Found Deceased UK - Daniel Fraser, 35, last seen at 1.30 am on Musselburgh High Street, 7 Jan 2024, Musselburgh Scotland.

I don't know what to make of "flashing at traffic lights to make them change quicker" though. Must have been a car full of kids.
Edited by me for brevity.

Traffic lights can be fitted with a sensor that detects the strobe effect of an emergency vehicle's flashing blue light, and which changes the traffic light to green to allow the emergency vehicle quicker through passage. I don't think the system has ever been implemented in the UK, not that that is ever going to stop a car full of kids from trying it.

Back on track, I am still trying to work out what Daniel's last movements were. As far as I can see, he left the event at the golf course, got as far as Musselburgh High Street where he was spooked by the car, and then ran back in the direction of the golf club. Whatever, the combination of drink, possible paranoia, and a river is not good, unfortunately.

Edited by me for brevity.

Traffic lights can be fitted with a sensor that detects the strobe effect of an emergency vehicle's flashing blue light, and which changes the traffic light to green to allow the emergency vehicle quicker through passage. I don't think the system has ever been implemented in the UK, not that that is ever going to stop a car full of kids from trying it.

Back on track, I am still trying to work out what Daniel's last movements were. As far as I can see, he left the event at the golf course, got as far as Musselburgh High Street where he was spooked by the car, and then ran back in the direction of the golf club. Whatever, the combination of drink, possible paranoia, and a river is not good, unfortunately.
Thanks for the info about the traffic lights. Who knew! Maybe there’s modern ones now being rolled out ?

I too am wondering the same regarding last movements. I keep thinking why not head back to the function he’d come from. Maybe a few revellers still waiting for cabs and staff still around.

From a function you’d have thought he would be taking a cab back home not messing around with buses which I am sure will have stopped at that hour even in a big city such as Edinburgh.

ETA. Edinburgh bus only runs until midnight.

Where was he going up the high st.

Maybe to a friends house. Who knows.

Or for a takeaway if one is locally known to be open that late. Then into an uber from there. Just speculating as to why he's walked off by himself from the party into the town.

Last edited:
There are some circumstances where flashing at traffic lights is useful. Usually temporary lights at roadworks and things like that. They have sensors to detect traffic and it's possible to flash at them as you approach to get them to detect you sooner.
It doesnt make any difference if you're close enough to have stopped at the lights - they will already have detected you and flashing wont make anything happen quicker.
It also doesn't make any difference if there's other traffic at the other end of the lights. Flashing won't give you priority.
A lot of permanent traffic lights are just on a fixed schedule and flashing won't help there either.

Lot's of people don't understand the situations when flashing can be helpful and will just flash at all traffic lights - and it's not just kids doing it!

There are some circumstances where flashing at traffic lights is useful. Usually temporary lights at roadworks and things like that. They have sensors to detect traffic and it's possible to flash at them as you approach to get them to detect you sooner.
It doesnt make any difference if you're close enough to have stopped at the lights - they will already have detected you and flashing wont make anything happen quicker.
It also doesn't make any difference if there's other traffic at the other end of the lights. Flashing won't give you priority.
A lot of permanent traffic lights are just on a fixed schedule and flashing won't help there either.

Lot's of people don't understand the situations when flashing can be helpful and will just flash at all traffic lights - and it's not just kids doing it!
You learn something new every day. I pictured it as impatience and being silly. Interesting.

Just had a quick look on Googlemap. Can't find any takeaways open very late but the David Macbeth Wetherspoons is open until 1am.

Early articles say last seen Goose Green Place area.

Maybe he was struggling to get a cab and on Googlemap it shows a taxi on this road called JT.

It looks like just a registered address but he might have thought it was a taxi shop at the time then realised it wasn't and thought head back into town to try and flag a black cab.

This makes some sense to me.

From a function you’d have thought he would be taking a cab back home not messing around with buses which I am sure will have stopped at that hour even in a big city such as Edinburgh.

ETA. Edinburgh bus only runs until midnight.

Where was he going up the high st.
Fwiw, there are several night buses that run all night and pass through Musselburgh. Not as frequent as during the day, but enough that it's not infeasible to use the bus after midnight.

I have no insight whether or not that's what he would have tried to do, just wanted to clarify that it isn't impossible.

sad news. It’s an update we all feared. RIP Daniel.

Around 10.55am on Sunday, 11 February, 2024, the body of a man was discovered in the water at Musselburgh Lagoons.

Formal identification is yet to take place, but the family of missing man Daniel Fraser are aware.

There do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances and a report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.

Beneath The Surface located Daniel. Well done guys for the under appreciated work you do in really sad circumstance.

We can now confirm that this weekend we have been in Musselburgh to conduct water searches at request from the family of Daniel Fraser

Our sonar search started at 10:00 am on the morning of Sunday 11th February.

It's with heavy hearts that at 10:52 am we located a body.

We ended our search, vacated the water and reported to Police Scotland for them to conduct recovery.

Formal identification is yet to take place but our thoughts are with Daniel's family and friends at this difficult time and we ask that their privacy be fully respected

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny
Back