WI - Newlywed couple: Emerson Weingart, 33, Gina Weingart, 37, killed in Sports Page Barr shooting, Elkhorn, 1 Feb 2024

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
On Friday, flowers, candles and photos of Gina and Emerson Weingart sat in front of Sports Page Barr in downtown Elkhorn one day after police found the bodies of the couple inside.

Gina Weingart was a part-time bartender, and Emerson Weingart would sit at the bar while she worked late at night.

Emerson Weingart’s father, Jeff Weingart, said he is in shock and wants answers regarding the suspect in the shooting.

“It’s gut-wrenching,” he said. “Somebody saw them. Somebody saw them. I don’t care, you don’t pull something like that off. I can’t believe that it was just her and him in the bar. So somebody saw them, and somebody had to give a description of them, and somebody had to see the car when he drove away, and they better find him.”

1706962270457.jpeg
The support for Emerson, 33, and Gina Weingart, 37, is laid on the Sports Page Barr doorstep. There, a memorial continues to grow for the recently married couple. Their deaths are being investigated as a homicide, and police are looking for the shooter.

"It was all taped off, both sides and the back," said James Dowdal, who lives above the bar. "Kind of nerve-wracking, you know, especially when I come home at 1:30, 3:30, a quarter to 4 in the morning every day."

The distraught father added that Emerson called him minutes before he died at 12.09am.

'There was nobody there when I answered, I was asleep,' he told WISN. 'And he called. He probably didn't know who else to call.'

Police taped off the area while they searched for evidence, while devastated friends, relatives and locals left flowers, candles and photographs of the couple nearby.

Emerson was a Christian and 'avid sportsman' who 'learned to fish practically as soon as he could walk' according to the couple's joint obituary.

He grew up in Burlington, WI, and worked at Kroger as the Meat Department Manager at Metro Market in Mukwonago.

The Weingarts (pictured together) both grew up in Wisconsin and tied the knot in June 2023, only months before the attack

On Friday, flowers, candles and photos of Gina and Emerson Weingart sat in front of Sports Page Barr in downtown Elkhorn one day after police found the bodies of the couple inside.

Gina Weingart was a part-time bartender, and Emerson Weingart would sit at the bar while she worked late at night.

Emerson Weingart’s father, Jeff Weingart, said he is in shock and wants answers regarding the suspect in the shooting.

“It’s gut-wrenching,” he said. “Somebody saw them. Somebody saw them. I don’t care, you don’t pull something like that off. I can’t believe that it was just her and him in the bar. So somebody saw them, and somebody had to give a description of them, and somebody had to see the car when he drove away, and they better find him.”

View attachment 480427
The support for Emerson, 33, and Gina Weingart, 37, is laid on the Sports Page Barr doorstep. There, a memorial continues to grow for the recently married couple. Their deaths are being investigated as a homicide, and police are looking for the shooter.

"It was all taped off, both sides and the back," said James Dowdal, who lives above the bar. "Kind of nerve-wracking, you know, especially when I come home at 1:30, 3:30, a quarter to 4 in the morning every day."

It says (from a couple of days ago), they don't know if it was a robbery or not. The other linked articles (so far) say the same thing. Has anyone seen updates that indicate whether it was or wasn't a robbery?

It says (from a couple of days ago), they don't know if it was a robbery or not. The other linked articles (so far) say the same thing. Has anyone seen updates that indicate whether it was or wasn't a robbery?
Good point, leading me to be fearful of a targeted murder. If not robbery then why? Seems like they’d know by now if it was a robbery.

Good point, leading me to be fearful of a targeted murder. If not robbery then why? Seems like they’d know by now if it was a robbery.

Either targeted or completely random violence, both of which would be completely unsettling.

"Authorities have only advised people in the area to take ‘reasonable steps’ to protect themselves."

Don't they have cameras outside of the establishment? Most bars do these days. Around back, too, where they take out the garbage and empty bottles.

Was the dad suggesting that his son called him to try and get help after being shot? You'd think there would still be some patrons at the bar if the murders happened around midnight. Although the call came in just after midnight on Feb 1st so may Wednesday is a pretty quiet day being midweek.

The thing that gets me though, is that the 911 called said there were shots fired and a person down, as in one person, not two. Were they in the bar when that call was made or outside? The bar is basically a storefront, two regular sized windows with blinds and neon beer signs, flanking a glass door. So if the person who called 911 might have been outside looking through the window and seeing Emerson on the floor. They may not have been able to see Gina if she was behind the bar. The bar runs lengthwise from the right front window down towards the back. The other side has chairs and tables and a pool table.

Just heard about this yesterday. I used to live in the area and have a few-degrees-removed connection (one of my family members attended school with a family member of one of the victims), so I'll be keeping my eyes on this to see how it turns out.

No updates (that I've seen) yet. LE seems to be holding their cards pretty close to the chest, IMO.

Don't they have cameras outside of the establishment? Most bars do these days. Around back, too, where they take out the garbage and empty bottles.

Was the dad suggesting that his son called him to try and get help after being shot? You'd think there would still be some patrons at the bar if the murders happened around midnight. Although the call came in just after midnight on Feb 1st so may Wednesday is a pretty quiet day being midweek.
Elkhorn is a very typical, quiet Midwestern "small town," so there wouldn't surprise me if there weren't many cameras around, and looking at Google Maps, I'm not spotting any obvious ones on the building or in the parking lot behind it.

According to Google, the bar closes at midnight on weekdays, so the shooting would have taken place a few minutes after closing time.

Just heard about this yesterday. I used to live in the area and have a few-degrees-removed connection (one of my family members attended school with a family member of one of the victims), so I'll be keeping my eyes on this to see how it turns out.

No updates (that I've seen) yet. LE seems to be holding their cards pretty close to the chest, IMO.

Elkhorn is a very typical, quiet Midwestern "small town," so there wouldn't surprise me if there weren't many cameras around, and looking at Google Maps, I'm not spotting any obvious ones on the building or in the parking lot behind it.

According to Google, the bar closes at midnight on weekdays, so the shooting would have taken place a few minutes after closing time.
The timing seems important. Was it robbery, someone wanting to grab the cash take before its taken to the bank? Who handles the cash at the end of night? Was it found or missing. Or was it targeted at one of these two for some reason?

The timing seems important. Was it robbery, someone wanting to grab the cash take before its taken to the bank? Who handles the cash at the end of night? Was it found or missing. Or was it targeted at one of these two for some reason?
It could also have simply been an angry drunk who wasn't happy about being told that it was time to head out.

I wonder if money was missing from the till?

I'm glad this thread exists. Thank you for starting it, @imstilla.grandma

This sad, brutal event is puzzling to me. It's either that something criminal (armed robbery, for example) occurred and this couple were murdered as a result of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or it's something else. Either way, the killer seemingly vanished into the night.

JMO. I'm waiting for developments and wondering when they will come. There's something eerie in the silence.

Elkhorn, a really small, charming Wisconsin town, has a huge, regionally beloved antiques/vintage flea market that happens at the fairgrounds four times a year. People attend from all over the midwest and beyond. That's what brought me there.

“Officials have been focusing efforts on an investigation lead that developed over the weekend which identified a person of interest,” the department said. “The person of interest has been taken into custody on an unrelated matter as officials continue their investigation.”

The department refrained from releasing any additional information, including details on what was described as an "unrelated matter," in an effort "to protect the integrity of this ongoing investigation."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rutaba
Back