Found Deceased AK - Kathleen Henry, 30, video of murder victim found, Anchorage, 9 Oct 2019 *Arrest*

Do we know anything about this??
My old memory isn't working right now. I have to go eat a late dinner, but I remember there was question if he had also killed a woman named Shirley Skeek. This thread (link below) on Page 22 we discussed it, Post 433 and several posts around then. AFAIK, Shirley's body was not found.

I know this doesn't answer your question fully. I can only guess her ID was planted / found on another dead body, but that'd mean another murder? As you can read below, there was a mix up of when Veronica Abouchuk was last seen. I think they thought she had been seen at Bean's Café where many struggling to survive frequented. Anyways, posting this so people get to know these women he killed.

Veronica was a mother and a sister.
1707192679373.png

Abouchuk’s body was found in April 2019, but she wasn’t identified until October.

Police said in an October 2019 news conference that the information released previously about the café was not accurate....

Police confirmed in a news conference that Veronica Abouchuk was the second victim. Her family reported her missing in February 2019. She had last been seen by her family in July 2018, Chief Justin Doll revealed. Police said the previous information that she had last been seen in October 2018 in Anchorage was “later proven incorrect.” Throughout the months that passed, officers continued to look into her case.

In April of 2019, authorities found the human remains along an Anchorage highway. The remains were sent to a medical examiner’s office. After Smith’s arrest in the Henry case, authorities determined that he allegedly also killed Abouchuk, and they identified those remains as her.

Last edited:
No words... MOO JMO
02/05/2024 08:30 AMCourtroom 603, Nesbett CourthouseJury Trial: Superior Court CriminalSaxby, Kevin M
Looking at the court records and it seems like there is a jury trial status hearing coming up on Jan 23 and the trail is still scheduled to start on Feb 5.
Where are you? It's finally happening! Jury Selection now, then the Trial is said to maybe last 4 wks.

February 5, 2024 1 hr. ago

...Prosecutors allege he preyed on vulnerable women, at one point telling Henry she was being “serial killed.”​

[...]

(About the "found" memory card) The real story: A sex worker picked up by Smith rifled through the center console of his truck while he withdrew money from an ATM, taking the card, the motion filing said. Later, the woman watched at least some of the video and looked at some of the photos, the motion said. The card contained videos and images of the slaying of Henry, as well as attempts at disposing of her body afterward, prosecutors contend.

[...]

During jury selection Smith sat quietly between his attorneys, clad in a blue suit and tie, occasionally taking notes.

Jury selection is expected to continue Tuesday.

Opening Statements were made today

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A man accused of murdering two Alaska Native women recorded images of both of his victims, and the break in the case came when a third woman stole the man’s phone and provided police with photos and videos of one of the killings, a prosecutor told jurors during opening statements in the case Tuesday.

Brian Steven Smith faces 14 counts, including first- and second-degree murder, assault and tampering with evidence, in the deaths of Kathleen Jo Henry and Veronica Abouchuk.

Authorities said he strangled Henry, 30, in an Anchorage hotel room in September 2019, and that when they questioned him about it he volunteered that he had also killed Abouchuk, who was 52 when her family reported her missing in February 2019.

The woman who provided the images, Valerie Casler, initially told police she found a memory card containing gruesome images while walking down a street in Anchorage. She then changed her story, saying that Smith had picked her up for a “date,” that she stole a memory card when he got out of his truck to use an ATM, and that she had initially lied about it because she did not want to be arrested for theft or attempted prostitution.

She changed her story again recently, Ayer said, saying she had stolen Smith’s phone, copied the images onto a digital memory card and then lost the phone itself — along with its original photos and videos.

Investigators did find some images on a flash drive in Smith's home that he had deleted, but they were able to recover. These images showed Ms Henry alive and after death. Thank goodness for these images, because there are no words to describe the handling of the original evidence, imo.

Just found this case...watching here
^^^ Thank You so much for finding it, @legalmomma. We can watch the Trial. :) I wish I could figure out how to stop the chat showing up on the split screen. With the screen split in thirds, it's hard to see the actual courtroom. I see a woman sitting way in the back, want to know if it's his spouse.

This is just a short look at the courtroom for Opening Statements. It's from an official news source.

Alaska's News Source
Jury selection in Brian Smith case begins

Alaska's News Source
Opening statements in Brian Smith trial include gruesome contents of video evidence

Trial Live - note it keeps cutting in and out at times- this is in my own wording as close as possible to what is being said as I'm watching.

Valerie Casler is up on the stand testifying. This is the woman who took his phone from his truck (where the memory card story comes from). She admits to having been a drinker and how she used to smoke crack cocaine. Later, said the drugs didn't make her confused, but mainly kept her awake.

Brian Smith picked her up in his truck. Proceeded to drive around together, parked hung out for 1 1/2 hrs., then drove around again. (Don't know what they did.) She said she was drinking vodka drinks. She doesn't think he was drinking. He told her he was going to be leaving town for a couple of weeks. Asked her if she needed money. She was living in a tent in the woods. He said he had to go to an ATM to get some money. She waited in the truck, dropped her phone, while looking for it she saw his phone. Seemed to notice it had something on it. She put his phone in her pocket.

What stood out about him? His accent, sounded European. He drops her off, she goes back to her tent with the phone in her pocket. Charges it at the mattress store. She was coming down from a binge, had been drinking and using drugs, then she saw what was on the phone. There were about 46 pics. There's a video, she could see and hear the horrible beating and torture of Kathleen Henry. Valerie, the witness, said it made her sick to see that, especially upon seeing the woman was someone she recognized-- they had both been released from a jail on the same day.

Valerie stole a SD card from Fred Myer's store, and put it in the stolen phone of his, and saved pics one at a time, then the videos she saved onto the SD card. She turned it over to LE, and named it recognized the hotel. Plus right there was also his name, room number, and hotel somewhere on the pics / video! (Feed cut out again, so I don't know what she did with his original phone.) Break in Live Feed now.

No judgments of this woman please. Valerie Casler is a hero. There would've been many more women Brian Smith would have killed if she had not turned over that SD card to LE. She is responsible for providing the key evidence needed to stop this extremely diabolical and cruel serial killer. Thank You Valerie.

Not getting the Alaska News Source feed right now, don't know why, so using the youtube one posted above.

Now, a witness named Kahn Meas on direct is talking about finding a head (a skull) when out mushroom hunting. He was with some of his family members. After work he called the police. He couldn't tell them how to direct them to him, so they told him to just keep talking and they'd find him via the phone connection. Police came and Kahn Meas took them to the skull.

No judgments of this woman please. Valerie Casler is a hero. There would've been many more women Brian Smith would have killed if she had not turned over that SD card to LE. She is responsible for providing the key evidence needed to stop this extremely diabolical and cruel serial killer. Thank You Valerie.

She is a hero. Anyone else would have been too terrified to come forward.

Blessed be Valerie!!!!!!

Wow I missed a lot bc I somehow unfollowed a bunch of threads. Glad to see this is finally in motion! Ty @Curious Me
There you are @whiterhino. Glad you got here. This trial may last 3-4 weeks. Brian Smith is going down finally.

Apparently, Jay uses the Court TV feed, it's not up now, maybe why the Alaska News Source lost feed, so Jay (JBN) has another feed he been using. He mentioned getting a "Red Hand Emoji"... red they say is calling back the missing spirits of the women lost.
1707345468798.png

searching for a pic of "those women with the red hand print over their mouths" at Kathleen's killer's hearing. ETA- and Veronica Abouchuk.
Are these the women you are talking about?
Yes! That's why the Red Hand Emoji is important.

1707345813428.png
Joanne Sakar and Natasha Gamache, supporters of Veronica Abouchuk sit at Brian Smith's arraignment wearing red hands over their faces, symbols of a nationwide movement to improve the startling statistics about missing and murdered indigenous women. (KTUU)​

Not getting current feed. This is from Opening Statements yesterday.

1707347135074.png In the courtroom during Opening Statements.

Warning--
Please be aware that this case and trial
has
trigger warnings" for others that
may find the graphic descriptions
upsetting.

Veronica Abouchuk's sister had to leave the courtroom after trying to listen to the Opening Statements containing descriptions.
1707346952481.png

On the stand now is Witness State Trooper Ryan Anderson who was called out to the wooded area to investigate the skull being found. (We aren't seeing the exhibits.) Exhibits 1-6 are photos he took of the skull, and Exhibits 7,8, 9 google images of area. The skull was submitted to the ME office, and a team was sent out with dogs to search for the rest of the remains. The ME's office was trying to identify the skull. One of the names that eventually turned up was Veronica Abouchuk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX
Back