FL FL - Catherine Stirm, 67, brother found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a hotel in Brooksville, car found in Bradenton, 22 Jan 2024

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
ET

Detectives are “gravely concerned” about a missing Bradenton woman after her brother was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a Brooksville hotel, police said.

Catherine Stirm, 67, is being investigated by the Bradenton Police Department and the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office Homicide Task Force, police said in a news release.

Coworkers requested a welfare check on Stirm, who lives in Manatee County, on Monday. She last spoke to them on Jan. 22 but hadn’t reported to work since, police said.

Her car was found Sunday at the Sawgrass Cove apartment complex, where her brother, 64-year-old Scott Stirm, lived, on 47th Avenue W. in Bradenton.

The Sawgrass Cove apartment complex looks like an upscale place. I don't know much about American gun control laws, but I wonder whether a resident of such a place could own a gun or not; understanding whose gun it was would clear up some confusion, but I can't find much about it in the articles online.
Also not an American, but my understanding of guns and Florida is that the laws and attitudes are... pretty free and easy, to put it mildly. I don't think anyone would be prevented from owning a gun if they lived in an apartment block.

MOO

Last contact with Catherine was 1/22
Welfare check was requested on 1/29 at her home
Located her car at brothers on 1/30
2/1 ( Thursday) search warrant at brothers
2/1 (Thursday evening) found brother at hotel deceased.
I wonder how long he rented a room at the hotel? I assume he paid with a card which is how LE were able to find him. IMO

Last edited:

coworkers requested a welfare check on Catherine, who lives in Manatee County, on Jan. 29.

She reportedly spoke to coworkers on Jan. 22 but failed to report to work in subsequent days.

Law enforcement was unable to make contact with Scott Stirm, but a search of his apartment on Thursday made them “gravely concerned for Catherine’s welfare.”
I'm guessing they found something that suggested she may no longer be alive.

MOO

LE would know if more than 1 bullet had been recently fired from SS's gun. If CS left the apartment complex with SS, there are likely traffic or business cameras in the vicinity. That would help them determine the direction they went and if both of them were in the vehicle.

(UPDATED 2/7/24) - Our investigation into the disappearance of Catherine Stirm continues. Detectives continue to examine evidence obtained during several search warrants. If you have information please contact Det. Beckley at 941-932-9300.
1f6a8.png
Bradenton Police Detectives and the Manatee County Homicide Task Force are investigating the suspicious disappearance of 67-year-old Catherine Stirm.
1f6a8.png

Coworkers requested a welfare check on Ms. Stirm, who lives in Manatee County, on January 29. Catherine spoke to coworkers on January 22 but failed to report to work in subsequent days.
Detectives located Catherine's car at the Sawgrass Cove Apartment complex, 47th Avenue W., Bradenton, on January 30. Her brother, Scott Stirm, 64, lives at the complex. Repeated attempts to speak with Scott were unsuccessful. Detectives conducted a search warrant at Scott's home on Thursday, February 1. The evidence collected makes us gravely concerned for Catherine’s welfare.
Detectives located Scott Stirm's vehicle at the Days Inn, 6320 Windmere Rd., Brooksville, on Thursday night. Scott was found deceased from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in his hotel room. Catherine was not with her brother.
If you have any information about the disappearance of Catherine Stirm contact Detective Jeff Beckley at jeff.beckley@bradentonpd.com or call BPD at 941-932-9300.
Submit tips anonymously to Crime Stoppers at manateecrimestoppers.com

or 866-634-8477. You may be eligible for a reward of up to $3,000.

Well this sounds really bad. This article says the brother took his life while police were outside his room (BBM):

"Censullo told SNN that he took his own life knowing there authorities were there. Law enforcement heard the gunshot, and when they talked into the room, they found Catherine’s brother dead from a self-inflicted wound".

For some reason it seems kind of ironic to me that the brother was found dead in a hotel room and this linkedin looks like he was a night auditor at a Holiday Inn Express:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyLFC1892
Back