MI MI - Michelle Wells, 13, Detroit, January 1, 1982

Murkywaters

Reaction score
Original

Missing Person Case

Last seen leaving residence she was visiting.

Demographics
Missing Age: 13 Years
Current Age: 50 Years
First Name: Michelle
Last Name: Wells

Sex: Female
Race / Ethnicity: American Indian / Alaska Native, White / Caucasian
Height: 5' 0" - 5' 5" (60 - 65 Inches)
Weight: 100 - 200 lbs

Physical Description
Hair Color: Red/Auburn

I don't recall ever hearing about this missing child- there's so little information. (And the range of height- and especially weight- makes me wonder if parents are deceased and there's just not anyone who knew this child when she was 13 to get information from?) I wonder if she really went missing on Jan 1st, or if that's just a best guess?

I don't recall ever hearing about this missing child- there's so little information. (And the range of height- and especially weight- makes me wonder if parents are deceased and there's just not anyone who knew this child when she was 13 to get information from?) I wonder if she really went missing on Jan 1st, or if that's just a best guess?

Michelle was just added NamUs last month. I think the last known date of contact is probably an estimate.

Doesn’t look like her hair is red to me.

In 1982 (less so now) it would have been rare for a girl of that age and height to weight 200 pounds. I’m sure she was much closer to 100 pounds.

Does anyone think she could be a victim of Arthur Ream?

I was scrolling through some newspapers and yearbooks to see if any other Wells showed up in the area that might be a sibling.

There is a Michelle Wells listed as an 8th grade honor student at Romulus North Junior High in Jan. 1980, but this would make her missing age incorrect; this Michelle would have been at least 15 in 1982, barring the unlikely probability she had skipped a few grades.

Interestingly, there is a male Wells who attended Lincoln Park High (closer to the river/downtown than Romulus); his sophomore class photo from 1986 caught my attention because he is wearing a very similar necklace to Michelle's, and I don't see many other male students with necklaces, let alone a button or puka shell type necklace.

Does anyone know her full name? I just can't shake the feeling that the missing date may be incorrect by a substantial degree of days or even years. Jan. 1, 1982 was an extremely cold day and there's no mention of her in any press that I can find. The latter part is odd, considering how much the local area was concerned with child/teen disappearances at the time.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the DPD records on Michelle have been lost or destroyed, but maybe @Nina Michigan might know more? If there's anyone who could get the ball rolling, it would be her and her first-class podcast.

Michelle is featured this week on the Charley Project homepage.

I wish there was more information available. Does she still have relatives missing her?

My question would be whose residence was she visiting, why, and what were the circumstances? Was it a suspected stranger abduction?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abcdowpp1
Back