MI MI - Margie Ranshaw, 29, Barryton, 17 May 1987

This is an odd case. Apart from the usual listings on missing person sites there is nothing out there. Whilst this is hardly unique, it is surprising when there appears to be a large family still alive, including siblings, nephews and nieces, and possibly even parents. One mystery appears from entries on Ancestry. Margie appears in two family trees on Ancestry; one belonging to Ashley Copelin, who is listed as a niece on the obituary of Mark Ranshaw (Margie's brother) in 2007, and the other tree is from Christie Ranshaw, whose relationship to Margie is unclear. Both of these trees show that Margie was married at some point (or had a partner) and that there was a child. More confusingly, the Christie Ranshaw tree names the child as Ashley Copelin, who has the (married) name of Margie's sister and is shown as the sisters daughter in Mark Ranshaw's obituary. So there appear to be three possibilities;

1. The trees are wrong, either about the existence of a partner, a child or both. But since one tree is by Ashley Copelin such a gross error seems unlikely.
2. The identification of the child as Ashley Copelin is wrong, but there was a child. This is possible as the existence of the child is shown in both trees but only named as Ashley in Christie Ranshaw's tree.
3. The trees are correct and Ashley is the child of Margie and was adopted by her sister.

I do not know the answer but if there was a partner it would open a new area of interest. The identity of the child is less significant to the case but, of course , if a child was confirmed it would reinforce the question about a partner.

I looked into this information and found that Ashley (Nancy's daughter) was born 3/16/87. And Nancy's son, Jason, was born 12/11/86. It's obvious they can't be born from the same mother. Both Ashley and Jason have Facebook profiles that are easily accessible. Oddly, Jason looks JUST LIKE Margie. From the property records, it shows this Ranshaw family lived among three properties (two next door to each other and one less than a mile away) during the 1980s and 1990s. Also, Christie is a cousin and connected to Ashley on Facebook.

This case still sticks with me, especially since her mother passed in 2018 and just assumed she was dead, per her obit and her SS# says she passed 05/87. Someone said they submitted the below UID three years ago but it has never been excluded. I just have so many questions and there is so little information with such a large family.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Mod Reminder:

To ensure that factual information is discussed on WS, links to MSM reports or LE statements are required for statements made as fact. The exception to this rule is when we have a Verified Insider that is a family member or friend to the victim or missing person.

The Verified Insider process is completely confidential and details can be found here: Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

To adhere to the standards WS has in place and best support families any posts stated as fact when someone is not a VI will be removed. Upon completion of the VI process, these posts may be reinstated.

Thanks for your understanding and feel free to use the report feature on this post or PM a Mod/Admin if you have any questions on the VI process.

- Mad

I looked into this information and found that Ashley (Nancy's daughter) was born 3/16/87. And Nancy's son, Jason, was born 12/11/86. It's obvious they can't be born from the same mother. Both Ashley and Jason have Facebook profiles that are easily accessible. Oddly, Jason looks JUST LIKE Margie. From the property records, it shows this Ranshaw family lived among three properties (two next door to each other and one less than a mile away) during the 1980s and 1990s. Also, Christie is a cousin and connected to Ashley on Facebook.

Some of the information listed here is correct. I am Jason, Margie's Nephew, and Ashley's brother. Ashley was adopted by my biological mother, Nancy, who is Margie's sister. There is not much information regarding the disappearance of Margie and my knowledge is fairly limited given I was a newborn at the time of the disappearance. It is my understanding that Margie's disappearance was investigated by the state police but no discoveries were my. My grandfather believed strongly that Margie had passed and thats why she was listed as deceased in my Uncle's obituary. As for the size of our family, I wouldn't describe it as large.

Some of the information listed here is correct. I am Jason, Margie's Nephew, and Ashley's brother. Ashley was adopted by my biological mother, Nancy, who is Margie's sister. There is not much information regarding the disappearance of Margie and my knowledge is fairly limited given I was a newborn at the time of the disappearance. It is my understanding that Margie's disappearance was investigated by the state police but no discoveries were my. My grandfather believed strongly that Margie had passed and thats why she was listed as deceased in my Uncle's obituary. As for the size of our family, I wouldn't describe it as large.

Hi J Cope.
I was wondering if you know if your Aunt had multiple ear piercings and shorter hair when she disappeared?

Thanks for the information.
When a teen or adult woman disappears, it often turns out to have been related to domestic violence that culminated with murder.
In many other cases, a woman with a young child is killed by the child's father because that father wants to avoid paying child support. (In that siuation, the child is usually killed, too.)
Do you know whether your mother had been involved with anyone who was abusive? Was she planning to seek child support from anyone?

This is an odd case. Apart from the usual listings on missing person sites there is nothing out there. Whilst this is hardly unique, it is surprising when there appears to be a large family still alive, including siblings, nephews and nieces, and possibly even parents. One mystery appears from entries on Ancestry. Margie appears in two family trees on Ancestry; one belonging to Ashley Copelin, who is listed as a niece on the obituary of Mark Ranshaw (Margie's brother) in 2007, and the other tree is from Christie Ranshaw, whose relationship to Margie is unclear. Both of these trees show that Margie was married at some point (or had a partner) and that there was a child. More confusingly, the Christie Ranshaw tree names the child as Ashley Copelin, who has the (married) name of Margie's sister and is shown as the sisters daughter in Mark Ranshaw's obituary. So there appear to be three possibilities;

1. The trees are wrong, either about the existence of a partner, a child or both. But since one tree is by Ashley Copelin such a gross error seems unlikely.
2. The identification of the child as Ashley Copelin is wrong, but there was a child. This is possible as the existence of the child is shown in both trees but only named as Ashley in Christie Ranshaw's tree.
3. The trees are correct and Ashley is the child of Margie and was adopted by her sister.

I do not know the answer but if there was a partner it would open a new area of interest. The identity of the child is less significant to the case but, of course , if a child was confirmed it would reinforce the question about a partner.
The answer is number 3.
DNA breakthroughs give new hope to daughter of missing mom | WOODTV.com

Margie has DNA but not dentals, and the UID has dentals but not DNA. :(

The UID could be Margie, though.
The police had her dental records but apparently they lost or misplaced them.

When a teen or adult woman disappears, it often turns out to have been related to domestic violence that culminated with murder.
In many other cases, a woman with a young child is killed by the child's father because that father wants to avoid paying child support. (In that siuation, the child is usually killed, too.)
Do you know whether your mother had been involved with anyone who was abusive? Was she planning to seek child support from anyone?
I do not believe this to be the case.

I just wanted to bump for Margie and also check to see if the unidentified listed below had been suggested. What caught my eye is UID had long, straight, dishwater blonde hair. She was found in the attic of a rental home in Detroit 11/29/89.

PMI is somewhere between 1986 and 1989. They estimate it as far back to 1986 since she was wearing a t-shirt from the True Confessions concert tour summer of 1986. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Bob Dylan performed in East Troy on 6/27/86.

She might be worth looking into. Age is estimated at 25-35.

I do not believe this to be the case.
To update a few things. There is no medical record to say Margie has Schizophrenia. Much of this comes from an interview my sister did on TV. There are some reports from family that she heard voices, however, none of this was ever medically documented. I think it would be more fair to say she suffered from mental health than schizophrenia. As for the father's side, there has been an update. Someone from that side of the family reached out to my sister via ancestry.com com. They found the biological family, however, strangely they have shut off all contact with my sister abruptly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back