OK - Nex Benedict, 16 year old student died after being beaten in school restroom, Owasso, Feb 8 2024

Owasso Police did, however, release multiple video and audio clips surrounding its investigation into Benedict's death Friday. It's just one of multiple decisions some legal experts are calling unusual.

SFBM - I don’t know if it’s unusual… I mean they released the videos for that teenager charged with allegedly killing her baby at the hospital and hiding the fact she gave birth. MOO

And the backtracking begins.

And they keep using the word "fight", as if it wasn't a physical ambush of 3 on 1.

Words are important. The victim did not cause their own murder. The word "fight" is intentionally used to equally place blame on the victim as well as the three attackers.

On Feb. 16, Oklahoma Watch reporter Jennifer Palmer submitted a public records request to the city of Owasso seeking access to all police reports related to the fight and Benedict’s death. The city denied the reporter’s request, citing the involvement of minors in the incident and the police department’s ongoing investigation.

Days after rejecting Palmer’s request, the Owasso Police Department released some records related to the incident, including a search warrant affidavit, surveillance camera footage from the school, and police body-worn camera video showing an officer’s interaction with Benedict’s family at the hospital.

In a letter sent to Owasso Police Department Captain Shaun Jones on Feb. 26, Reporters Committee Local Legal Initiative Attorney Denver Nicks commended the police department for taking an “important step” toward transparency. However, he wrote that the department’s denial of Palmer’s request for police reports does not comply with the Oklahoma Open Records Act.

The letter pointed out that the Owasso Police Department is required by law to turn over initial incident reports in response to a public records request regardless of the status of any ongoing investigation. Additionally, the letter stated, the law does not permit the police department to withhold all records simply because the incident involves juveniles. Instead, the police department is required under the Open Records Act to release responsive records with exempt information redacted

<modsnip> IMO: an LE officer jumping the gun and claiming that Nex didn't die from head trauma caused by the fight is not surprising.
<modsnip>

Death of nonbinary teen renews scrutiny of anti-trans rhetoric

AP News
https://apnews.com › article › nonbinary-student-death-...

6 days ago — The death of a nonbinary high school student Nex Benedict in Oklahoma has renewed scrutiny of anti-trans polices over gender identity.

Advocates, lawmakers link nonbinary Oklahoma teen's ...

The Hill
https://thehill.com › homenews › lgbtq › 4481797-non...

7 days ago — As the shocking death of a nonbinary Oklahoma high school student reverberates through the LGBTQ community, advocacy groups and state and ...

<modsnip: off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!
What lazy and inept reporting from CBS with no updated correction to boot.

The officer who claimed that NB didn't die from injuries from the fight had to walk it back admitting that he wasn't explicitly told that by the coroner.

Community searching for answers after nonbinary teen ...

CBS News
https://www.cbsnews.com › CBS Evening News

19 hours ago — A preliminary autopsy report said Nex Benedict did not die of injuries from the fight, but the harassment they faced is familiar to LGBTQ+ ...

Benedict’ ‘s untimely death has amassed huge support from the local LGBTQ community and allies in Oklahoma. NBC News reported, Benedict’s name has become a rallying cry nationwide, with advocates around the world drawing attention to the alleged bullying Benedict faced inside school.

Vigils honoring Benedict have happened across the state, click here to see a list of those.

Owasso police provided some clarification to their initial statement saying that Benedict “did not die as a result of trauma,” telling NBC News on Tuesday that the medical examiner’s office did not say it had ruled out the fight as a contributing factor in the 16-year-old’s Feb. 8 death.

Lt. Nick Boatman said that the statement came from “preliminary information” from the medical examiner’s office and did not mean injuries Benedict may have sustained in the fight didn’t cause his death.

“We did not interpret that in any way,” Boatman said of the word “trauma,” which was the word used by the medical examiner’s office.

“People shouldn’t make assumptions either way,” he added.

Benedict’ ‘s untimely death has amassed huge support from the local LGBTQ community and allies in Oklahoma. NBC News reported, Benedict’s name has become a rallying cry nationwide, with advocates around the world drawing attention to the alleged bullying Benedict faced inside school.

Vigils honoring Benedict have happened across the state, click here to see a list of those.

Owasso police provided some clarification to their initial statement saying that Benedict “did not die as a result of trauma,” telling NBC News on Tuesday that the medical examiner’s office did not say it had ruled out the fight as a contributing factor in the 16-year-old’s Feb. 8 death.

Lt. Nick Boatman said that the statement came from “preliminary information” from the medical examiner’s office and did not mean injuries Benedict may have sustained in the fight didn’t cause his death.

“We did not interpret that in any way,” Boatman said of the word “trauma,” which was the word used by the medical examiner’s office.

“People shouldn’t make assumptions either way,” he added.
BBM. National news media is expanding coverage. Organizations requesting an investigation into the OK Dept. of Education and removal of Walters.
JMO

However, an open letter is calling for Walters' immediate removal from office for, the letter claims, "fostering a culture of violence and hate against the 2SLGBTQI+ community in Oklahoma schools." The letter is signed by about 350 local, state, and national organizations, including GLAAD, Human Rights Campaign, Oklahomans for Equality and more.

Sorry I’m just catching up, is it possible that Nex’s death didn’t have to do with the fight at the school the previous day?

There seems to be much vagueness from everyone, I’m starting to wonder if it’s possible that this may be suicide? I still think the other girls should be held responsible if Nex died as a result or in response to the bullying.
I’m not up to speed on this case, but I do remember reading articles that the medical examiner ruled the death was not caused by physical trauma, so I had also wondered about suicide.

I’m not up to speed on this case, but I do remember reading articles that the medical examiner ruled the death was not caused by physical trauma, so I had also wondered about suicide.
BBM for focus:

Respectfully, this was misleading info put out by the Owasso PD and it is not correct.

On February 21, an LGBTQ+ advocacy group, Human Rights Campaign, filed a complaint requesting that federal education officials investigate “the circumstances leading to the death of Nex Benedict,” and alleged a “failure of Owasso High School to address documented instances of bullying, violence, and harassment.”

In a letter to the Human Rights Campaign, the Department of Education said it will be investigating whether Owasso Public Schools complied with Title IX sex-based discrimination protections and Title II disability discrimination protections when investigating allegations of harassment within its schools.

“The district is committed to cooperating with federal officials and believes the complaint submitted by HRC is not supported by the facts and is without merit,” said Owasso Public Schools spokesperson Brock Crawford in a statement on Friday.

Was looking and hoping to find an update on any of the related investigations. No luck there, but I did come across this nice article written by a trans man reflecting on Nex’s gender expression and experience: A Trans Teen Died After Being Bullied. This Is Why I Can’t Look Away.
It is something I’ve been thinking about a lot; young people are learning and figuring out their identities, and that would include gender identity….It can be confusing to try and be respectful to what kids express while still acknowledging that that isn’t fixed and they need the space to change. I appreciated the author’s perspective here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back