Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

It’s early yet, but I’m fully expecting her body to be a forensic goldmine. Pretty much every similar case I can think of has involved DNA being left on the body. I can’t imagine she was shot (injuries were reported), so that leaves something like stabbing or blunt force trauma; this guy had to get close to her, and I’m sure she would have tried to defend herself.

Skin under the fingernails, and DNA from (possible) sexual assault.

Hopefully witnesses and/or camera footage can help.

I'm wondering about a friend reporting her missing by noon after she went for a jog that morning. I was close with my roommate and still wouldn't have called police/security in this situation--UNLESS there was an ex-boyfriend or some other situation that would make me more concerned about her.

I'm wondering about a friend reporting her missing by noon after she went for a jog that morning. I was close with my roommate and still wouldn't have called police/security in this situation--UNLESS there was an ex-boyfriend or some other situation that would make me more concerned about her.
I was discussing this case with someone and they said the same thing (this was seemingly reported fast). The counterpoint is that she may have had a regular pattern, and she happened to break it (always returned at around the same time).

Statistically, I think your theory is more likely, as victims tend to know their attackers, and she may have had a volatile relationship or a stalker or something. Hopefully we get some more information to work with soon.

It is possible the friend could track her location on life 360 or a similar app. If it was not moving for an extended period of time that could explain how the police found her so quickly.
Yup, the University also has an app called "Friend Walk," which allows friends to track you as you travel to your destination. New Safety App - UGA - UGA Student Affairs

Sincere condolences to her family and friends.

She had an amazing friend who called for help. I could easily see someone thinking there must have been a change of plans and not being overly concerned until half a day or more had passed.

Additionally I think the officers who went out to look for her should be commended.

Georgia Southern University Police were contacted by University Housing officials who discovered the body of a Georgia Southern University student on Monday evening at University Villas, an apartment-style community on campus.

The identity of the student is being withheld pending the notification of next of kin. Following an initial investigation, University Police noted that there were no signs of forced entry or criminal acts.

A UGA spokesman said in an email late Thursday that the woman, whose identity has not yet been released, “was an undergraduate student at the University of Georgia until the spring of 2023, and then she became a nursing student at the Augusta University nursing program in Athens.”
She also was a member of a UGA sorority.

Earlier Thursday, a student described the day as “dreary.”

“I hope everyone stays safe,” he said, asking to not be named.

Added another student who also asked not be identified: “I’m not going out this weekend. Probably not going out for a long time. And I know a lot of people going home this weekend.”

*Off topic, sort of…

Last edited:
I came to see if this had been posted. This is my hometown and I still have family there. Growing up in Athens I always felt safe at any hour especially broad daylight! My heart goes out to this young woman and those who love here. Praying they will find answers soon. Like OP, I wondered why the friend contacted police so quickly unless there was some threat to this young woman.

Per the discussion about the victim not being a UGA student, that is technically correct. As other sources have stated, she was technically a student at Augusta University. As a UGA alum and Athens resident, I can say that this is a very common situation. UGA does not have their own nursing school. However, there is a partnership with Augusta University (formerly the Medical College of Georgia) where students attend UGA for their first two years of core classes before applying into the (very competitive) Athens campus of Augusta University. So, when you see conflicting statements that she most certainly as a UGA student and then that she was most certainly not a UGA student, it makes sense as a native. If you're in Greek life at the university, you're able to still be affiliated with your chapter even if you're a student at Augusta University. So, aside from the coursework you complete and the physical place you attend classes, life is very similar to being a UGA student. I hope this helps some people understand the confusion.

Kelly Girtz, the mayor of the Athens-Clarke County Unified Government, said in a statement on social media Thursday that he, along with his colleagues, is "in deep sadness over today's murder in our city."

"We promise to do everything possible to collaborate with UGA PD to bring this investigation to a rapid conclusion, and will continue to work overtime to prevent future tragedies," Girtz said.

I wonder if any of her friends or family might have spoken to her about an angry or violent ex or someone stalking.
IMO it gives off vibes of someone knowing a routine and waiting in the right spot at the right moment.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe someone was watching her habits and waited for the opportune time.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe someone was watching her habits and waited for the opportune time.
Not saying that this could not happen, but the area she was in is not one that would be reliable empty at that time of day. The intramural fields (where she was running) are often very busy, especially when the weather is as nice as it has been lately in Athens. I just have so many questions.

A nursing student was found dead at the University of Georgia -- and police suspect foul play.Her roommate became worried after she did not return from jogging. Here is our latest report -- I'll be in Athens, Georgia tomorrow morning with the latest.

Investigation at the University of Georgia continued overnight into the young woman found dead after going for a jog.Foul play suspected based on her injuries. Classes cancelled today. If you have info - call police 706-542-2200.

Victim was an undergraduate student at the University of Georgia until the spring of 2023 and then enrolled at Augusta University’s nursing program.There has not been a murder at UGA in 20 years.

University of Georgia victim’s body was found in a forested area behind Lake Herrick near the intramural fields at 12:38 pm, police say.Police immediately began searching for suspect — checking cars and surveillance cameras.No one is in custody.

There was another death investigated on campus at Brumby Hall on Wednesday, but foul play is not suspected and Clark said it is not connected with Thursday’s homicide case.

Police said anyone with information is asked to contact UGA police at (706) 542-2200.

So sad to see her picture - what a beautiful, happy-looking girl. As far as the roommate notifying police so quickly, I agree that it might mean there was a reason for concern. But, I was thinking about my youngest daughter and her roommate. They are very close and if my daughter knew her roommate had a class, etc., she would be concerned quickly if her roommate failed to return from a run. We'll see as more information comes out, I'm sure. I hate that there is apparently no suspect. I thought about Katie Jannis's murder in Piedmont Park that is still unsolved. I haven't heard any rumors about the cause of death here, though, so no idea if they are at all similar.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sofamusic
Back