Penalty Phase #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted in the Sidebar thread...

My cousin and his family are OK!! Thank you God! Please continue to pray...he says it's total destruction. We were lucky.

Thank you everyone. Time for him to move back to Cali! :heartbeat:

ETA: Please, please donate to the RED CROSS!

Hence, anyone with an ounce of decency should regard this young lady as another friend to the truth and the victims still hurting from the events related to this case. Be nice. :please:

Don't collect and scatter the seeds of gossip and meanness about these witnesses. We don't know their pains and struggles they must endure each day. These hurts may be unimaginable and if we knew them, we would feel terrible for them and wish them well and better from the bottoms of our hearts. :truce:

How would we like it if our own lives were dissected under some borgish internet microscope and our very private, personal details were posted far and wide\ for any and every one out there to look at? We wouldn't. :scared:

Let's show a little empathy shall we? Please don't be mean. :please:

Being mean on line puts an ugly mask over a once attractive face.
Please be nice to witnesses and strangers alike. :please: Especially the ones now in question.:please:
:moo::blushing:

I hear what you're saying. But I would be more inclined to give them the benefit of my empathy if they weren't so willing to plaster their faces all over Nancy Grace and the other tabloid shows. Just saying, and MOO.

What I don't get is...she has already been convicted..so he was looking for a mistrial on just THIS part?

I don't know if this has been posted yet.

Character witness for Jodi Arias pulls out, citing threats and inner turmoil

The potential witness, Patricia Womack, is a childhood friend of Arias who planned to testify about Arias’ abusive childhood. Besides the threats, she said that her heart went out to the family of Travis Alexander, whom Arias was convicted of killing.

“I couldn’t do it,” she told NBC News in an email. “I feel there is so much good in Jodi to be saved but then also someone’s dear life was taken.”

She seriously said this???? Are you freaking kidding me??? After that baloney with Nurmi today????

Hi, I might have missed this earlier, but is this what's happening?

No more court today after this brief argument. Arias will make a statement tomorrow at 12:30 pm ET/9:30 am in Phoenix. Then closings and jury will deliberate. - Beth Karas

TIA :)

I signed on to WS to get news on the trial (good morning everyone!), and all I see are posts about the tornado. I know it's a terrible, scary tragedy. I know...but this is a thread about the trial. Please keep everything on topic.

:silenced:

The jury was shown the sister's picture a number of times. She is sitting right there with the family plus there is a strong resemblance to Jodi. The jury certainly knows who the family is. My point was they would not know about the shirt and would be left to come to their own conclusions. I'm just saying that for defense to avoid any misunderstandings as to why Jodi's sister would be wearing a "Survivor" shirt she should be told (the same as they would do for anyone that wears a statement shirt in court) not to wear it into the courtroom. And if she shows up with it tomorrow the jury might surely question it as odd. But this then this whole trial has seemed odd.

If I had been isolated from trial info, I would have assumed the T-shirt referred to the TV show Survivor.

Hi, I might have missed this earlier, but is this what's happening?

No more court today after this brief argument. Arias will make a statement tomorrow at 12:30 pm ET/9:30 am in Phoenix. Then closings and jury will deliberate. - Beth Karas

TIA :)
Yes the CM makes an allocution. It doesn't look like they are normally cross-examined, according to Google but just about to ask in the Legal thread

As an addict in recovery, I cannot judge this woman because of her addiction. I hope she gets help.. And finds better friends.

I can. I was raised by drug addicted parents, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. At least my parents (mother and step dad) paid for their destruction themselves and didn't get others to pay for it- screwed up my family none the less. I hope she gets help too. I come to it from a different perspective perhaps?

Yes the CM makes an allocution. It doesn't look like they are normally cross-examined, according to Google but just about to ask in the Legal thread

Interesting .. so this stage boiled down to victim impact statements, then a statement by the convicted .. I think we all know how that will go. It's actually kind of fitting really.

I hear what you're saying. But I would be more inclined to give them the benefit of my empathy if they weren't so willing to plaster their faces all over Nancy Grace and the other tabloid shows. Just saying, and MOO.

So they are fair game if they do things we don't like? Can't say I agree to that.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Are there guidelines for the Allocution? Does she only get to talk about herself, her life, her redeeming qualities, and why they should let her live? I don't think she gets to trash Travis or rehash her defense. Right?

Hence, anyone with an ounce of decency should regard this young lady as another friend to the truth and the victims still hurting from the events related to this case. Be nice. :please:

Don't collect and scatter the seeds of gossip and meanness about these witnesses. We don't know their pains and struggles they must endure each day. These hurts may be unimaginable and if we knew them, we would feel terrible for them and wish them well and better from the bottoms of our hearts. :truce:

How would we like it if our own lives were dissected under some borgish internet microscope and our very private, personal details were posted far and wide\ for any and every one out there to look at? We wouldn't. :scared:

Let's show a little empathy shall we? Please don't be mean. :please:

Being mean on line puts an ugly mask over a once attractive face.
Please be nice to witnesses and strangers alike. :please: Especially the ones now in question.:please:
:moo::blushing:

Having class and decency towards others, even if it seems they have none themselves, goes a long way. You don't have to like anyone or their actions (not that anyone here knows any of these ppl personally) but showing decency never goes out of style.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Are there guidelines for the Allocution? Does she only get to talk about herself, her life, her redeeming qualities, and why they should let her live? I don't think she gets to trash Travis or rehash her defense. Right?
I would hope they have to submit her statement for approval by JM and JSS, like the victim statements.

It sounds like Patti W is torn. I can understand that. I see it as she was friends with JA, and she was going to testify for JA in mitigating phase. But as she learned the truth about her friend, she cannot bring herself to beg for JA's life. I really do believe she is torn and cannot defend JA at this point. I think she gets it. Drugs/ no drugs, doesn't really matter, imo.

This is a show. The DT couldn't find anyone willing to testify for JA. This is a cover up of that fact. Better to claim that the court/prosecutor/public/media is not allowing her supporters to testify than to admit that she has NO supporter willing to chance taking the stand for her. :twocents:

I'm sure these people would be willing to testify truthfully if it were not from the defendant, again, trying to manipulate witnesses.

I'll have to read the legal questions and answers thread to be sure I understand allocution. When she doesn't look totally blank, JA looks like she thinks she's winning.
I haven't watched enough trials to know any better, but this seems so weird to me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 3.07.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 3.07.37 PM.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 109
I can imagine that the defense lawyers and their potential character witnesses realized that it was a losing battle: Jodi didn't seem to have many long-term friends who could offer very meaningful accolades. Even if one or two of them would agree to testify, the absence of other, more impressive witnesses could actually strike the jury more than their testimony. At this stage, the defense might well believe that hoping for the very, very long-shot possibility of a mistrial or appeal possibility made more sense than calling anybody.

(At this point, what could any one friend say to weaken the onslaught that has come before?)

All of these court disputes will probably make Jodi more anxious about her own performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
somegirlinsf