Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

The fact that they have their mobile command center in the vicinity of where this person was taken into custody, is really telling.

I think the location makes it probable that this person is a student.
Yes, I agree that it is probable that this person is a student. Clearly anyone can rent an apartment most anywhere, but that part of town is heavily populated with students. As a former UGA student and Athens adult now, most non-students would choose to live elsewhere.

Any wounds the perp received will still be obvious and I hope she got a ton of DNA under her nails. 3 in handcuffs. One being interviewed by LE.
BBM

Where is everyone seeing this?

The apartment complex backs up to the forest park next to the UGA intramural fields.

With the location of the apartment complex so close to where the victim was attacked, I think it's an 'opportunistic' attack. Perhaps the POI was caught on CCTV in the area and then heading back to the apartment. Perhaps others had reported a creepy dude in the area of the trails recently and provided a supporting description.

She was a member of a sorority and the term "roommate" likely does not describe the friendship which is probably closer than merely "roommate." That is my hunch.

Perhaps the friend had plans with the jogger and when she didn't return from the jog, it was instantly a worry. I'm assuming the friend tried to reach the jogger by phone/text and couldn't, which increased her worry.

jmo
I agree! I think girls specifically are getting better about sharing their locations or at least telling someone where they are going to be. There have been many girls go missing on runs and even when it feels safe, it just is a risk a female takes when running alone (I am not saying it's wrong to do so, I almost always run alone myself). I do think someone knowing your plan and routine is important and it's a good thing this roommate was immediately alarmed. There could have been a lunch plan or even walking to class together or something like that and when she didn't return, it was not only she didn't return, but not she is missing a preplanned meeting with that person.

Yes, I agree that it is probable that this person is a student. Clearly anyone can rent an apartment most anywhere, but that part of town is heavily populated with students. As a former UGA student and Athens adult now, most non-students would choose to live elsewhere.

I was wondering if also there was a homeless person living in the woods there.

Didn't that happen to that female collegiate golfer in the midewest a few years ago?

She got attacked and killed by a homeless person who lived around the lake she was eventually found at.

I agree! I think girls specifically are getting better about sharing their locations or at least telling someone where they are going to be. There have been many girls go missing on runs and even when it feels safe, it just is a risk a female takes when running alone (I am not saying it's wrong to do so, I almost always run alone myself). I do think someone knowing your plan and routine is important and it's a good thing this roommate was immediately alarmed. There could have been a lunch plan or even walking to class together or something like that and when she didn't return, it was not only she didn't return, but not she is missing a preplanned meeting with that person.

Running on an isolate trail alone seems to be the combination that these predators are looking for. there is a large wildness trail there.

Editor’s Note: This is a developing story. The Red & Black will continue to report as we find out more information. For previous reporting on this story, please visit Developing.

Update at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 23

University of Georgia police have identified and are questioning a person of interest relating to the homicide of 22-year-old Laken Riley, according to UGA spokesperson Greg Trevor. Trevor made the statement at an apartment complex off South Milledge Avenue less than two miles from where Riley’s body was found.

Officers were seen searching dumpsters in the area as well.

Running on an isolate trail alone seems to be the combination that these predators are looking for. there is a large wildness trail there.
Something else to consider is she likely felt very safe. They have said there hasn't been a murder on campus in 20 years.. so for 20 years people have safely walked and ran on those trails and on that campus and there has been no reason to think yesterday would be any different. I think most of us can get a false sense of safety when a place has always been safe. She should have been safe on that trail. :(

1708717267312.jpeg
Laken Hope Riley attended UGA before studying nursing at Augusta University.

I just have to say, as a female runner, I AM SO SICK OF RUNNERS BEING TARGETED... and also sick of the fear that we have to feel just to go out and get some exercise. This is so unacceptable and frustrating!!

Also, I can't help to think about Rachel Morin. Wasn't she also bludgeoned? He traveled from CA to MD if I remember correctly... GA is not that far at all in comparison.

Praying for her family and the whole community... and hoping for justice. (Is there every REALLY justice in these situations though?)

My partner and I were discussing this recent survey just last night:

Even more distressing when we view running/ jogging / cycling as things one does for oneself and often by oneself. To be so vulnerable at such times is so frightening and unfair.

Search for suspect near University of Georgia after 22 year old Laken Riley was murdered.

Police are searching dumpsters not far from where Laken Riley was murdered near the University of Georgia.

Police are questioning a person of interest right now in the University of Georgia murder investigation. Just confirmed.

University of Georgia spokesman just announced they have a person of interest they are questioning right now as part of their investigation into the murder of Laken Riley.

The death “hits a little too close to home,” said Veronica Bennett, the mother of a University of Georgia student. She's part of a group of moms pushing for security improvements on campus that go beyond the school's safety app, WSB-TV reported.

“As a parent, I get tired of that being UGA’s go-to. Oh, we have the safety app. Well, the safety app is not much of a deterrent,” Bennett told the Atlanta TV station.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sofamusic
Back