Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

They both go by Jose? I hope that we find out their real names!

Does anyone know what they use at the border for identifying these people, do they just take the word for the individual or is there proof?

If I am not mistaken, by Spanish naming conventions, the father's surname precedes the mother's one. (E.g., if the father's surname is Gomez and mother's Lopez, the child's surname would be Gomez Lopez). (Now, the naming convention is the opposite in Portugal.) The women usually do not change their maiden names. While great for genealogy, it does create problems at the border. I am thinking of this case. So Jose might be the first name Antonio - the middle one, Ibarra - paternal surname. There should also be a maternal surname that he probably dropped on entering the US. (Or maybe it was Victor? It is a Latin surname and while uncommon, someone might have it.) More likely, Franco is his wife's paternal surname.
Now, a common child, biological or legally adopted, should be Ibarra Franco, so Jose "borrowing" his wife's name is not totally illegal.
I assume at the border, what with the crisis, the patrol goes by the names they are provided.

IMO, this guy is getting way too much attention in the press and even here in these threads. No matter his status, who is family is, he is a low life, a nobody, and we need to expedite the criminal process and lock him away for the remainder of his life. I’m so tired of psychopathic men attacking and murdering women. It is a defect in their evolutionary development.
I don't think the attention is directed to this guy as much as to the circumstances, he's in America illegally, he has a proven track record of crime while living in our country, she's an innocent citizen jogger trying to go about her life, another victim and he's another worthless perp. The scary thing is - he's just one of a number of criminals looking for an opportunity, she's also one of a number of victims in the wrong place at the wrong time. The entire situation is our worst nightmare. JMO

I agree with expediting the process and never give him the time of day!

Immigration and Customs Enforcement confirmed the NYPD arrested Ibarra back in September and charged him with acting in a manner to injure a child less than 17 and a motor vehicle license violation.

Normally, when a person who allegedly enters the US illegally is arrested on criminal charges, ICE lodges a detainer – a request asking local law enforcement to keep the suspect in custody until they can be transferred to ICE and put into deportation proceedings.

"This is an issue that the president can take action on."

— Georgia Gov. Brian Kempnone

In this case, however, ICE's statement said Ibarra was released before a detainer could be issued.

In its statement, ICE said that its Enforcement and Removal Operations office in Atlanta "encountered Ibarra pursuant to his arrest by the University of Georgia Police Department and being charged with murder and other crimes. ERO Atlanta lodged a detainer."

Try him, convict him, and put his butt in prison for life with no parole -- ever. Forget about sending him anywhere other than a jail cell. Period. Grrrrr.
The way things go with someone bent on rape and/or murder, it's essentially gotten to a point where women shouldn't walk, jog, etc., by themselves, and that's a bummer and horribly unfair, but...
Going in broad daylight to class, or any short trip should be okay, but nothing at night or in the woods, etc. JMO.
Way back, when I was in college, I went all over a big campus by myself, day or night -- never had a problem -- and there was never a problem with other students doing the same thing. But not these days, sadly, sadly. Grrrrr.

I guess, the more serious charges should prevail. He is a murderer, and it happened in GA.
That's my impression. I think the detainer would kick in if GA decided to drop the charges & not go to trial (not that that will happen in this case but it sometimes does happen) or if a person served a short sentence for a minor crime. The detainer is supposed to ensure an individual will be kept in custody until the feds can get there. Of course, he can't be deported to Venezuela now anyway.
MOO

Last edited:
Okay so ERO has lodged a detainer. Where does this go from here I wonder? Pursue the pending charges or head into ICE custody and work on deportation?

They better not just deport him. Just passing the problem to somebody else...and then what is stopping him from re-entering the states again? Nothing, there is no control of that issue.

Diego Ibarra, 29, presented the phony card to work in a temporary position as a dishwasher on Feb. 6, the university told the outlet — and after he failed to submit further documentation, was fired.

The university said he was never paid.

Local police had approached Diego Ibarra, who lives in Athens, while he walked down the street because he matched the suspect's description. His brother was arrested the same day.

Wonder who gave description?

Diego Ibarra, 29, presented the phony card to work in a temporary position as a dishwasher on Feb. 6, the university told the outlet — and after he failed to submit further documentation, was fired.

The university said he was never paid.

Local police had approached Diego Ibarra, who lives in Athens, while he walked down the street because he matched the suspect's description. His brother was arrested the same day.

Wonder who gave description?
I believe it may have been video from an area cam that provided the description. JMO

That's my impression. I think the detainer would kick in if GA decided to drop the charges & not go to trial (not that that will happen in this case but it sometimes does happen) or if a person served a short sentence for a minor crime. The detainer is supposed to ensure an individual will be kept in custody until the feds can get there. Of course, he can't be deported to Venezuela now anyway.
MOO
If they deported him at some point, he'd come back. I doubt he's going anywhere but his cell block.

I believe it may have been video from an area cam that provided the description. JMO

yes, LE would have probably immediately canvassed all security cameras available (for the apartment complex and also any university ones surrounding the lake/trail).

They had a relative timeline for when she was there so they probably looked for people entering and exiting.

It was daylight which made A BIG difference in seeing details of those people. I have a 4K video system at home and the level of detail you can zoom into is amazing. Fully expect the videos must have been real good...expecically him reentering the apartment complex.

Ibarra is now in the Athens-Clarkes county case system found here :

athensclarkeclerkofcourt.com/WebCaseSearch/mainpage.aspx

The arrest warrant and determination of bail documents are available.

A few things stand out :
  1. Crime committed between 9am - 1pm
  2. Ibarra is listed at 5'7"
  3. Riley had a skull disfigurement from being struck
  4. Ibarra tried to conceal the body
  5. Ibarra likely lived on the 1st floor of the apartment complex

Last edited:
Ibarra is now in the Athens-Clarkes county case system found here :

athensclarkeclerkofcourt.com/WebCaseSearch/mainpage.aspx

The arrest warrant and determination of bail documents are available.

A few things stand out :
  1. Crime committed between 9am - 1pm
  2. Ibarra is listed at 5'7"
  3. Riley had a skull disfigurement from being struck
  4. Ibarra tried to conceal the body
  5. Ibarra likely lived on the 1st floor of the apartment complex
Interesting. The jail records (available here: Athens-Clarke County, GA - Official Website - Sheriff ) say that he's 5'3, 170 lbs. I'm out of my league here - where do they get the height/weight info from for the arrest warrants? I trust that booking information is more accurate since they're physically present and all.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back