UK - Sycamore Gap tree at Hadrian's Wall 'felled overnight', Sept 2023 *arrests*

I read that there were high winds/stormy weather the night this happened and I’m just wondering if he would have acted alone? Seems like the risks of doing so would have been huge and he could have ended up severely hurt or even worse! I know teenagers all think themselves invincible but still…

jmo

I read that there were high winds/stormy weather the night this happened and I’m just wondering if he would have acted alone? Seems like the risks of doing so would have been huge and he could have ended up severely hurt or even worse! I know teenagers all think themselves invincible but still…

jmo
The weather would have played in his favour as it would have dispersed the noise of the chainsaw and would have meant that even fewer people than normal (which is already very few) would have been around.

A teenage boy arrested after one of the UK's most photographed trees was found cut down has been released on bail.

The 16-year-old was detained on suspicion of causing criminal damage after the Sycamore Gap tree, at Hadrian's Wall in Northumberland, was felled.

Northumbria Police said the boy has since been released on police bail, pending further inquiries.

Statement on the Sycamore Gap tree felling
For nearly 200 years, the iconic sycamore tree stood tall as a striking image at Hadrian's Wall and Housesteads Fort in Northumberland, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We’re shocked and saddened to confirm this was felled overnight on 27 September.

We're very grateful for all the offers of support we've received from people in the North East of England and much further afield. It’s clear this tree was special to many people.

Andrew Poad, General Manager at Hadrian’s Wall and Housesteads Fort, said: ‘The tree has been an important and iconic feature in the landscape for nearly 200 years and means a lot to the local community and to anyone who has visited the site.’

Currently, we’re focussed on making the site safe, and helping staff and the community come to terms with the news. We’ll be working with Northumberland National Park, other partners and the local community to consider plans for the site and the tree in the future, and we’ll inform people as soon as we know.

The site is closed to visitors​

We ask that people keep away from the site at this current time while we fully assess the fallen tree and can do the work needed to make it safe. This incident has been reported to the police.

A second arrest
#UPDATE Officers investigating the vandalism of an iconic Northumberland tree have this evening made a second arrest.

A full investigation was launched after the Sycamore Gap Tree was felled overnight between Wednesday and Thursday in what police believe was a deliberate act of vandalism.

A range of enquires have been going ever since, with the support of partners, as officers look to ascertain the full circumstances surrounding the damage and identify anyone involved.

This evening, officers have arrested a second male – in his 60s – in connection with the incident. He remains in police custody at this time and is assisting us with our enquiries.

The senseless destruction of what is undoubtedly a world-renowned landmark – and a local treasure – has quite rightly resulted in an of outpour shock, horror and anger throughout the North East and further afield.

We hope this second arrest demonstrates just how seriously we’re taking this situation, and our ongoing commitment to find those responsible and bring them to justice.

Although another arrest has been made, this investigation is still in the early stages, and we would continue to encourage any members of the public with information which may assist to get in touch.

If you’ve seen or heard anything suspicious that may be of interest to us – we’d implore you to contact us.

We'd also like to remind the public that this remains a live investigation so, for that reason, please avoid any speculation both in the community and on social media.

Any information – no matter how small or insignificant you think it may be – could prove absolutely crucial to our enquiries.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police via the ‘Tell Us Something’ page of our website or by calling 101 quoting log NP-20230928-0295.

Gary Pickles/ Northumberland National Park

Stories like this are so incredibly depressing. What is wrong with people? So utterly pointless other than to spread totally unnecessary distress. To what end? That's some significant personality disorder/mental illness on the part of the perpetrator/s.

"Police investigate claims the beloved Sycamore Gap tree was felled for a TikTok stunt as officers arrest a man in his sixties just hours after a 16-year-old boy was released after being questioned."

"Police investigate claims the beloved Sycamore Gap tree was felled for a TikTok stunt as officers arrest a man in his sixties just hours after a 16-year-old boy was released after being questioned."

I posted this yesterday (post #14) Yesterday at 4:55 AM

I really really hope this wasn't a tik tok or other social media dare. And there's no way he did that alone. More arrests coming, hopefully soon. JMO. Also hope this doesn't lead to more senseless vandalism of iconic treasures.

I posted this yesterday (post #14) Yesterday at 4:55 AM

I really really hope this wasn't a tik tok or other social media dare. And there's no way he did that alone. More arrests coming, hopefully soon. JMO. Also hope this doesn't lead to more senseless vandalism of iconic treasures.

Wild guess, the 60-year old (grandad?) drove him there.
Why on the earth would an elderly person believe TikTok is more important than an iconic, living, breathing tree???
So symbolic for thousands of fellow humans.
I hope they are both named so everyone in the area and beyond can make sure they never employ any of these ever :mad:

Wild guess, the 60-year old (grandad?) drove him there.
Why on the earth would an elderly person believe TikTok is more important than an iconic, living, breathing tree???
So symbolic for thousands of fellow humans.
I hope they are both named so everyone in the area and beyond can make sure they never employ any of these ever :mad:

They also had to have had equipment. Would a heavy-duty chainsaw be enough? It looked like a clean cut.

"Grieving tourists who have travelled to pay their respects to the felled Sycamore Gap Tree have been asked to stop touching the stump by the National Trust.

Today it was fenced off and a chalked blackboard sign from the trust was put up warning wood-loving wellwishers to stay away.

It read:
'Please respect the tree and avoid touching it or removing pieces from it.

'We will find a way to commemorate it.
Thank you'."

"Grieving tourists who have travelled to pay their respects to the felled Sycamore Gap Tree have been asked to stop touching the stump by the National Trust.

Today it was fenced off and a chalked blackboard sign from the trust was put up warning wood-loving wellwishers to stay away.

It read:
'Please respect the tree and avoid touching it or removing pieces from it.

'We will find a way to commemorate it.
Thank you'."

I believe the Trust want to protect any small shoots on the stump as they hope they can get them to grow. I had a thought in my minds eye for the future. A lovely bronze or similar metal, carved, shaped into a matching tree and place it there on the spot.. it won't be the same but no further damage could be done. No idea how much that would cost.

I believe the Trust want to protect any small shoots on the stump as they hope they can get them to grow. I had a thought in my minds eye for the future. A lovely bronze or similar metal, carved, shaped into a matching tree and place it there on the spot.. it won't be the same but no further damage could be done. No idea how much that would cost.

that's a wonderful idea
we have metal trees here by local artists

It's an archaeological and historical site.
Archaeological sites are typically investigated and researched not just once but again whenever new scientific methods etc are discovered or developed.
Placing a piece of modern metal art on the site would be totally inappropriate and would hinder future examinations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catheonlineghost
Back