NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

On Feb 12 the camp was given a list of new rules/regulations which included they accept no new kids.
On Feb 16 they made the move to remove all kids from the camp.
We don't know during these 4 days of the ongoing federal and state's investigation what evidence they found which warranted the removal of the children.
The young boy's death is being investigated as a homicide.

Last edited:
I noticed the article did NOT include the link to the parents comments.

Moo, the camp would not issue any statement with out attorney approval. To accuse LE, publicly to the media, I'm pretty confident, this did happen.

If, the Sheriff did remove the children, question them with out parental consent or being offered an attorney, and lied to the parents. It ain't gonna be pretty. He broke the law, yup.

Moo
BBM

A social worker very well could /should have been with children and they certainly can question a child w/o parental permission if their safety is an issue.

Ok. And that sits heavily with me and other posters who would never think of submitting our kids or anyone else's to such a process.

A boy died, 12 y old small boy, under investigation.

Of course the camp should not be open
I know everyone is upset and I've been "the odd man out" on the thread. I am heartbroken a child died, it's unimaginable for the parents.

However, NC State Code, is very specific on all guidelines, suspension and closures, they are the law. They had BHH and DSS ONSITE since the death. I'm sure they are trying their hardest to find enough deficiency, to meet the law for closure. I suspect the phones are ringing off the hook in Raleigh demanding closure. The sheriff clearly wants it closed, and the media's selective reporting has not been helpful.

To not close and issue a 60 day admission suspension tells me, it may not be their fault.

Moo

I noticed the article did NOT include the link to the parents comments.

Moo, the camp would not issue any statement with out attorney approval. To accuse LE, publicly to the media, I'm pretty confident, this did happen.

If, the Sheriff did remove the children, question them with out parental consent or being offered an attorney, and lied to the parents. It ain't gonna be pretty. He broke the law, yup.

Moo
Read it again. IT was not the sheriff who was lying

I find their statement tone deaf, legal advice or not. By all means come out and say that they are disappointed with this decision, but understand that the children's welfare is paramount and they are fully cooperating with the investigation, which they are certain will clear the camp of any wrong doing or liability in this young boys tragic death, and they look forward to being able to 'help' many more children and families blah blah blah.
At this moment our thoughts are with the boys family and friends, and all our other 'students' at this terrible time.

Coming out on the attack just looks sketchy to me, if they know they will be exonerated and given the green light to go back to kidnapping and breaking children into submission after a couple of months, why are they slinging so much of their healing mud?. Just hush up and wait.

JMO

On Feb 12 the camp was given a list of new rules/regulations which included they accept no new kids.
On Feb 16 they made the move to remove all kids from the camp.
We don't know during these 4 days of the ongoing federal and state's investigation what evidence they found which warranted the removal of the children.

Well, Citizens was the first to report the camp was closed and the children were in state custody, until the parents arrived. But where's the letter that he derived these quotes that he printed, from BHH saying they closed the camp?
I've emailed the Citizens reporter three times for the letter, or written press release or source for BBH, he has never responded.

Now today ,the a leading MSM source, has the letter from BHH, dated Feb 16th, contradicting everything that we have heard in the media about closure, moving the children all of it.

So folks can decide who they are going to believe. Citizens or the letter from the state and the Charlotte Observer.
moo

Last edited:
I find their statement tone deaf, legal advice or not. By all means come out and say that they are disappointed with this decision, but understand that the children's welfare is paramount and they are fully cooperating with the investigation, which they are certain will clear the camp of any wrong doing or liability in this young boys tragic death, and they look forward to being able to 'help' many more children and families blah blah blah.
At this moment our thoughts are with the boys family and friends, and all our other 'students' at this terrible time.

Coming out on the attack just looks sketchy to me, if they know they will be exonerated and given the green light to go back to kidnapping and breaking children into submission after a couple of months, why are they slinging so much of their healing mud?. Just hush up and wait.

JMO
I think they're on the defense, what was originally reported from Citizens, is not what the letter from the BHH board states.

Waiting to see if the Sheriff's gonna speak up. I think we need to hear if he removed 4 boys and questioned them, and lied to parents.

Moo ...

Parents WANTING to believe the camp is safe does not make so.

Looks like the camp's mouthpiece has conveniently forgotten to mention that the FBI has also been investigating the young boy's death.
Their findings very well could have been the reason or part of the reason for the kid's removal.
The camp has been claiming the boy's death was accidential from the get-go with no confirmed evidence.

“Parents believe the program is safe and do not want their children’s treatment disrupted by the State, which has continued to make reckless decisions based on false and misleading information from the Transylvania County Sheriff’s Office,” said the statement, which was issued through a public relations firm.

The statement also maintained that the boy’s death was accidental. '

BBM

A social worker very well could /should have been with children and they certainly can question a child w/o parental permission if their safety is an issue.
Actually we had to have psychologist develop a plan, and coach the Newport News police department on how to questions children in an elementary school shooting. It was 60 days or more before law enforcement could speak with any of the children.

Emotional/Behavioral challenged adolescents should not be questioned by a small town local Sheriff. I cannot imagine how scared these children were and according to the article they were not even aware of the death.

Moo

Read it again. IT was not the sheriff who was lying
Well then who's lying?

The Charlotte Observer is one of the most reputable and largest newspapers in the south. I don't think that they would print the story, without betting all their sources.

Time will tell, let's see if the Sheriff, makes a public rebuttal or denies the allegations.

Moo...

Parents WANTING to believe the camp is safe does not make so.

Looks like the camp's mouthpiece has conveniently forgotten to mention that the FBI has also been investigating the young boy's death.
Their findings very well could have been the reason or part of the reason for the kid's removal.
The camp has been claiming the boy's death was accidential from the get-go with no confirmed evidence.

“Parents believe the program is safe and do not want their children’s treatment disrupted by the State, which has continued to make reckless decisions based on false and misleading information from the Transylvania County Sheriff’s Office,” said the statement, which was issued through a public relations firm.

has continued to make reckless decisions based on false and misleading information from the Transylvania County Sheriff’s Office,” said the statement, which was issued through a public relations firm.

Yes, the Charlotte Observer printed the camps PR release. It had a link, they did not include with the parents statements.
I'm trying to locate a source for that link.

Link to parents responses to the camp.

From their statement I was expecting statements from the current parents speaking out against dhhs and the sheriffs department.
Of course Trails would publish all the good stuff from a handful of previous parents, but unless they are just as transparent with the many horror stories from actual participants in their programmes, which can easily be found around the net, I won't be putting too much stock into it.

Link to parents responses to the camp.

Hmm. Call me sceptical.

Even if they’re authentic, we probably need to remember that parents who sent their own kids here may be feeling criticised and defensive about those choices and will come out fighting accordingly

I mostly just can’t get my head around the fact that these places are even legal. They’re barbaric. A dystopian horror story. Men taking your kid in the night? I’ve read about lots of frightening things thanks to my true crime habit but this is the first thing that has blown my mind in a while. I can’t stop thinking about how frightened the kids would be.

Troubled kids are really not easy to be around, and they’re often not likeable at all, with behaviours that challenge the most calm and loving parents. How do these places convince parents that staff in the camps will somehow find love and patience for these difficult kids?

From their statement I was expecting statements from the current parents speaking out against dhhs and the sheriffs department.
Of course Trails would publish all the good stuff from a handful of previous parents, but unless they are just as transparent with the many horror stories from actual participants in their programmes, which can easily be found around the net, I won't be putting too much stock into it.
Well said.
The camp's fan mail is irrelevant.

The Dept of Human Services (DSS) removed the children. The Behavioral Health Board did NOT close them.

So, did the local sheriff and locals social services make this decision after they found out BHH was not going to close the facility? Theu call up parents and threatened to take custody if they don't immediately come pick up the child.

OMG, to be threatened by DSS and the Sheriff's, to go in and physical remove emotional challenged adolescence and take into custody. What a nightmare for these children.
Moo

Press Release for Dept of Human Services

I'm not from the States and I've never heard of these behavioral camps. It all sounds horrific and barbaric to me. Just my opinion. May the child RIP.

there's plenty of them in the U.K. too

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim
Back