GA - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 #2 *Arrests*

No names are mentioned in the podcast, not even the person who committed suicide (although the conversation gives enough info to id him), I'm just trying to piece things together. But if Dr Godwin say's his name is not on the list, then maybe its just a dead end. Although, I suppose, Dukes may be associated with those on the list, which might still mean something ??

Wow , great news!

Be interesting to see if anyone else involved?

Did he use tara's car at all?

No names are mentioned in the podcast, not even the person who committed suicide (although the conversation gives enough info to id him), I'm just trying to piece things together. But if Dr Godwin say's his name is not on the list, then maybe its just a dead end. Although, I suppose, Dukes may be associated with those on the list, which might still mean something ??
I looked and looked for his name but never could figure out who it was. Is it against the rules to post his name here?

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

Agree. Could still be associations there.

On another subject, some people have asked Dr. Godwin if Duke had a black truck and I haven't seen yet that he's responded.

I hope the announcements come some ☺

I looked and looked for his name but never could figure out who it was. Is it against the rules to post his name here?

Hi puzzleme. I think I used the fact that Dr. Godwin said the suicide happened in 2009, that he was an Irwin County High grad, he was from Fitzgerald, and that the only thing online was and obituary (no suicide story). The last name starts with an 'S' and he is a 'Jr.'. I don't want to get into any trouble, but that should work. He would have been the same age as Ryan Duke.

For some reason I don't believe Duke was the only person there when she was killed. Wasn't there a break in previously at her home before Ryan broke in to burglarize the home and murdered her? I am not as versed in this case as many others, but IDK. The no sign of struggle at her home makes me think more than 1 person was able to subdue her. Interested in this suicide angle ad if that person gave up info.

BTW can't wait for new update.

It looks like he may not have confessed at all nor showed them where the remains are.

From your link:

"Investigators confirmed they have not found her remains."

So this may be the story he told whomever came in and finally ratted him out.

The only thing they found missing was her purse and keys. A perfect ruse to make others think she had ridden off with someone else. Nancy Grace said the house was pristine with everything in its place. If he went there to do a real burglary there would be closet doors open and drawers pulled out. Nancy also said they found clay on her car tires and she always kept her vehicle neat and clean. So he may have used her own vehicle to transport her thinking people would think it was Tara driving away from her home and then brought it back.

LEs theory of the case may change as more investigation is done. Its really like a new investigation now that they know who the suspect finally is but had no clue for years that he was any way connected to her murder. Unless this guy was a drug addict back then and there is no evidence of that I don't think he would pick a school teacher's home to break in knowing they make very little money especially in a small town like Ocilla. And if he was really there to do a burglary and only took her purse and keys then he knew beforehand she would be home in order to obtain those two items. He takes her keys but not her vehicle? He didnt come there to do a burglary, imo.

Even if he is saying this was the reason he knows even if they locate her remains now they cannot prove he went there to sexually assault her since there would be no evidence of that this many years later.

Do we know for sure if the dogs were never brought inside of her home? The reason I asked is even if the person was killed in their home if they were taken out quickly the cadaver dog wouldnt pick up a scent of decomp. Iirc it takes about 45-70 minutes for decomp to set in once a person is deceased. Imo, by then she was gone from her home.

In the Scott Peterson case the police and DA believed Laci was strangled on her bed and then soon after bundled up in a tarp and hauled to the SFB in his boat where he disposed of her and Conner Yet the cadaver dogs did not alert inside of her home.

IMO

Someone targeted that house for a second time b/c they were obsessed with something in the house or someone in the house. Since nothing in the house was taken, then the person in the home was the object to be taken. I don't think Tara would go without putting up a fight.

Perhaps he was already in the home and snuck behind her when she entered that night. Probably strangled her to attempt to subdue and quiet her after she would not be lead out so easily. I'm not sure he intended to murder her at the home. Probably a botched abduction. I tend to think he was obsessed with her and wanted to abduct her to another location where he would then rape/kill her.

I agree Oeanblueeyes - her car not being stolen or any other items for that matter indicated burglary was likely not the motive. She was a schoolteacher and did not have tons of money, but at the same time in a little town some might consider her at least middle income and worth trying to steal jewelry from. Hm.

I had a friend in a small town in MS who was vandalized by the same no good "potter boys" time and time again (nickname we will give them). She didn't have tons of nice stuff, but for the demographic of her town and the nieghbors in her immediate area her house was better than most. People figured there had to be quick money in the home somewhere. So it is possible she could have been targeted for robbery.

ugh my head is spinning. sorry. lol

It looks like he may not have confessed at all nor showed them where the remains are.

From your link:

"Investigators confirmed they have not found her remains."

So this may be the story he told whomever came in and finally ratted him out.

The only thing they found missing was her purse and keys. A perfect ruse to make others think she had ridden off with someone else. Nancy Grace said the house was pristine with everything in its place. If he went there to do a real burglary there would be closet doors open and drawers pulled out. Nancy also said they found clay on her car tires and she always kept her vehicle neat and clean. So he may have used her own vehicle to transport her thinking people would think it was Tara driving away from her home and then brought it back.

LEs theory of the case may change as more investigation is done. Its really like a new investigation now that they know who the suspect finally is but had no clue for years that he was any way connected to her murder. Unless this guy was a drug addict back then and there is no evidence of that I don't think he would pick a school teacher's home to break in knowing they make very little money especially in a small town like Ocilla. And if he was really there to do a burglary and only took her purse and keys then he knew beforehand she would be home in order to obtain those two items. He takes her keys but not her vehicle? He didnt come there to do a burglary, imo.

Even if he is saying this was the reason he knows even if they locate her remains now they cannot prove he went there to sexually assault her since there would be no evidence of that this many years later.

Do we know for sure if the dogs were never brought inside of her home? The reason I asked is even if the person was killed in their home if they were taken out quickly the cadaver dog wouldnt pick up a scent of decomp. Iirc it takes about 45-70 minutes for decomp to set in once a person is deceased. Imo, by then she was gone from her home.

In the Scott Peterson case the police and DA believed Laci was strangled on her bed and then soon after bundled up in a tarp and hauled to the SFB in his boat where he disposed of her and Conner Yet the cadaver dogs did not alert inside of her home.

IMO

RUMOR MILL is running wild in town and I'm not sure what is true/half true or totally false. Having said that-

"what if" his girlfriend was the one he told (after all these years) and she told someone else (his mom) who convinced him to turn himself in? In that case, there would be no reward money?
I personally have a hard time believing that a 21 year old with no prior record (at the time) committed the "perfect crime" leaving zero evidence and didn't get caught or interviewed or even showed up "on the radar" until he told someone or turned himself in almost 12 years later? What the what you say????

I hope more details come out soon!

JMO. IMO. MOO

I double checked and I think the post by Payne about being on GMA was posted 18 hours ago which probably meant he would be on GMA today, this morning, (Friday)??? Yes or no??

Yes! I know, Payne's grandmother's friend, Melba, had it right. She said that right after the pageant Tara said she was going to visit a former student in Fitzgerald, before going to the BBQ. Ryan Duke lived in Fitzgerald at that time.

Also in Fitzgerald, as a result of an anonymous tip, a pond was drained in February 2015. J.T. Ricketson, special agent in charge of the Georgia Bureau, stated the [FONT=&amp]pond, located on the north side of Fitzgerald, off of Satilla Street, was drained. They [/FONT]did not find a body, but RIcketson said they found “some items that substantiated original information that came in.” (source: Fitzgerald Gazette)

Curious if the same person who called in the tip about the pond in Fitzgerald, also was the tipster regarding Ryan Duke. It's possible one or both of the tips came in from Ryan Duke himself. He doesn't seem to have a criminal record except a DUI, perhaps the guilt was too much. And/or the Up and Vanished podcast about the case was a constant reminder as to what he had done.

Under the law Duke is innocent until proven guilty, but it seems fairly certain he confessed. I'm guessing the motivation was driven more by stalking than by robbery. A stalker with illusions Tara wanted to be with him, then rebutted, fits the crime scene more than a robbery as a prime motive. A guess, very possible. We'll likely be receiving more information soon.

Tara seems to have been a private person, but it seems she must have mentioned Duke to someone. Given the GBI left a box of letters under her bed after releasing the crime scene, it's not hard to imagine they missed a potential critical clue. Stalking is almost always minimized as a crime by law enforcement. However, over 90% of femicides involved women who were stalked prior to being killed. (source: National Crime database)

In addition to being thankful this was solved, I'm glad her ex-boyfriend Marcus, and other, no longer need to live under an umbrella of suspicion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whocoulditbenow
Back