PA - Rebekah Byler, 23, mother & six months pregnant, murdered, Crawford County, 26 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

SC's Facebook page, linked earlier here, includes this statement on his bio...

His Facebook bio reads: 'I'm someone's worst nightmare if they mess with me and mine'.

Sounds like a man with a lot of pent up rage, doesn't it? And it seems like his pent up rage was released on someone he felt messed with "his", an innocent, peace-loving young woman. Clearly, someone was her worst nightmare. JMO

This case should be a slam dunk. JMO
This is the time I wish I could believe in hell, this guy certainly deserves it

The state police document said the search of the house where Rebekah A. Byler was killed on Feb. 26 produced the broken orange handle of a knife, a broken knife blade and a bone-handled knife. Investigators also took a white bonnet and the contents of an ash tray, trash can and dust bin.

It’s unclear from the search inventory if any of the items taken belonged to Cranston or were used in the killing, which police have said involved “shooting her in the head and/or slashing her throat.” They include a .22-caliber rifle, two shotguns and a variety of ammunition. Investigators also recovered a .22-caliber cartridge case and a 6.5 Creedmoor casing, both discharged.

And in court documents made public on Tuesday, investigators said they hauled away at least three firearms, a discharged .22-caliber cartridge case, a 6.5 Creedmoor casing, a partially smoked cigarette, a white bonet and a empty Mountain Dew bottle, among other items discovered in the victim's home

The state police document said the search of the house where Rebekah A. Byler was killed on Feb. 26 produced the broken orange handle of a knife, a broken knife blade and a bone-handled knife. Investigators also took a white bonnet and the contents of an ash tray, trash can and dust bin.

It’s unclear from the search inventory if any of the items taken belonged to Cranston or were used in the killing, which police have said involved “shooting her in the head and/or slashing her throat.” They include a .22-caliber rifle, two shotguns and a variety of ammunition. Investigators also recovered a .22-caliber cartridge case and a 6.5 Creedmoor casing, both discharged.

And in court documents made public on Tuesday, investigators said they hauled away at least three firearms, a discharged .22-caliber cartridge case, a 6.5 Creedmoor casing, a partially smoked cigarette, a white bonet and a empty Mountain Dew bottle, among other items discovered in the victim's home
What the heck happened here??

Are we sure THIS family isn't the one rumored to have adopted/fostered one of the murderer's grandkids? (speculation, rumor, in my opinion, just a theory)

What the heck happened here??

Are we sure THIS family isn't the one rumored to have adopted/fostered one of the murderer's grandkids? (speculation, rumor, in my opinion, just a theory)

Many Amish homes have firearms. Some communities grow tobacco and some men smoke cigarettes.

Examples:

I'm sure LE would haul away anything that the husband knew did not belong to them.
I'm sure LE would haul away anything that the husband knew did not belong to them.
The family isn't the ones that adopted his grandson, that family had moved and the bylers moved in. I have been to that house many times when the family that adopted the grandson lived there. In my opinion Cranston should be upset with his child on why his grandson had to be adopted out. He should be happy the child will be taken care of.

The family isn't the ones that adopted his grandson, that family had moved and the bylers moved in. I have been to that house many times when the family that adopted the grandson lived there. In my opinion Cranston should be upset with his child on why his grandson had to be adopted out. He should be happy the child will be taken care of.
From what I know, Cranston’s child is a son, correct? If I’m right, where is the biological mother?

From what I know, Cranston’s child is a son, correct? If I’m right, where is the biological mother?
Idk anything about Cranston children and from what I know the amish didn't know him. Cranston evidently didn't know who adopted his grandchild or he'd of known it was the wrong person. Cranston has serious problems. His child is the one whom he should of been upset with, lots of parents think their children do nothing wrong even tho they see the problems in front of them.

The 32 items listed on the inventory include a broken orange knife handle and a broken knife blade; muzzleloader projectile; a discharged "F" .22-caliber LR cartridge case; a discharged 6.5 Creedmoor casing; a bone-handled knife; and an Outdoor Edge knife sheath.

Also listed as seized on the inventory were a Henry Repeating Arms rifle; a Break Action shotgun; a Forehand Arms Co. shotgun; and a variety of ammunition, including undischarged .22LR and 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition.

State police also seized a partially smoked cigarette and an ashtray and its contents; a black hair of unknown origin; an empty Mountain Dew bottle; and a hand towel, paper towels, trash can contents, candy referred to as gummies and a white bonnet.

I assume the weapons taken from the residence do belong to the family. I do not find it odd at all that firearms would be kept and used for hunting.

If the killer brought a weapon with him, and used it to kill the victim, as I assume was the case, he surely would not have left it at the home, (yes, I know about the knife sheath left behind in the Idaho murders), but this information leaves me wondering if perhaps he used one of the weapons that belonged to the family. Is it possible that, in fear, Rebekah reached for a weapon, to frighten him away, and he took it from her and used it to kill her? OR even just that he saw one at the residence and was able to grab it and use it. If so, DNA will put the gun in the killer's hands.

I also wonder about the Mountain Dew bottle left behind. If it was brought by the killer, it should have a wealth of DNA on it. JMO

Last edited:
Idk anything about Cranston children and from what I know the amish didn't know him. Cranston evidently didn't know who adopted his grandchild or he'd of known it was the wrong person. Cranston has serious problems. His child is the one whom he should of been upset with, lots of parents think their children do nothing wrong even tho they see the problems in front of them.
Welcome to WS, and thank you for your valuable local insight! As someone who knew the former homeowners, and someone who has been inside the home, you may wish to check with a moderator, and see if you should get qualified as a verified insider. If deemed that you should, that would allow you to post things without links to mainstream media sources that you may not be able to without.

Cranston's cousin, Rebekah Cranston of Erie, said Tuesday that Cranston was a native of the Corry area and had worked as a truck driver. She said she had fallen out of touch with him in recent years and that many of his relatives knew nothing about the allegations.

“We’re just in shock and sending out prayers for the victim,” she said.

Shawn Cranston’s next-door neighbor, Chris Knight, said he was a “respectful” neighbor who often rode motorcycles. His wife is a nurse, she said.

Knight said that in recent months Cranston's pickup truck was no longer parked at the home. The Cranstons seemed to be down to one vehicle, she said, a red Jeep.

“It seemed like he’s been home a lot but I don’t know what that situation is,” Knight said.

*Hello. We hope you’ll apply ASAP. Your viewpoint is so welcome.

I assume the weapons taken from the residence do belong to the family. I do not find it odd at all that firearms would be kept and used for hunting.

If the killer brought a weapon with him, and used it to kill the victim, as I assume was the case, he surely would not have left it at the home, (yes, I know about the knife sheath left behind in the Idaho murders), but this information leaves me wondering if perhaps he used one of the weapons that belonged to the family. Is it possible that, in fear, Rebekah reached for a weapon, to frighten him away, and he took it from her and used it to kill her? OR even just that he saw one at the residence and was able to grab it and use it. If so, DNA will put the gun in the killer's hands.

I also wonder about the Mountain Dew bottle left behind. If it was brought by the killer, it should have a wealth of DNA on it. JMO
The list of seized items is very interesting. I was particularly interested in the muzzleloader projectile. I don't know much about firearms, never owned any, never shot any, so I'm wondering what kind of wound does a muzzleloader projectile make? I looked up some information and I know there are three types of projectiles but that didn't really help me understand what a wound from the different ones would make. I'm trying to figure out whether a gun SC shot caused the "scalping type wound" to her head or whether he actually scalped a piece of her scalp especially given there was a broken orange knife handle and broken blade. IMO, that didn't happen by lacerating her neck. I am beginning to think that there was more than one gunshot fired that may or may not have hit Rebekah.

Also, the partially smoked cigarette and mountain dew bottle suggest that he may have been there a bit of time, say half an hour talking to her. It doesn't seem like he simply walked in, shot her in the head and then cut her throat. This is looking more and more gruesome and like SC may have had some kind of psychotic break. Such a horrible, horrible tragedy. I hope Andy Byler and the two toddlers as being well supported and taken care of. My heart goes out to them.

The list of seized items is very interesting. I was particularly interested in the muzzleloader projectile. I don't know much about firearms, never owned any, never shot any, so I'm wondering what kind of wound does a muzzleloader projectile make? I looked up some information and I know there are three types of projectiles but that didn't really help me understand what a wound from the different ones would make. I'm trying to figure out whether a gun SC shot caused the "scalping type wound" to her head or whether he actually scalped a piece of her scalp especially given there was a broken orange knife handle and broken blade. IMO, that didn't happen by lacerating her neck. I am beginning to think that there was more than one gunshot fired that may or may not have hit Rebekah.

Also, the partially smoked cigarette and mountain dew bottle suggest that he may have been there a bit of time, say half an hour talking to her. It doesn't seem like he simply walked in, shot her in the head and then cut her throat. This is looking more and more gruesome and like SC may have had some kind of psychotic break. Such a horrible, horrible tragedy. I hope Andy Byler and the two toddlers as being well supported and taken care of. My heart goes out to them.
BBM. I agree. The psychotic break theory seems the most likely scenario to me, from what we know so far. Or high on a type of drug that would tend to make someone paranoid and violent, meth for ex.

Also, the neighbor reported SC seemed to be home a lot lately and that there was only the red Jeep at the residence, whereas before there had been an additional vehicle. Perhaps his life was kinda falling apart and he'd recently lost his job and maybe even his wife, contributing to a psychotic, homicidal break or him deciding to go on a dangerous drug spree. I'd lean more toward psychotic break because I'd think a 50-something year old who was into meth or similar would likely have some kind of police record for drugs, but who knows. It's hard to make sense out of insanity.

All MOO

Last edited:
In total, 154 items were removed from the residence by search warrant in the aftermath of the homicide, including fingerprints, DNA swabs, partially smoked cigarettes and unknown black hair.

Investigators also removed a Northwest Savings Bank bag with a checkbook and transaction book, a white bonnet, a hand towel, a picture frame, an empty Mountain Dew bottle, candy, paper towels and white plastic

In total, 154 items were removed from the residence by search warrant in the aftermath of the homicide, including fingerprints, DNA swabs, partially smoked cigarettes and unknown black hair.

Investigators also removed a Northwest Savings Bank bag with a checkbook and transaction book, a white bonnet, a hand towel, a picture frame, an empty Mountain Dew bottle, candy, paper towels and white plastic

Thanks for the link to The Corry Journal. They had a nice article saying they are committed to publishing facts, not hearsay, especially in the case of Rebekah Byler.

The Corry Journal prides itself on publishing only the facts in regards to all news stories, such as the recent murder of Rebekah A. Byler of Spartansburg.

In keeping with that standard, and out of respect for the Byler family, The Journal has not and will not engage in publishing hearsay or gossip.

[snip]

We, at The Journal, are less concerned with being “first” in breaking news than being factual. Family and friends of Rebekah A. Byler can be negatively affected by hearsay and gossip, especially when published as unconfirmed fact, without regard to the impact of misinformation.

[snip]

We will publish updates as they are released from official sources. Please continue to follow this developing story at www.thecorryjournal.com and on our Facebook page.

Yes, how long was SC in the Byler home? Was he in there smoking, having a drink, touching stuff? We saw all the wash on the line, which would have been put up Monday morning. Was SC creeping the house while RB was out hanging laundry?
Some of these items could be just to rule out anyone else. If they didn't collect all these things that someone could have touched or left DNA on, then they would be questioned on why they didn't examine them. If not other DNA is found that is just as telling as if there is DNA. These items could belong to the family or the killer, but if they test these items and only find DNA and fingerprints of the family and the arrested individual, then that helps to rule out anyone else being there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bikerman Chief
Back