Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

I was wondering if also there was a homeless person living in the woods there.

Didn't that happen to that female collegiate golfer in the midewest a few years ago?

She got attacked and killed by a homeless person who lived around the lake she was eventually found at.
Definitely a possibility and something that the locals have been chattering about. Athens recently (start of the year) shut down a homeless encampment, so that has added a new dynamic to those who are unhoused.

Definitely a possibility and something that the locals have been chattering about. Athens recently (start of the year) shut down a homeless encampment, so that has added a new dynamic to those who are unhoused.

I guess we will all have to wait to hear more about the person of interest.

to see if they are let go or arrested and see who it is.

My partner and I were discussing this recent survey just last night:

Even more distressing when we view running/ jogging / cycling as things one does for oneself and often by oneself. To be so vulnerable at such times is so frightening and unfair.
I think most women have at some point been harassed in some way either when walking, running, or just out shopping and running errands. Cat calling, hollering, making inappropriate comments, even just being looked up and down or following us around a store or to our cars. I have been in situations that terrified me.. like sick to my stomach and afraid. It isn't okay.. I think it's very likely some men have experienced something scary like this also and that isn't okay either. I am not trying to say it's only women that get harassed, but by far it's women who are abducted, raped, murdered, and left like garbage. We walk to our cars with our keys in our hand, we plan escape routes, we know where exits are, we plan errands around time of day and location so we aren't put in situations where we feel less safe. There are places we don't go alone because we don't feel safe.

I don't know the answer, but I do look for women that might need help when I'm out, I have taught my sons to look for them too. I have taught my daughters to be vigilant, to plan ahead, to go in groups, to listen to their gut if something feels off, to ask someone to walk them out if they are scared, to make noise if they are scared.. it should not be this way.

Police are clearly looking for something out here. They have checked all the bushes and are now searching trash cans across the street.

2:44 PM · Feb 23, 2024

I'm going to guess her phone, watch, air pods, etc or a murder weapon. I wonder if they were able to track her phone and maybe after she was murdered, that person took it or something else that is trackable and that lead them to that apartment complex? I'd say that or maybe a tip that was called in lead them to the complex and that person wouldn't have time to get much further to dump evidence so they believe it's there close by somewhere?

It’s early yet, but I’m fully expecting her body to be a forensic goldmine. Pretty much every similar case I can think of has involved DNA being left on the body. I can’t imagine she was shot (injuries were reported), so that leaves something like stabbing or blunt force trauma; this guy had to get close to her, and I’m sure she would have tried to defend herself.

Skin under the fingernails, and DNA from (possible) sexual assault.

Hopefully witnesses and/or camera footage can help.
I’m thinking possible knife. They’re sure shaking those shrubs and tossing those dumpsters.

Rest in gentle peace, Laken Hope Riley !
My utmost condolences to her loved ones.
So sad to read about this today. Such a pretty girl with a lovely name, so much life yet to live!
It's even more basic: being a woman is the most dangerous activity for women in America.

jmo
I was talking to my guy about this, we were watching a movie about a rape victim and how it changed her life forever. I would say that now most women have safety on their mind frequently, it's a very sad fact.

I sure as heck hope it was one perp, not three! I'm hoping one is the perp and will be arrested and the two others are being questioned either as witnesses or for concealing evidence after the fact. It's awful enough to think of a woman attacked in a "safe" place on campus in daytime, but if three men attacked her, that's a whole 'nother hell.

I'm still leaning toward the perp being a stranger, but we'll find out soon, I hope.

jmo

I sure as heck hope it was one perp, not three! I'm hoping one is the perp and will be arrested and the two others are being questioned either as witnesses or for concealing evidence after the fact. It's awful enough to think of a woman attacked in a "safe" place on campus in daytime, but if three men attacked her, that's a whole 'nother hell.

I'm still leaning toward the perp being a stranger, but we'll find out soon, I hope.

jmo
It is bizarre that three were taken away in handcuffs if just for questioning.

I also would think if it was a boyfriend or ex-boyfriend, police would have questioned him immediately and all of this would have happened yesterday.

Laken Hope Riley

Meanwhile, there was a heavy law enforcement presence on Friday at the Cielo at Azulyk apartment complex, located on South Milledge Avenue and adjacent to the backside of the UGA intramural fields.

11Alive crews were at the scene at the Cielo at Azulyk and Argo Apartment Community Friday, where there was a large police presence. Agents with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the UGA Police Department could be seen processing the scene, including digging through a dumpster near the apartments.

The complex is less than two miles away from where Riley's body was found near the UGA intramural fields.

• Just before noon on Friday, the GBI, Athens-Clarke County police, campus police and other authorities took three people into custody at Cielo Azulyk in the Argo apartment complex off South Milledge Avenue near the university, just south of several trails that lead to where Riley was killed.
  • At around 1 p.m. on Friday, the University of Georgia confirmed they have a person of interest in custody.
  • Shortly before 4 p.m. on Friday, Atlanta News First confirmed the FBI is also assisting in the investigation.

Last edited:
Laken Hope Riley

Meanwhile, there was a heavy law enforcement presence on Friday at the Cielo at Azulyk apartment complex, located on South Milledge Avenue and adjacent to the backside of the UGA intramural fields.

11Alive crews were at the scene at the Cielo at Azulyk and Argo Apartment Community Friday, where there was a large police presence. Agents with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the UGA Police Department could be seen processing the scene, including digging through a dumpster near the apartments.

The complex is less than two miles away from where Riley's body was found near the UGA intramural fields.

• Just before noon on Friday, the GBI, Athens-Clarke County police, campus police and other authorities took three people into custody at Cielo Azulyk in the Argo apartment complex off South Milledge Avenue near the university, just south of several trails that lead to where Riley was killed.
  • At around 1 p.m. on Friday, the University of Georgia confirmed they have a person of interest in custody.
  • Shortly before 4 p.m. on Friday, Atlanta News First confirmed the FBI is also assisting in the investigation.
Glad to see they're taking advantage of every resource at their disposal, to include the FBI.

It is bizarre that three were taken away in handcuffs if just for questioning.

I also would think if it was a boyfriend or ex-boyfriend, police would have questioned him immediately and all of this would have happened yesterday.
When I heard multiple people were arrested, it made me think of this other case.

When the Police narrowed in on the suspect, Cleotha, they arrested his brother at the same time, b/c he had lots of drugs and a gun laying around the apartment. Perhaps this situation is similar?

The reviews for the apartment complex were not very good. I'm leaning towards the thinking that this was not a student, but maybe a local worker and this was a crime of opportunity.

When I heard multiple people were arrested, it made me think of this other case.

When the Police narrowed in on the suspect, Cleotha, they arrested his brother at the same time, b/c he had lots of drugs and a gun laying around the apartment. Perhaps this situation is similar?

The reviews for the apartment complex were not very good. I'm leaning towards the thinking that this was not a student, but maybe a local worker and this was a crime of opportunity.
Oh, Eliza Fletcher - another horrific end to a beautiful life while she was out jogging. When will it end???

Just watched this report. He's emphasized that it's the University of Georgia police that identified a person of interest. Would that mean it's a person related to the University? Seems if would be Athens police otherwise. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kakkilynn
Back