Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

So sad and scary.

I wonder how early she went out running in the morning. I think people have a false sense of security in the morning. From having hiked once by myself in the morning, and from paying attention to local crime, I consider before 9 am (certainly before 8:30 am) to be among the most dangerous hours of the day to be out by yourself. Hiking early evening, even in the dark, has always felt safer. But Rachel Morin, Mollie Tibbets, etc. of course just go to show that there is no safe time.

I think tracking apps also give a false sense of security. They offer no security, just the potential to report something happening earlier. And some people even tell their friends to be on the phone with them while walking alone, even though that actually makes them more of a target.

I try to be conscious of having witnesses, avoiding opportunities, and avoiding someone learning a pattern. But sometimes, all that means is I know when I’m taking a greater risk. One trail I used to hike, I felt safe-ish hiking by myself in the dark, but I tried to keep to a “make sure there are always two separate hikers in sight” rule (the “two” there is critical). The walk to/from my car to that trail was very much not safe, though. Now I hike a trail that doesn’t pass the “two parties always in sight” rule, but the walk to access it is much safer. And I think the nature of the trail itself doesn’t present a great opportunity.

One thing I did buy for hiking by myself is a very loud personal alarm that is activated by just pulling it off your waistband/wherever you clip it to. This is a good reminder for me to start using it consistently. Not sure we can post links to products here, but message me if you want the link.

From presser: video, technology led LE to suspect. Not sure where he is from, but might be Venezuela.

I never understand what citizenship status has to do with anything. Let it come up in the border debates, but a press conference about an arrest should be about justice for the VICTIM of the crime, not politics.

MOO.

So sad and scary.

I wonder how early she went out running in the morning. I think people have a false sense of security in the morning. From having hiked once by myself in the morning, and from paying attention to local crime, I consider before 9 am (certainly before 8:30 am) to be among the most dangerous hours of the day to be out by yourself. Hiking early evening, even in the dark, has always felt safer. But Rachel Morin, Mollie Tibbets, etc. of course just go to show that there is no safe time.

I think tracking apps also give a false sense of security. They offer no security, just the potential to report something happening earlier. And some people even tell their friends to be on the phone with them while walking alone, even though that actually makes them more of a target.

I try to be conscious of having witnesses, avoiding opportunities, and avoiding someone learning a pattern. But sometimes, all that means is I know when I’m taking a greater risk. One trail I used to hike, I felt safe-ish hiking by myself in the dark, but I tried to keep to a “make sure there are always two separate hikers in sight” rule (the “two” there is critical). The walk to/from my car to that trail was very much not safe, though. Now I hike a trail that doesn’t pass the “two parties always in sight” rule, but the walk to access it is much safer. And I think the nature of the trail itself doesn’t present a great opportunity.

One thing I did buy for hiking by myself is a very loud personal alarm that is activated by just pulling it off your waistband/wherever you clip it to. This is a good reminder for me to start using it consistently. Not sure we can post links to products here, but message me if you want the link.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G@$p•
Back