Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

Just watched this report. He's emphasized that it's the University of Georgia police that identified a person of interest. Would that mean it's a person related to the University? Seems if would be Athens police otherwise. JMO
I'm wondering if they have security cameras in this area? It looks like there is other athletic facilities in this area near the trails so maybe there are cameras in that area? If it was the University police that were able to review the cameras and see someone they recognized as a student from campus? Another thought was maybe someone called in a tip or spoke to a university police officer and that lead to a suspect?

Just watched this report. He's emphasized that it's the University of Georgia police that identified a person of interest. Would that mean it's a person related to the University? Seems if would be Athens police otherwise. JMO
UGAPD has jurisdiction over anywhere within 500 yards of any UGA property. In the Athens area, that’s a huge portion of property.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if they have security cameras in this area? It looks like there is other athletic facilities in this area near the trails so maybe there are cameras in that area? If it was the University police that were able to review the cameras and see someone they recognized as a student from campus? Another thought was maybe someone called in a tip or spoke to a university police officer and that lead to a suspect?
I'm thinking the area with trees would not have cameras and the person entered the track area from that direction, not from campus where there might be cameras.

But perhaps video outside his apartment complex might have captured him walking out of the complex and toward campus?

jmo

A suspect in the murder of Laken Riley has been taken into custody by the University of Georgia Police Department. At this time, there are no indications of a continuing threat to the UGA campus related to this matter.

A news conference has been scheduled for 7 p.m. this evening, at which time investigators will be able to provide more details.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the Athens-Clarke County Police Department, and several federal law enforcement agencies have each played roles in the investigation. Detectives are still collecting evidence in the case and urge anyone with relevant information to call the UGA Police Department at 706-542-2200.

A suspect in the murder of Laken Riley has been taken into custody by the University of Georgia Police Department. At this time, there are no indications of a continuing threat to the UGA campus related to this matter.

A news conference has been scheduled for 7 p.m. this evening, at which time investigators will be able to provide more details.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the Athens-Clarke County Police Department, and several federal law enforcement agencies have each played roles in the investigation. Detectives are still collecting evidence in the case and urge anyone with relevant information to call the UGA Police Department at 706-542-2200.
Whew. Rest easy, UGA.

I just looked. It appears she does have a Strava account, but it is private. She only has 1 follower and only follows 1 person. None of her activities would be visible to anyone except that one follower.
Can you tell when the account was made? Sometimes bozos create fake accounts after a crime hits the news. jmo

Have they said if there are outside only or are they inside the suspects apartment? If she often runs on those trails and the suspect lives in those apartments, then I now wonder if this could be a stalker type situation and maybe he's been watching her for a while. I tried pulling the apartments up on google earth and I'm not able to see the set up if any of the units have a back patio or porches that face any of the trails. It looks really close, but I wonder just how close it is and if someone were sitting out back could they see people running or is it too wooded and a person would have to be on the trail or much closer to observe anyone using the trails?

Can you tell when the account was made? Sometimes bozos create fake accounts after a crime hits the news. jmo
Very good point. I can't see anything beyond the profile picture, her name, and the number of followers and number of people she follows. The photo seems like it might be a little older though (as in, she looks a little younger) so it could be an account she doesn't even use anymore. The photo is a selfie she appears to have taken while out exercising and probably not one that a troll would have access to. I'll need to review the posting rules - if I'm allowed to post a screen shot of it, I will. JMO

**Edited to say that I am not allowed to post a screenshot, per Websleuths rules.

Last edited:
Have they said if there are outside only or are they inside the suspects apartment? If she often runs on those trails and the suspect lives in those apartments, then I now wonder if this could be a stalker type situation and maybe he's been watching her for a while. I tried pulling the apartments up on google earth and I'm not able to see the set up if any of the units have a back patio or porches that face any of the trails. It looks really close, but I wonder just how close it is and if someone were sitting out back could they see people running or is it too wooded and a person would have to be on the trail or much closer to observe anyone using the trails?
It could be simply that a predator noticed college women use the track to jog alone, feeling safe to do so. He attacked one when he had the opportunity to get away with it.

Very good point. I can't see anything beyond the profile picture, her name, and the number of followers and number of people she follows. The photo seems like it might be a little older though (as in, she looks a little younger) so it could be an account she doesn't even use anymore. The photo is a selfie she appears to have taken while out exercising and probably not one that a troll would have access to. I'll need to review the posting rules - if I'm allowed to post a screen shot of it, I will. JMO
If it's not current, it's likely not relevant to the case....except it shows running has been an interest of hers for awhile. Infuriating she couldn't do what she loves without being in danger for it.

jmo

“This is a very brazen crime. It sounds like it occurred in broad daylight in a pretty well-traveled area,” Walder said. “And so (authorities) are going to have a large amount of probably forensic data, as well as digital data, to go through.” Federal law enforcement will help local officials streamline that.

Friday, police had set up a mobile command post at an apartment complex just south of the wooded area, with more than a dozen officers present. At one point, officers searched a dumpster at a gas station across the street.

If it's not current, it's likely not relevant to the case....except it shows running has been an interest of hers for awhile. Infuriating she couldn't do what she loves without being in danger for it.

jmo
Her Instagram account has several photos from her running on the cross country team in high school. It seems she's been a runner for a long time, so indeed very sad that she could't even do this activity safely. JMO

I just read the rules and believe I am allowed to post a link to her Instagram account, but no screen shots, etc. Here is the link to that one: Login • Instagram

“This is a very brazen crime. It sounds like it occurred in broad daylight in a pretty well-traveled area,” Walder said. “And so (authorities) are going to have a large amount of probably forensic data, as well as digital data, to go through.” Federal law enforcement will help local officials streamline that.

Friday, police had set up a mobile command post at an apartment complex just south of the wooded area, with more than a dozen officers present. At one point, officers searched a dumpster at a gas station across the street.
It's so jarring that it happened in broad daylight in a place considered safe. I think many students are thinking, "that could be me," and many family members (like me) are thinking, "that could be my relative." It's scary to realize that.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ammereignw
Back