Found Deceased CA - Trammell Evans, 25, hiker, Joshua Tree NP, last seen April 30, 2023

doublestop

Reaction score
Trammell Evans was dropped off for a hike at Black Rock Campground on April 30, 2023. He was due back May 5, but has not been seen or heard from since.

Trammell, an avid hiker, is 6'03" tall, 190 pounds, has brown eyes, and brown/red hair and facial hair. He was last seen wearing a silver/light grey sun hoodie, black puffy vest, blue shorts, blue shoes, black backpack, and a dark green beanie.

Hoping he is found by now. He is said to be an avid hiker, and that's encouraging. Has he hiked this area before? Surely he has a phone with him, and hoping the phone can be used in that area -- some hiking areas aren't close to a tower, so hoping that is not the case here. Seems like he would have notified someone if his phone is with him and it's working, and he is able to use it to let someone know that he is in no trouble, or that he needs help. It's dark now, current temp is 60F, and the elevation is ~ 4000 ft.

double post

Last edited:
Paul Miller is foremost in my mind whenever I hear about Joshua Tree NP on the forum.

1683548748506.png

Did his hiking experience include desert areas? It can be in the upper 90s/low 100s this time of year. For moderate hiking in hot temps, you'd need 1 to 2 liters (a liter is 4 cups) PER HOUR to replace what you'll lose. If he was planning on a 4-5 day hike he'd need to carry several gallons of water as there's only potable water at a few places at the park's edge (Black Rock used to have it). The terrain is also problematic - the trails are often rocky - "hiking" wearing athletic shoes is not ideal in my opinion. So easy to turn an ankle with a misstep. Hopefully, he's near one of the more commonly used trails which increases his likelihood of someone coming across him if he's injured.

Evans had been dropped off Black Rock Campground around 8 p.m. on April 30, according to the NPS. He planned to hike from Black Rock to Geology Tour Road, then back to Black Rock via the California Riding and Hiking Trail.

He was supposed to be picked up at 11 a.m. on May 5, but he failed to show up and was reported missing two hours later.

Evans did not register for a backcountry use permit, the park service said. Park rangers have since contacted all 55 people who had backcountry permits in the area.

This Los Angeles area man was expected to meet his ride on May 5, also at Black Rock Campground.

Did his hiking experience include desert areas? It can be in the upper 90s/low 100s this time of year. For moderate hiking in hot temps, you'd need 1 to 2 liters (a liter is 4 cups) PER HOUR to replace what you'll lose. If he was planning on a 4-5 day hike he'd need to carry several gallons of water as there's only potable water at a few places at the park's edge (Black Rock used to have it). The terrain is also problematic - the trails are often rocky - "hiking" wearing athletic shoes is not ideal in my opinion. So easy to turn an ankle with a misstep. Hopefully, he's near one of the more commonly used trails which increases his likelihood of someone coming across him if he's injured.

Yeah, I was trying to do the math. He intended to be out there for 5-6 days (and it's always best to plan for a little extra). If he left on the morning of April 30 and was not expected back until the late afternoon of May 5, he would have needed quite a bit of water.

The temps look to have been mostly in the mid-80's, although it's hard to say without knowing exactly where he went from Black Rock. Still, that only brings the need down to about a half-liter per hour while hiking, plus some for making food. Let's say 6 liters per day or 36 liters total. Even if he was only going for 5 days and skimped a little, he would need 30 liters which is 66 lbs.

So many trails branching out from Black Rock Campground! The only water is at the campground or maybe, at a little spring maybe a mile from the campground. Sounds like he was perhaps going to attempt the California Riding and Hiking Trail (3-5 days). It is recommended that a person prep for this by caching water along the route (apparently you can approach different sections by car, hike in, leave water, etc).

I think Black Rock Campground did have water this year, but he'd still have had to take a lot with him to be gone that length of time.

I can't find any news about his plans. Or even if he had a campsite at Black Rock at any point in time (he may have just started out after being dropped off). If he was planning multiple day hikes rather than trying to sleep out in the Mojave, I wish we knew that.

“I hate not hearing from him. The fact that I haven't heard from him for a month just kills me," said Amy Evans, Trammell's mother.

Amy told News Channel 3's Samantha Lomibao that Trammell lives and breathes hiking.

Screen-Shot-2023-05-30-at-10.02.46-PM-edited.png

I found a LinkedIn page for him - the picture is definitely him (or someone with a striking resemblance with the same name). It lists him as an Intern with a financial company but they do not currently show him on a list of active interns if you go to their website. So I'm assuming the internship is over. How he ended up in southern CA isn't clear, but it doesn't appear from the links in the thread here that he was working full time. https://www.linkedin.com/in/trammell-evans-a77a781b5. My personal feeling is that he is not in the park.

A lot of the questions asked above are answered on the FB Group setup by his family Log into Facebook.
He has extensive hiking experience (thru hiked the AT), including the same route he planned. The search details are summarized as well, which feel he is no longer in the park. There is also information on his lifestyle.

This is such an odd case. I'm a local and saw the posters about so came and found this thread. Entering with only two gallons of water makes no sense - it is either stupid and reckless, or means he didn't really plan to do that hike. (I saw on fb he had 3 gallons placed en route which were not touched, but that is still nowhere near enough, even tho the temps were unusually "desert mild" for that time - ie, not yet the 100s, but still 80s-90s.) Most lost hikers out here I assume truly did get lost, and search and rescue is hard in this terrain, so often folks aren't found as quickly as outside people might assume. But given his proclivity for going off grid in contact and hitchhiking and not using a phone or trackable cards, anything is possible. If he didn't use his phone, it points to hitch hiking, rather than an arranged ride, if he left the park. Not impossible out here, but if that is the theory, it would be useful to know more about why he might disappear and where he might head. Also it wouldn't be a huge list of people at Black Rock who might have seen him to give him a ride. Temps jump to the 100s next week.

Dotted blue represents what Google shows as the
California Riding and Hiking Trail that the links in the
thread 1st post state as being his intention to use to
return from the Geology Tour Rd, but it's unknown if
he did in fact get as far as the Geology Tour Rd. I
haven't seen it stated what route he was intending to
use to get to Geology Tour Rd.

Last edited:
Dotted blue represents what Google shows as the
California Riding and Hiking Trail that the links in the
thread 1st post state as being his intention to use to
return from the Geology Tour Rd, but it's unknown if
he did in fact get as far as the Geology Tour Rd. I
haven't seen it stated what route he was intending to
use to get to Geology Tour Rd.
On April 30th, 2023, at approximately 9:00 PM PT, my younger brother Trammell (Tram) Evans walked into Joshua Tree National Park via the California Riding and Hiking Trail at Blackrock Campground. Tram planned on hiking 25 miles out to the Geology Tour Rd Backcountry board and back to Blackrock Campground. He was scheduled to be picked up at 11:00 AM PT on May 5th, 2023. He never arrived for his pickup and hasn’t been seen or heard from since.

The family's FB page indicated they wanted to focus their efforts outside of the park (while JTNP keeps searching inside the park, of course). They mentioned a shoe or boot print was found that is consistent with Trammell's, but the way I interpreted the information was there was only one and it was not far into the trail. After that there don't seem to be signs of him. They've found no belongings of his and he did not access the water caches he set out along his intended path. He'd hiked this planned route previously. I'm wondering if they think he left the park intentionally. That would certainly point to a more positive outcome.

All of the above info I gathered by reading through the family's FB page for him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PurplePoloBear
Back