Sex - Female
Height - 5' 5" (65 Inches)
Weight - 130 lbs
Race / Ethnicity - White / Caucasian
Hair Color - Brown
Eye Color - Blue
Date of Last Contact - September 10, 1966
Location - Mountainview, New York
Circumstances of Disappearance - Last seen September 10, 1966.
---

Despite-a steady and chilling downpour, Thursday, troopers from Troop continued their intensive search of the Mountain View area for Mrs. Katherine Barcomb, 48, missing from 'her 'since last Saturday evening. Because of the poor weather conditions, plans to a.heli- copter into the search were abandoned Thursday, but if no trace of the woman has been found by Friday and the weather is good, police expected to go to the air. in the hunt. A While the search.

continued' in the Mountain View area, police also were following other leads. that indicated, she may have hitchhiked from the North Country or have accompanied two area women who were heading for California. It was originally believed Mrs. Barcomb had no money When she was last seen, but Information received by police Wednesday indicated she may have had from $20 to $50.

Another article also mentioned that there were leads that she might have left to Keesville or a southern state. Also, "Camp Barcombe" was apparently heavily wooded.

Attachments

• The_Post_Standard_1966_09_17_Page_32.jpg
    The_Post_Standard_1966_09_17_Page_32.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 10
Despite-a steady and chilling downpour, Thursday, troopers from Troop continued their intensive search of the Mountain View area for Mrs. Katherine Barcomb, 48, missing from 'her 'since last Saturday evening. Because of the poor weather conditions, plans to a.heli- copter into the search were abandoned Thursday, but if no trace of the woman has been found by Friday and the weather is good, police expected to go to the air. in the hunt. A While the search.

continued' in the Mountain View area, police also were following other leads. that indicated, she may have hitchhiked from the North Country or have accompanied two area women who were heading for California. It was originally believed Mrs. Barcomb had no money When she was last seen, but Information received by police Wednesday indicated she may have had from $20 to $50.
Whoops, we had the same thought :D

edit: First of all, sorry for the double post, i need to learn to think with my brain not my fingers.

I wanted to point out that the Barcombe home was in Malone and the "Camp" seems to have been in Mountain View.

Last edited:
Originally from Connecticut and had a 6 year old son and 5 year old daughter at the time of the 1950 census (so both adults when she went missing). Her son died in 2008 but her daughter is likely still living based on Ancestry records. She was born Katherine Eileen Falvey and married Earl Barcomb in October 1942. He died in 2016.

I found the 1942 marriage announcement on Newspapers.com and it said she was born in Waterbury CT and was a graduate of St. Jerome High School and Holyoke Secretarial College. I tried googling the college and only got hits for Mt. Holyoke College. I'm not sure if the two are the same. I was excited for a minute to find that Mt. Holyoke has their old yearbooks scanned on their alumni site, but after looking through 1937-1942, I didn't find her.

I can't find anything about a St Jerome high school in Connecticut so I'm wondering if it was in another state?

I think I found her on the 1940 census, working in a hospital, but I'm not 100% sure it's her. It's spelled Catherine on there and it states she hasn't attended college and that 4th year of high school is the last grade completed.

I'm still trying, and will come back and post the marriage announcement and the other small articles I found (with no photos) once I am done searching.

Marriage announcement 10/12/1942

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240128_212629_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240128_212629_Chrome.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 0
Another article

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240128_212013_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240128_212013_Chrome.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
I found the 1942 marriage announcement on Newspapers.com and it said she was born in Waterbury CT and was a graduate of St. Jerome High School and Holyoke Secretarial College. I tried googling the college and only got hits for Mt. Holyoke College. I'm not sure if the two are the same. I was excited for a minute to find that Mt. Holyoke has their old yearbooks scanned on their alumni site, but after looking through 1937-1942, I didn't find her.

I can't find anything about a St Jerome high school in Connecticut so I'm wondering if it was in another state?

I think I found her on the 1940 census, working in a hospital, but I'm not 100% sure it's her. It's spelled Catherine on there and it states she hasn't attended college and that 4th year of high school is the last grade completed.

I'm still trying, and will come back and post the marriage announcement and the other small articles I found (with no photos) once I am done searching.
Mount Holyoke College is a pretty prestigious liberal arts college founded to provide a sort of female only rival to the Ivy League colleges in the 19th century, so I am pretty sure the Secretarial College is different.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back