OH OH - Amanda Dean - 41 - Chronic DV Victim - Collins - 11 July 2017 *ARREST*

Nov 16, 2023

On Thursday afternoon, The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation confirmed to 3News that they executed a search warrant related to the investigation of Dean.

The BCI's Special Victims Unit executed the search warrant at a property on Wells Road outside of Collins in Huron County. Search activities concluded at approximately 3:30 p.m.

The Cleveland Family Center for Missing Children and Adults released the following statement on Thursday following the news:

"There have been new developments happening today in the case of Amanda Dean who has been missing in Huron County since July 2017. Cleveland Missing remains committed to Amanda’s family and at this time the family has asked for privacy as the investigation continues to unfold. The family renews its unwavering support of the Ohio Attorney General’s Office and Bureau of Criminal Investigation."

SMH. Looks like Sheriff Corbin obstructed justice. MOO. My heart breaks for her mother,and loved ones. It's infuriating when those with a gun,and badge pull this kind of garbage. While the family is left out in the cold.

FEB 9, 2024
[...]

According to a release from nonprofit Cleveland Missing, a suspect has been indicted in Huron County Common Pleas on charges of murder, gross abuse of a corpse, and tampering with evidence. A source close to the investigation tells WKYC the suspect is Fredrick Reer, Dean's former boyfriend.

[...]

Per Cleveland Missing Board President and Newburgh Heights Police Chief John T. Majoy, Reer is currently being held in the Huron County Jail and will be arraigned in court on Monday. ...

Police sources told the FOX 8 I-Team that Frederick Reer was arrested by a BCI agent after a secret indictment was unsealed. He’s being held in the Huron County Jail.

Cleveland Missing confirmed that grand jury indictments, including charges of murder, gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence, were issued on Friday.

1707552394344.jpeg
According to a release from nonprofit Cleveland Missing, a suspect has been indicted in Huron County Common Pleas on charges of murder, gross abuse of a corpse, and tampering with evidence. A source close to the investigation tells WKYC the suspect is Fredrick Reer, Dean's former boyfriend.

Dean was 36 years old in July of 2017 when she was first reported missing. Her mother, Caroline Tokar, told 3News Investigates in 2020 that she believed her daughter had been abused by a boyfriend and that it was "out of character" for her to go so long without contacting her family.

"I've never heard from my daughter," Tokar said of Dean, a mother of four. "No one in my family has heard from her. We don't know if she is safe."

However, Huron County Sheriff Todd Corbin told WKYC that same year that Amanda had been living at a domestic violence shelter. He claimed staff members at the facility had spoken to him and said she was "in a good place" and "being cared for."

"It's at her discretion if she wants to contact her family," Corbin added at the time. "She is not being held against her will

FEB 10, 2024

Right there, all along?

Content Link
State agents gather at a site on the property at 1744 Wells Road on Monday, Nov. 20, 2023 JOE CENTERS/Register/Reflector photo
[...]

Amanda's family wanted Corbin to search the property at Wells Road where Amanda lived with Reer in an outbuilding when they reported her missing back in 2017, but Corbin refused.

In November, a team of agents from the attorney general's office with a backhoe and mobile crime lab vans, executed a search warrant at the property.

The search warrant filed in Norwalk Municipal Court was sealed, however, so it's unknown what agents were searching for on the property, and what, if anything, was removed.

About a dozen agents were there for about 10 hours over two days, working at several dig sites on the property.

February 13, 2024

NORWALK, Ohio — The recent murder indictment in the case involving Amanda Dean's former boyfriend has prompted new questions about how the Huron County Sheriff's Office handled the case before handing it off to the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI).

The Board president of Cleveland Missing says — based on what he's read, seen, and heard — he believes the sheriff's office had "dropped the ball" on Amanda's case.

In a March 2020 interview with the 3News Investigates team, Amanda's mother Caroline Tokar said she believed her daughter's boyfriend — Frederick Reer — had abused her. Her worst fear was that Amanda was dead, even though the sheriff's office was telling her she was alive.

During that same investigative story in 2020, Sheriff Todd Corbin told WKYC his team was initially investigating Amanda Dean as a missing person's case. However, they stopped the investigation, he said, after a domestic violence shelter told him she was living there.

"And that makes me sad, because this family had asked for answers for years and they had gone to the sheriff's office and dropped off cards and asked that the cards be given to [Amanda] under the assumption that she was alive, but she wasn't," he added. "[The family] asked for proof of life for a long time, and they had not gotten it."

More at link.

February 13, 2024

NORWALK, Ohio — The recent murder indictment in the case involving Amanda Dean's former boyfriend has prompted new questions about how the Huron County Sheriff's Office handled the case before handing it off to the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI).

The Board president of Cleveland Missing says — based on what he's read, seen, and heard — he believes the sheriff's office had "dropped the ball" on Amanda's case.

In a March 2020 interview with the 3News Investigates team, Amanda's mother Caroline Tokar said she believed her daughter's boyfriend — Frederick Reer — had abused her. Her worst fear was that Amanda was dead, even though the sheriff's office was telling her she was alive.

During that same investigative story in 2020, Sheriff Todd Corbin told WKYC his team was initially investigating Amanda Dean as a missing person's case. However, they stopped the investigation, he said, after a domestic violence shelter told him she was living there.

"And that makes me sad, because this family had asked for answers for years and they had gone to the sheriff's office and dropped off cards and asked that the cards be given to [Amanda] under the assumption that she was alive, but she wasn't," he added. "[The family] asked for proof of life for a long time, and they had not gotten it."

More at link.
This is just awful. Legal action should be taken against such law enforcement, they obviously knew she wasn't at any shelter.

FEB 14, 2024
[...]

Dean was allegedly killed by Fred Reer, 40, of the 1700 block of Wells Road in Collins on or about July 11, 2017, according to an indictment filed Friday in Huron County Common Pleas Court.

It's the same day her family reported her missing.

[...]

In November, about a dozen state agents using a backhoe and mobile crime lab vans, spent about 10 hours over two days executing a search warrant at the Wells Road property.

The indictment filed Feb. 9 suggests they recovered evidence that Amanda was killed there and that some body parts or other evidence might have been recovered during the search.

It's still not known what evidence was collected. The search warrant and related documents were sealed for 90 days by Norwalk Municipal Court Judge Eric Weisenburger in November.

[...]

On Tuesday, the judge extended the seal for another 90 days.

[...]

FEB 14, 2024
[...]

Dean was allegedly killed by Fred Reer, 40, of the 1700 block of Wells Road in Collins on or about July 11, 2017, according to an indictment filed Friday in Huron County Common Pleas Court.

It's the same day her family reported her missing.

[...]

In November, about a dozen state agents using a backhoe and mobile crime lab vans, spent about 10 hours over two days executing a search warrant at the Wells Road property.

The indictment filed Feb. 9 suggests they recovered evidence that Amanda was killed there and that some body parts or other evidence might have been recovered during the search.

It's still not known what evidence was collected. The search warrant and related documents were sealed for 90 days by Norwalk Municipal Court Judge Eric Weisenburger in November.

[...]

On Tuesday, the judge extended the seal for another 90 days.

[...]
What would be the reason to keep this information sealed?

Police sources told the FOX 8 I-Team that Frederick Reer was arrested by a BCI agent after a secret indictment was unsealed. He’s being held in the Huron County Jail.
sbm - I’m sorry, why was this indictment sealed in the first place? and then what allowed them to magically unseal it and discover whatever evidence was there to arrest this ?

sbm - I’m sorry, why was this indictment sealed in the first place? and then what allowed them to magically unseal it and discover whatever evidence was there to arrest this ?
IANAL but it makes sense to me that it was initially sealed until the grand jury convened to hear the case. Grand Jury proceedings are always confidential. I believe it's standard for it to remain sealed after the indictment is issued and until the accused has been served. It will all come out eventually. MOO

Could this FR character maybe have been a confidential informant? I've noticed that in a lot of cases where LE isn't reacting to a suspect in the way we'd expect, the suspect has turned out to be a CI. MOO, IMO, etc

APR 7, 2024
[...]

Fred Reer, 40, attended court via video conference from Huron County Jail where he resides. He has not made an attempt at bail, which is set at $1 million.

During the pretrial, Huron County Common Pleas Court Judge James Conway moved his next pretrial up a week, from April 17, to 1 p.m. on April 10.

His jury trial is scheduled for May 1.

[...]

APR 10, 2024
[...]

His head was shaved and he was wearing a jail jumpsuit with his hands cuffed and his feet shackled.

During the pretrial, Huron County Common Pleas Court Judge James Conway announced that Reer's new final pretrial hearing is scheduled for 2 p.m. on Wednesday, May 15.

Reer's trial date has now been set for Monday, Sept. 16. The trial is expected to last up to a week.

[...]

Shameful.

APR 22, 2024
A self-described podcaster falsely accused family members of a murdered woman of being involved in her disappearance, harassed them and tried to extort the dead woman's sister.

That's according to a search warrant filed in Erie County Common Pleas Court on April 15 in State vs. Ashli Ford, a felony extortion and intimidation case against the 39-year-old Milan woman.

[...]

Ford went to the property when news broke that agents were there with a search warrant. She spoke of the experience in her Facebook post.

"Everyone's eyes were on me," Ford wrote. "People beeped and waved to me as they drove by. My phone rang constantly for interviews. I gave at least four. They called me! I did not reach out to the media."

[...]

"That's the only thing that's ever kept Amanda from being found," Ford wrote. "Not Sheriff Corbin. Not the media. Not a stranger. Her mother and her sister have kept justice from Amanda. They do it every time they lie or try to shift the narrative to make themselves look better."

[...]

MAY 16, 2024
[...]

During the hearing, Huron County Common Pleas Judge James Conway said he had received a request from defense attorney J. Anthony Rich for Reer to receive an assessment and evaluation.

"Counsel needs professional assurance that (Reer) is competent, to a reasonable degree of medical certainty, and that he is able to assist counsel in his own defense before further hearings in this matter and further needs to be assured he understood right from wrong at the time the alleged offenses occurred," Rich wrote in the motion.

Conway said that the court would schedule a time for Reer to receive that evaluation.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fe!ng!rl
Back