Houston- Adult, child injured in shooting at Joel Osteen’s Lakewood church

IceIce9

Verified EMT
Reaction score
A woman in a trench coat armed with a long rifle – and accompanied by a young child – entered pastor Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church on Sunday afternoon and began firing, Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said.

Two off-duty law enforcement officers – a Houston police officer and an agent with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission – engaged and struck the woman, who died on the scene, Finner said. The woman was roughly 30-35 years old, the chief said.

A boy was critically injured on Sunday afternoon after a woman opened fire at a Christian megachurch in Houston led by Joel Osteen, the televangelist and pastor, the authorities said.

At just before 2 p.m., the woman, holding a rifle, wearing a trench coat and carrying a backpack, entered Lakewood Church, among the largest congregations in the United States. She came with a boy of about 4 or 5 years old, Chief Troy Finner of the Houston Police Department said at a news conference on Sunday.

HOUSTON -- A woman in a trenchcoat opened fire with a long gun inside celebrity pastor Joel Osteen’s megachurch in Texas before being gunned down by two off-duty officers who confronted her, sending worshippers rushing from the building between busy Sunday services, authorities said.

I worked for years in the building directly next to this, the one with the black/gray mirrored panels you can see in the background of the photos. That was a really good police response - they hit every entrance and exit easily and that’s a complicated site.

Yeah this is just crazy. A WOMAN in the prime of her life wearing a trench coat with and bringing a child. If mass murder was her motive, would this be the first woman mass shooter we've had?

And yeah - HPD's response really impressed me too. Add to that a likely language barrier with this being the Spanish speaking service, and organizing a reunification center so quickly.

There were armed police officers on duty inside the church at the time of shooting. Is that standard practice?
Many LE work off duty hours at private businesses/venues. Yes, Churches employ or have volunteer off duty officers. MOO

"Two off-duty law enforcement officers who were working at the church on Sunday shot and killed the woman after she opened fire, Chief Finner said."

UPDATE: 6:45 p.m. CT
Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo issued a statement concerning the shooting at Lakewood Church on Sunday. Hidalgo raised the possibility of the shooting being investigated as a hate crime, and intimated that the child accompanying the shooter has sustained "terrible injuries."
[snip]
"...I will not make any assumptions because information continues to come in as to what motivated the shooter, but I am asking that the investigation look into whether [the shooting] was a hate crime, given the shooting took place at an all-Spanish service."
and
UPDATE: 4:50 p.m. CT
[snip]
The woman was downed by two off-duty officers working at the church. One was a veteran Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission officer, the other a 28-year-old HPD officer. After being shot, the woman told authorities she had a bomb, Finner told media. Subsequent searches of her person and vehicle have not yielded explosives, authorities said. The woman was also said to have sprayed some material on the ground before dying, according to Finner.

There were armed police officers on duty inside the church at the time of shooting. Is that standard practice?
Lakewood Church is the third largest in the US, not surprising to me. Our own small local Church in CA has two armed members in every service. These days - Failure to plan, is planning to fail - even in a Church setting, JMO.

Yeah this is just crazy. A WOMAN in the prime of her life wearing a trench coat with and bringing a child. If mass murder was her motive, would this be the first woman mass shooter we've had?

And yeah - HPD's response really impressed me too. Add to that a likely language barrier with this being the Spanish speaking service, and organizing a reunification center so quickly.
No, we've had Audrey Hale, Brenda Spencer, Jennifer San Marco, Amy Bishop, Tashfeen Malik, Nasim Aghdan, and Latina Williams. Per Rare breed: Audrey Hale takes infamous spot as 7th female mass shooter in US history

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back