NY - Woman found dead in SoHo hotel room - February 10, 2024

How so?

Unfamiliar with US law so unsure if this is about who has first claim on the suspect or about political gamesmanship in an election year.
It's complicated. While there might be an underlying political agenda, I don't think it's the sole (or even primary) reason Arizona is refusing to extradite this suspect to New York. It basically boils down to each state's bail policies.

In the state of New York, all charges are bailable by law. If the suspect were extradited to NYC, he would be officially charged and a judge would be required to set bail conditions. The suspect may or may not be able to produce the money to bail himself out of jail. But if he were to make bail, he would likely be released under certain restrictive conditions (such as ankle monitoring). But criminals remove such devices to evade authorities all the time.

On the other hand...
In the state of Arizona, bail can be denied for anyone charged with a felony offense and who poses a substantial danger to any other person or the community. As the suspect is currently facing multiple felony charges for stabbing two separate women, his bail will almost certainly be denied.

TL; DR
Essentially, the prosecutor in Arizona is refusing to extradite the suspect to New York because there's a possibility he could be released on bail. She wants to keep him detained in Arizona on the two assault (possibly attempted murder?) charges until he goes to trial and/or pleads guilty to the crimes.

Everything @cujenn81 posted plus he was already out on bail for an offense in FL when he allegedly committed all of the crimes in this thread.

Those records are available through Orange County Florida court records!

I haven't linked anything because, victim friendly. Her story is out there (can't tell what's an MSM link anymore), and I am not sure if we can post the affidavit for arrest warrant.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2024-02-22-16-16-39.png
    Screenshots_2024-02-22-16-16-39.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 14
It's complicated. While there might be an underlying political agenda, I don't think it's the sole (or even primary) reason Arizona is refusing to extradite this suspect to New York. It basically boils down to each state's bail policies.

In the state of New York, all charges are bailable by law. If the suspect were extradited to NYC, he would be officially charged and a judge would be required to set bail conditions. The suspect may or may not be able to produce the money to bail himself out of jail. But if he were to make bail, he would likely be released under certain restrictive conditions (such as ankle monitoring). But criminals remove such devices to evade authorities all the time.

On the other hand...
In the state of Arizona, bail can be denied for anyone charged with a felony offense and who poses a substantial danger to any other person or the community. As the suspect is currently facing multiple felony charges for stabbing two separate women, his bail will almost certainly be denied.

TL; DR
Essentially, the prosecutor in Arizona is refusing to extradite the suspect to New York because there's a possibility he could be released on bail. She wants to keep him detained in Arizona on the two assault (possibly attempted murder?) charges until he goes to trial and/or pleads guilty to the crimes.

So, *law* in NY might lead to him being out on bail. Yet, Rachel Mitchell of AZ said they would not extradite the suspect: "In most homicide cases across the country, it would be a routine extradition. But on Wednesday, an Arizona prosecutor refused, saying she did not believe Alvin L. Bragg, Manhattan’s district attorney, could be trusted to keep him behind bars."

So while the NY state law might be part of the issue, AZ *is* making it political by acting like it's Bragg's fault that NY has those laws. Uh, the Manhattan DA doesn't make NY laws. In this case, it is blatently political gamsmanship and is denying the Oleas-Arancibia family from seeking justice. Imo.

So, *law* in NY might lead to him being out on bail. Yet, Rachel Mitchell of AZ said they would not extradite the suspect: "In most homicide cases across the country, it would be a routine extradition. But on Wednesday, an Arizona prosecutor refused, saying she did not believe Alvin L. Bragg, Manhattan’s district attorney, could be trusted to keep him behind bars."

So while the NY state law might be part of the issue, AZ *is* making it political by acting like it's Bragg's fault that NY has those laws. Uh, the Manhattan DA doesn't make NY laws. In this case, it is blatently political gamsmanship and is denying the Oleas-Arancibia family from seeking justice. Imo.

What about the women in Arizona who were stabbed? Do they not deserve justice?

The refusal to extradite is shameless pandering on the part of the Arizona AG, but - any smart opponent of hers is going to eventually countercommunicate with “why are the good taxpayers of Arizona paying for three squares and a bed for a New York problem?” That will eventually work.

My understanding is that the suspect has to have his case decided in Arizona before being extradited to NY. It's also my understanding that this is a AZ legality. In other words any pending AZ criminal case needs to be completed prior to extradition to any other state. As of yesterday Bragg's office hasn't put in an extradition request.
Essentially though it's up to the two Governors and I have no idea if they have had contact about this matter. MOO

(Article was last updated 3 days ago.)

"The Manhattan District Attorney's Office sent prosecutors to Arizona to work on extradition."

Also:

"The statement said the office is “serious about New Yorkers' safety,” adding that homicides are down 24% since Bragg took office. The spokesperson noted that New York's homicide rate is less than half that of Phoenix's."

and

"Laws passed in New York in 2019, the year before Bragg took office, also restrict the use of bail for misdemeanors and some nonviolent felonies.

Neither the bail laws nor Bragg’s internal policy have any bearing on the treatment of suspects charged with murder."

Leah Palian told NewsNation she is only alive because she convinced Almansoori she cared about him after he nearly choked her to death and sexually assaulted her.

The pair worked together at a restaurant in Orlando, Florida, and she said the attack came after she allowed Almansoori to stay at her home last April. Palian said she convinced him she wouldn’t tell anyone what he did, and they eventually left and went to a nearby 7-Eleven store.

At the store, Palian barricaded herself in the bathroom and called 911. He was charged with aggravated assault but posted bail and was set free.

Palian said Almansoori sent her a text message around the time of Oleas-Arancibia’s death.

“Why did you treat me that way?” the text read, according to Palian. “You should never treat a man like that. I never deserved to be treated that way.”

Palian said Almansoori should never have been released from jail.

“I was so paranoid and so afraid that he was going to be able to track me down and he was going to be able to come and get revenge,” she told NewsNation. “I was so afraid he would track me down and kill me.”

I read earlier in this thread that Manhattan District Attorney's Office sent prosecutors to Arizona to request extradition for the accused which I found interesting as it seems that AZ has an online process for this.
At any rate it appears that if the accused is being held/detained in the asylum state for, in this case the stabbings, then the extradition would happen later or after convicted. Confusing but I'm also reading that it may be up to the AZ governor.

During a press conference in Arizona Wednesday, Maricopa County Attorney Rachel Mitchell said she would not cooperate with any attempt to have Almonsoori extradited to New York, saying, “Having observed the treatment of violent criminals in the New York area by the Manhattan DA there, Alvin Bragg, I think it’s safer to keep him here and keep him in custody.”

“It is deeply disturbing to me that a member of my profession, a member of law enforcement, would choose to play political games in a murder case,” Bragg responded Thursday during a press briefing in his office.

Mitchell also took aim at Bragg Thursday on Fox News, saying, “Even though there’s a homicide in New York, we can guarantee that he is going to stay in custody here.”

Bragg pushed back, telling reporters, “Here in this county, New York County, we routinely seek and get remand, which means the person is in custody.”

There are some serious and crazy details in this article.
Almansoori worked with his FL victim and continued to torment her after the attack. Article states he called her on the day of the NY murder.
“I was begging them,” she said. “I was like, ‘Please keep this man off the streets. If you let him go with a slap on the wrist, I guarantee you he will turn into the next Ted Bundy. He got such a rush from doing this. If he gets away with this, it’s going to further this rush and he’s going to become a serial killer.'”

She described him as odd with poor social skills. But when she learned that he was biking to and from work after his car broke down, Palian offered him a ride home — which became a routine until the assault.

The socially reserved coworker she knew became nasty, aggressive and belligerent after having only “half a glass of wine” and made bizarre and sexist statements calling her “a wh–e” and saying her father didn’t love her, she recounted.

New York Daily News has an article about this case.

"After a dispute over how long he would stay in the hotel room, Almansoori began choking her with his hands and forearms, Jeremy Goebel, a Surprise, Ariz., police detective said Monday.
The attacker tried to snap her neck, turning it from side to side, and hit her in the head with an iron multiple times, he added. Almansoori then tried to suffocate Oleas-Arancibia with a sock and blanket, according to Goebel.
“In his words, ‘She just wouldn’t die,’” said the prosecutor questioning the detective."

A bit more from Raad Almansoori tried again and again to kill sex worker Denisse Oleas-Arancibia: prosecutors (I couldn't read full article on my phone but it's showing up on my computer.)

“Not a single woman on this planet likes me so I was very upset,” he told police, adding that he was addicted to sex and was broken because of it.
Shortly after his arrest, the suspect blabbed to the cops about the murder and attempted killings, going into “graphic detail” about how he took the life of Oleas-Arancibia basically unprompted, according to Goebel.
Almansoori described to Arizona police that he and the victim had met on an online website and arranged a meet-up at the hotel.

Goebel also recounted two terrifying incidents in Arizona. In one, Almansoori allegedly followed an 18-year-old victim into a McDonald’s bathroom, crawled under a stall and pepper sprayed and stabbed her in the neck as she screamed. The victim later described Almansoori as having “evil eyes.”
He’s also accused of stabbing a 22-year-old woman in Phoenix after forcing himself into her car and had a plan to kill his father and stepmother and burn down their house, according to Goebel."

Bravo to AZ. This guy needs to stay behind bars. The NY murder case will get justice at some point but right now the citizens cannot take the risk of having this horrible evil man walking the streets. His poor FL coworker victim deserves to breathe easy knowing he isn't out there free.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back