ID ID - Terrence Woods, 27, missing, Penman Mine near Orogrande, 5 Oct 2018

I don't smell a rat but I do worry about where he is and how he is surviving.

The story is so odd, he phones home to tell his parents he wants to leave the shoot early, only to run off into the wilds of Idaho? Just makes zero sense. If he wanted to go home, just go home.

Why did he want to leave? Did he witness something? Was someone making him uncomfortable?

Running off ill-equipped into the wilds of a forest you are absolutely unfamiliar with would not be the first choice of someone who is thinking rationally.

Either he wanted to disappear (self harm, which makes little sense in seeing he wanted to go home)

or

The thought of surviving in the wilds of Idaho with zero supplies or familiarity with the terrain was MORE appealing then staying behind with the rest of the crew.

There is also the possibility he had a mental breakdown. But I haven't seen anything that points to previous history.

wait. he did not CALL home to say he was coming home early - he TEXTED.

This makes a difference. As we all know, anyone can send a text. But why would anyone (going with the "rat" theory, and I am open to all theories) text THAT message?

"At 8:34 my son texted me back, 'Dad I'm coming home on Wednesday the 10th.' Between that little time, something went wrong. Then the next call I get is from the company saying my son disappeared. Can't find a trace of him." From here: Maryland father makes plea after son goes missing in Idaho

ETA: I have been holding back on saying this but I am going to just say it. What if he DID text that message, thinking he would be coming home... but perhaps not in the traditional sense. Ugh, does that make sense? "Homegoing" is something very different than arriving home early from a trip. This plays into the mental illness/self harm theory, and we'd be remiss not to consider everything.

I hope his family gets the answers they need.

Last edited:
The story is so odd, he phones home to tell his parents he wants to leave the shoot early, only to run off into the wilds of Idaho? Just makes zero sense. If he wanted to go home, just go home.

Why did he want to leave? Did he witness something? Was someone making him uncomfortable?

Running off ill-equipped into the wilds of a forest you are absolutely unfamiliar with would not be the first choice of someone who is thinking rationally.

Either he wanted to disappear (self harm, which makes little sense in seeing he wanted to go home)

or

The thought of surviving in the wilds of Idaho with zero supplies or familiarity with the terrain was MORE appealing then staying behind with the rest of the crew.

There is also the possibility he had a mental breakdown. But I haven't seen anything that points to previous history.

I'm definitely leaning toward the mental breakdown theory. His co-workers said he was acting strange.

I'm definitely leaning toward the mental breakdown theory. His co-workers said he was acting strange.
Agreed - first of which, the lady which disappeared was elderly and when someone last spoke to her before she went missing in an extremely remote area they couldn't understand her words. I'm thinking she had a mini-stroke or other medical event and wandered off. Tragic but likely not connected, other than being in the same State. As for the conspiracy. . you are doing a remote shoot with minimal access to the public. If something was done to this young man or there was an accident they wanted to cover up, why not just get rid of the body in the woods, finish business and leave. No one would know he hadn't left with the others if there is a group cover up. I think it was a mental break of some sort and being so unexpected people processed what they witnessed differently. I know from experience that you can have 10 people witness a crime or a tragic event unfolding and you may get a half dozen different versions of it - it's more a response to stress and how the brain works than lying. While human vision is good, there are plenty of conditions—low lighting, distance, and sudden actions—that make it difficult to accurately perceive what's going on. Faced with partial information, research indicates that our brain's response isn't to commit what information we do have to memory. Instead, our brains attempt to create a coherent picture that makes sense. This often involves filling in details using past experience as a guide. The resulting memory may be satisfyingly complete, but it can come at the cost of incorrect information.

Hello, I was a former classmate of Terrence's and I just wanted to let you all know I found your thread about a week ago. I actually didn't even find out about his disappearance until a few weeks after it happened. He is such an amazing person, honestly one of the kindest people I've ever met- super easy to get along with and welcoming. Thanksgiving is coming up and it's one of my fondest memories of Terrence- we all got together while studying abroad to make Thanksgiving happen and he was so stoked to share that experience with people of other cultures and backgrounds...so, it was awful to find out this happened. I do hope his parents and family find answers and that the PI is able to find something. We (former classmates) are all just hoping he decided to take off and maybe live off grid for a bit...maybe hopeful or wishful thinking, but we remain hopeful. I continue to check in on this thread in case any of you have information. Thank you for continuing to post about it!

Hello, I was a former classmate of Terrence's and I just wanted to let you all know I found your thread about a week ago. I actually didn't even find out about his disappearance until a few weeks after it happened. He is such an amazing person, honestly one of the kindest people I've ever met- super easy to get along with and welcoming. Thanksgiving is coming up and it's one of my fondest memories of Terrence- we all got together while studying abroad to make Thanksgiving happen and he was so stoked to share that experience with people of other cultures and backgrounds...so, it was awful to find out this happened. I do hope his parents and family find answers and that the PI is able to find something. We (former classmates) are all just hoping he decided to take off and maybe live off grid for a bit...maybe hopeful or wishful thinking, but we remain hopeful. I continue to check in on this thread in case any of you have information. Thank you for continuing to post about it!
We are all hoping for the same. I hope he is found safely.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back