IL IL - Boy, 2-3 yo, wandering alone 1:30am West 107th St, Roseland Dist, no shoes or pants, speaks Spanish, looking for his family, Chicago, 21 Dec 2023

It was in the 30's that night! It's a miracle he didn't die of exposure!

I would go to Spanish markets close by, talk to the local Spanish speaking Priest, and inquire at the local clinic as well. Every scenario mentioned upthread is a possibility, and I agree that fear may be keeping his family from coming forward. Let's hope there is a happy ending to this one.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Nothing new but this TT does show the neighborhood where this beautiful child was found wandering alone.
Being Spanish shouldn't preclude the child from speaking his name, I hope. Can typical 3yo say their first and last names? Fear may keep him from talking. How did he come to be alone and still not reported as missing?

DEC 22, 2023

Chicago police are continuing to search for the parents of a toddler who was found alone in the city's Roseland neighborhood early Thursday morning. The boy, estimated to be between 2-3 years old, was observed walking alone with no shoes or pants at 1:30 a.m. in the vicinity of 105 W. 107th Street, police said. He was transported to Roseland Hospital by the Chicago Fire Department, CPD said.

Nothing new but this TT does show the neighborhood where this beautiful child was found wandering alone.
Being Spanish shouldn't preclude the child from speaking his name, I hope. Can typical 3yo say their first and last names? Fear may keep him from talking. How did he come to be alone and still not reported as missing?

DEC 22, 2023

Chicago police are continuing to search for the parents of a toddler who was found alone in the city's Roseland neighborhood early Thursday morning. The boy, estimated to be between 2-3 years old, was observed walking alone with no shoes or pants at 1:30 a.m. in the vicinity of 105 W. 107th Street, police said. He was transported to Roseland Hospital by the Chicago Fire Department, CPD said.

2 year old? Hit or miss, my oldest was in speech therapy at 2. 3 years old and ideally they would know most likely their first name only. Moo

DEC 22, 2023

My 2.5 year-old can say his first name clearly and a close approximation of our last name. My other two were able to do the same a bit later, around age 3, though speech delays made their pronunciation less clear.

Is there any chance this baby is connected with this?
This is a good question to raise, but I don't think it is related to this case.

This toddler was found in the Roseland neighborhood of Chicago which is about 30 miles from O'Hare. Roseland is indeed the neighborhood that Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson wanted to build a 'tent city' to house newly arrived migrants. I can't imagine living in a tent during a Chicago winter. It gets below zero, winds can be strong and rain and snow regularly fall. The Mayor boldly went ahead with construction of the tents knowing there were significant environmental risks. Illinois Governor Pritzger intervened and killed the project mid-construction because of the environmental risks and the tents have now been torn down. Estimated costs to the city of Chicago are about a million dollars to build and tear down the tents.

For background, Roseland is a South/West Side Chicago neighborhood. Strictly IMO, drug use is not uncommon.

I hope this precious child finds his family or a great foster home soon. It is alarming that as of today, Christmas Day, no one has come forward to claim or identify this child.

JMO

ETA - more specific detail

Last edited:

DEC 22, 2023

My 3 year old knows his first and last name, but I don’t know how readily he’d be able to do it when he’s scared with strangers.

Our 3 year old grand knows his name, his parents names and that they are doctors. He's hard to understand but he knows this! Hopefully the last few days have given his caretakers an opportunity to get some details and clues! So happy this kiddo is safe!

Our 3 year old grand knows his name, his parents names and that they are doctors. He's hard to understand but he knows this! Hopefully the last few days have given his caretakers an opportunity to get some details and clues! So happy this kiddo is safe!
He may very well be traumatized from whatever occurred leading up to his wandering the streets. If so, that could certainly contribute to his inability to articulate anything useful.

Amateur opinion and speculation

There’s a difference between knowing one’s first name (and first/last, address, etc) and being able to verbalize that known information when under stress. This is why, for example, kindergartners typically learn one - and only one - phone number: so they can state it when under major stress, like being lost in a store.

What?? 2 - 3 years old, no pants or shoes? Middle of the night? Wonder if he wandered out of the house while everyone was asleep? Moo
Would he or could he open an outside door by himself? (It's been a while since I had a 2--3 year old.) I'm not so sure he could have -- but, maybe the door was not closed properly although the temperature in Chicago at this time is 39F and dropping.
This is very disturbing, to say the least.
This is so heartbreaking! Where is his family? Why can’t they come forward?
Just now finding this thread, so please forgive if I am saying something that has already been said...
Could his family be illegal and they are afraid to go to the police, or hospital, etc.?? Is one of the family hiding from authorities for some reason? Has harm come to the family and the person(s) responsible did not see the little boy while he/she/they harmed the family? This is just awful.
And so on, and so on... SMH.

Would he or could he open an outside door by himself? (It's been a while since I had a 2--3 year old.) I'm not so sure he could have -- but, maybe the door was not closed properly although the temperature in Chicago at this time is 39F and dropping.
This is very disturbing, to say the least.

Just now finding this thread, so please forgive if I am saying something that has already been said...
Could his family be illegal and they are afraid to go to the police, or hospital, etc.?? Is one of the family hiding from authorities for some reason? Has harm come to the family and the person(s) responsible did not see the little boy while he/she/they harmed the family? This is just awful.
And so on, and so on... SMH.
IF he's illegaly here, he might be extra scared of police & other officials. They live in fear of being deported & try to dodge contact with police etc. Kids feel & know this and act on it. (I work with refugee kids (Not in the US) and although they aren't illegal at the moment i meet them, they are still in fear of police & officials due to what they experienced getting to a western country).
IF he's illegal, it might help letting him play or sit with people who are or were in the same situation, so he can let his guard down a little. I guess/hope the police & instances taking care of him know that offcourse!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkitafrombama
Back