it even more and see if I can make out any of the print.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back