NC vs. Raven Abaroa ~ the Trial 2

That was my take but I am not 100 percent on any of it. The manner in which this very important testimony is being handled has been terribly confusing.
Well - I did get the blood in Raven's car as belonging to Janet. I think that's HUGE.

Does anyone know what items 27-1 and 2 are? Both Raven's DNA.
I was here late. Did they list the item and the correlating # before I got here? Otherwise how are we (or the jurors) supposed to know what the item was????

Possibility of why it's Janet's hair in her hand:

When she was stabbed, her hand was near her neck and chest. Did she have long hair that would have fallen over her shoulders? Could the gut wrenching pain have made her clench her hand to pull some of her own hair out?

Darn - I was really hoping it was Ravens.

Other ideas?

As I recall, her hair was pretty long - definitely shoulder length or longer. Maybe she grabbed it inadvertently as she was defending herself, or as she fell to the ground?

From NC's article link :

"Durham police detective Bennie Bradlee testified Wednesday that Raven Abaroa told him that he found Janet Abaroa on her stomach with her knees tucked under her and her head on the floor turned toward the doorway of their home office."

Janet's position does not compute. Try laying on your stomach with your knees tucked under you. Which part of your body is actually touching the floor?

Yet, blood evidence tells us she was on her back for a long period of time, and her shirt was saturated. Their was much blood on her - if she were in the position Raven stated, it would have mostly drained on the floor. Her shirt would not have been saturated IMO.

Same article:

They also ignored other evidence, the defense says, including DNA found in a blood stain on a side door leading into the house, an unknown fingerprint in an office closet, a bloody shoeprint near Janet Abaroa's body and a coin found near a creek near the house that was never tested.

Do they SERIOUSLY want a DIME tested???? W O W

Same article:

They also ignored other evidence, the defense says, including DNA found in a blood stain on a side door leading into the house, an unknown fingerprint in an office closet, a bloody shoeprint near Janet Abaroa's body and a coin found near a creek near the house that was never tested.

I do want the State to tell me about that evidence claimed to have gone untested. They had EIGHT years to prepare this case. It took them FIVE years to arrest Raven. And so far, I am less than impressed with their case.

Do we have any idea who the state's "star" witness is? Geez - I hope they're good, and I hope the state starts bring some of these loose ends together.

The rest of the DNA samples had to do with blood - most all of it Janet's blood. I want to know what items 27-1 and 2 are. They were both positive DNA for Raven.

On a brighter note, how will the defense account for Janet's blood in Raven's auto?

I've sort of only been half watching this one. (As opposed to the other trials in the area of the last few years). I've been fascinated by some of the other horrible ones unfolding as well.

Anyone got a feel as to what took so long for the arrest? I know a lot of the folks in Durham's DA office were wrapped up, but I can't see what might have been uncovered down the road, etc. I mean, they exhumed her really late, also, right?

From what I understand, they exhumed her in 2010 (5 years after her murder) to look for contacts or something. As for how long it took for them to do the trial, I have no idea. There was the whole issue with the DA in Durham and everything, but I have no idea other than that.

Here's a bit of the story, and it goes back several years. --

The DA's were traveling a rocky path & both left the job in succession...

Tracey Cline was relieved of her DA (chief DA) job.
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8521891

Prior to that, there was Mike Nifong of Duke Univ. lacrosse team fame:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2404866

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,283282,00.html

And here is the news of the accuser of the Duke lacrosse team -- she is accused of murder in a later incident. If you're curious:
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/20/2694429/accused-murderer-mangum-released.html
-----------------------

The current ADA, Coggins-Franks was just handed the Abaroa case at the end of December, 2012, since the ADA who had it was leaving at the end of December.
http://www.heraldsun.com/news/x2026005787/Trial-in-pregnant-woman-s-slaying-delayed-again

This is just an article that precedes the ADA change:
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8688457

--------------------------

It's been One Big Fat Mess over there, but things seem to be much smoother now.

Do we have any idea who the state's "star" witness is? Geez - I hope they're good, and I hope the state starts bring some of these loose ends together.

The rest of the DNA samples had to do with blood - most all of it Janet's blood. I want to know what items 27-1 and 2 are. They were both positive DNA for Raven.

On a brighter note, how will the defense account for Janet's blood in Raven's auto?

For the first time in forever I was able to watch the afternoon proceedings, either the feed is down or I have to do something else, I've missed so much but from commenatry on this thread, I'm not alone. lol

Anyhow, I think 27.1 and 27.2 were the cuttings from a bandana, those were the only two things I recall that tested positive for Raven (aside from the low secondary profile things).

I am surprised that there isn't more direct evidence of his involvement, at least not yet, the blood in the vehicle is something, did he ever say anything about having to go out to it after finding her to try to explain that away?

If anyone else is watching, please feel free to correct any testimony I have written. My fingers are a little stiff this AM, and I may have missed something, or mistyped.

I like this testimony. It is factually based, and he explains the pix and basics of blood spatter well.

So.....Janet was stabbed in the front - fell forward - died that way - remained that way for a period of time - THEN was rolled to her back.
Could Raven have left her lying on her stomach after he killed her before soccer , only turning her over when he got home? Wasn't his testimony that she was ...?? kneeling, or crouched?, but for some reason I got the impression she wasn't lying on her stomach.
Does anyone recall the position of Janet's body Raven says he found?

IIRC, he said her knees were under her and her head was on the carpet -- kind of like a fetal position, but her back faced the ceiling, and her chest faced the floor -- that position does make sense to me due to the the large pool of blood on the carpet -- I did see the picture of part of her body beside the pool of blood -- big, almost round pool, about 15 -- 18 or so inches wide -- and she was on her back by then. It was shown with some others one day last week.

I would think he would have had to have left her that way due to the pool of blood being so big. I wonder if she was still alive when he left since there was so much blood in one place. Unless she bleed very fast and a lot at one time.

In good (not cold) conditions, rigor mortis can begin in 2 hours. Just a thought....

Please excuse the graphic wording above. This wasn't a delicate scene.
icon8.gif

yeah right!! I hope PT can make their claim look far-fetched. We all know it was made by Raven coming back in the house.

I'm still struggling with when he killed her. I'm beginning to feel he caught her looking at financial items in the desk and that's where he killed her. Her saying "I can't do this again" makes me think she was going to leave him......and he stopped her, stopped her dead in her tracks.

God bless Janet

bbm

Hmmmm, I have the impression that those traces were made when he was leaving. Maybe the Prosecution will tell us a story of how it all happened -- I hope so. I think it's necessary to lay out what happened -- the jurors need it. And so do we.

And agreed, Tarheel, I don't think it took much to set him off. Maybe she just looked at him "the wrong way." Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

God bless Janet.

BBM
I didn't hear anything about a fingerprint on the front screen porch door. Maybe I missed something. I believe the unknown fingerprint was located on a closet door which was stated to be plastic...it was a fingerprint impression in the paint.

I think the key is what was not found at the scene of the crime. There was no obvious break-in. There was no hair, dna, fibers etc. from an outside source. There was no evidence of a struggle. There was no evidence of any sort from someone outside the home. The dogs were locked in crates in a shed, Janet was suppose to be in bed. Janet would have fought tooth and nail if there was an intruder.

Her wedding rings were out in plain sight. The only things missing were his lap top and knife collection.

Nobody would want to harm Janet. If it was an intruder, a thief, things would have been stolen. If it was a rape, she would have been raped.

The only person who the means, the opportunity, the motive to kill Janet was Raven.

He was wanted for embezzlement. Had to pay that attorney and was going to have to go to court. He had less than a week left on his job, he didn't get the job in DC. He loved his VX more than he loved his wife. Possessions were too important to Raven. Janet was basically a possession to him. Janet couldn't do this again, I think she was done with him, didn't want to have to deal with being pregnant, his mood swings.

Was she hot, was she cold, her lips were blue, she spoke to him. What the heck.

I love how DT always say things like, he may be a cad, he may have been hot headed, he may have cheated, he may have lied, but that doesn't make him a murderer. I agree, but he is the ONLY person with anything to gain, he was the only person who the means, the motive and the opportunity.

There is no smoking gun in this case. It's common sense people. Circumstance Evidence IS Evidence. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. He did it.

Whether or not he is found guilty by members of the jury, nobody else killed Janet but Raven in my opinion and it won't be the last we hear about him.

The same exact words were echoed all over the internet and TV during the Scott Peterson case. Just because he's a lying manwh0re doesn't make him a murderer. I wonder how Scottie Not-so-hottie is doing these days.... oh yeah, I DON'T CARE! :)

If anyone else is watching, please feel free to correct any testimony I have written. My fingers are a little stiff this AM, and I may have missed something, or mistyped.

I like this testimony. It is factually based, and he explains the pix and basics of blood spatter well.

So.....Janet was stabbed in the front - fell forward - died that way - remained that way for a period of time - THEN was rolled to her back.
Could Raven have left her lying on her stomach after he killed her before soccer , only turning her over when he got home? Wasn't his testimony that she was ...?? kneeling, or crouched?, but for some reason I got the impression she wasn't lying on her stomach.
Does anyone recall the position of Janet's body Raven says he found?
He said he found her on her knees, bent over forward. That would explain the blood all over her face, imo. Then he said he grabbed her and turned her. Then said she had blue lips and she was gone.... then later he said she spoke to him.... then he said gun shot wound.... then he said suicide.... Raven said a lot of things, but I'm almost positive that he said he found her on her knees, the way she would sit when she had bad cramps. His story has changed so many times I really don't remember all the incarnations, but originally he said she was on her knees leaning over forward.

HTH!!

Sorry, no time to follow the trial.
Has there been any evidence presented about an unidentified 'bloody footprint', floated by the defense in the opening?

Not sure why Durham CSI did not check core body temp when they first arrived after the 911 call? Time of death would have been easy to determine within a fairly tight range.

i have to say the soothing southern accents are making me sleepy. I had the same problem with Jason Young's trial.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, Sugah!

Nota bene: Just cuz we talk slow don' mean we're stooopid. Big mistake!

Please know, fragile, that the comment was NOT pointed towards you or anyone else I have encountered on WS, ever
. But I have seen it, and it pizzes me off. Stupid people abound, but they're not all south of that Mason-Dixon line!

For the first time in forever I was able to watch the afternoon proceedings, either the feed is down or I have to do something else, I've missed so much but from commenatry on this thread, I'm not alone. lol

Anyhow, I think 27.1 and 27.2 were the cuttings from a bandana, those were the only two things I recall that tested positive for Raven (aside from the low secondary profile things).

I am surprised that there isn't more direct evidence of his involvement, at least not yet, the blood in the vehicle is something, did he ever say anything about having to go out to it after finding her to try to explain that away?

I could be crazy, but didn't he say he went back out to the car looking for a phone? I'm not sure... hope not.

Sorry, no time to follow the trial.
Has there been any evidence presented about an unidentified 'bloody footprint', floated by the defense in the opening?

Not sure why Durham CSI did not check core body temp when they first arrived after the 911 call? Time of death would have been easy to determine within a fairly tight range.

Haven't heard it yet, Fax, but that's been bugging me, too. The ambient conditions would make it fairly accurate seems to me.

Would anybody there have been competent or authorized to do one? Or have a thermometer to do it? EMS maybe? (Serious questions.)

Is it something that LE would/could do routinely? I can't remember such testimony in any other case I've followed...

Same article:

No, I think they want the dime to testify. (snark) I still don't get the relevance of the coins near the driveway. I know that one of the police dogs hit on the change, but I haven't be able to place the importance of the coins in the case.

Oh and another thing.... I'm still hung up on the Abaroa's dogs. So the dog crates where kept in the HOUSE up under the bar area in the kitchen. So where did I get that the dogs crates were in the shed? I'm so confused about the dang dogs.

Arg!

FYI, on a side note. I did some major geeky ninja moves on my computer. Defragged, cleaned registry, tweaked, optimized, changed settings I didn't even understand and got my computer to play the streams and the video's perfectly. Have had no problems since last night. That doesn't mean, however, that the audio quality is any better but I can live with that. I got so excited when it started working I sprang out of my chair and didn't realize my foot was asleep and I twisted it. Spent the whole testimony this morning at the doctor getting x-rayed and found out it's not broken. When I heard the *snap *crackle *pop I was just sure it was. Now I'm sitting at my desk with my foot elevated and covered in ice with instructions to stay the he// off of it all weekend. Only allowed to walk with crutches. I'm not coordinated enough to walk with crutches.... I'm kind of a clutz. I'm the only person I know who can hurt themselves bad enough to need x-rays while doing NOTHING AT ALL.

Getting ready to watch the blood spatter guy. I'm glad you all are here explaining stuff, it really helps.

Someone asked about a 'star' witness. My opinion is that Vanessa will be that witness. They had better be planning to put her on the stand. I am very interested in hearing about her time with Raven.

Re: Raven testifying. That would be awesome. The man can't open his mouth without lying and he loves the sound of his own voice. He appears to think that the longer he talks the more people believe his BS. (My opinion only) I keep thinking about Jodi A. "no court in the world would convict me" Ok, Jodi, whatever you say dear. (I didn't follow JA's case, but I have been peeking at the video's of her trial while I couldn't watch this trial. She's a real piece of work. I'll probably end up watching her testimony while I'm in bed with my foot up over my head this weekend.) I hope Raven takes the stand and they just let him ramble to his heart's desire.... all the way to LWOP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ
Back