LA LA - James Thomas Wiggins, 21, Ruston, 21 Dec 2002

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Original

James Thomas Wiggins
  • Missing Since 12/21/2002
  • Missing From Ruston, Louisiana
  • Classification Missing
  • Date of Birth 08/23/1981 (38)
  • Age 21 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2, 165 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Jeans, a red flannel jacket, a baseball cap and sneakers. Carrying an umbrella.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Wiggins has caps on his front upper teeth. He has surgical scars on his right forearm and his abdomen and scars on his left ear, the inside of his left bicep, and the upper left side of his chest. His hair is curly.
Details of Disappearance
Wiggins was last seen in the early morning hours of December 21, 2002 at a grocery store in the vicinity of the 12100 block of Highway 146 in Ruston, Louisiana. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.
Investigating Agency
  • Ruston City Police Department 318-255-4141
James Thomas Wiggins – The Charley Project

NAMUS: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Additional info listed on this Facebook page:

<<A week before James went missing he had a mental evaluation where the doctor believed James may have been schizophrenic. The doctor wanted to evaluate him further at another session to confirm the diagnosis. James refused and a week later he vanished.

James sister worked at a Family Dollar store which closed down in 2019. Three weeks after the closure of the store, another Family Dollar 14 miles away, recieved a phone call from a man asking for James's sister. The caller claimed to be her brother and said he was in the hospital.

That phone call came in between July 1st and July 2nd of 2019. The store had caller ID and gave the number and information to James's sister. The police investigated the call and confirmed it came from Northlake Behavioral Health System where they service in and out patients. Northlake told police no one by James Wiggins was a patient there. Northlake is located in Mandeville, Louisiana, just 4 1/2 hours from where James disappeared from in 2002.

James's family misses James so much. They discribed him as good and very quiet boy who liked to play video games. They are crying out for your help, but they feel like no one is listening. They believe James is still alive and want to find him >>

James' sister Kelcie has started a to be able to put up a billboard in Ruston. Search for Let's Find James Wiggins.

Last edited:
I'm catching up on old episodes of The Vanished podcast and just came across James's story. I feel so terrible for his poor sister, and that his mom passed away never knowing what happened to her son.

The rumor about James having been killed because of dating some woman didn't ring true to me at all. He was such a recluse, lived with his family and worked with his brother, then spent all of his time isolated in his room with his video games, I think his family would have noticed if he suddenly had a girlfriend he was talking to on the phone and going out on dates with. I would personally discount that rumor completely.

But the call that came in to the Dollar General looking for his sister Kelcie and claiming to be James, leaving the number for the Northlake Behavioral Health hospital in Mandeville, Louisiana, I feel has to have been a real attempt from James to reach his family. His case got almost no media attention whatsoever, so if it were just a prankster, I can't imagine they would know that Kelcie had been working at the Dollar General when James went missing. Nor would a random prankster 17 years later think it likely that they would have any luck getting a message to her by calling a different dollar store 14 miles away because the one where she worked had closed down. Thank goodness for small towns since one of her friends was working there and got the message to her, otherwise they would have just chalked it up to a wrong number and the family would never have known anything about it.

It's unfortunate that the behavioral health hospital couldn't give out any information because of HIPAA regulations, but I would bet money that he was there in that hospital and it was him calling. All they could say was that there was no patient there by the name James Wiggins, but if he really did have schizophrenia, I think there's a distinct possibility he might not even know his name. Or he may have started calling himself something else in the 17 years that had passed since he vanished. He has likely been living among the homeless for most of that time, I would imagine.

I'm going to see if I can access any news articles or police blotter information for the area in the time immediately preceding that phone call. He might have been involuntarily committed again after having some kind of crisis in public or something else that caused the police to be called. I'll also see if there are any organizations in the area that do homeless outreach and see if they can take a look at his missing poster and maybe even share it around. It would be nice if there were an age progression photo, though. He looks like a little boy in his missing photo and he's sure to have changed quite a lot over the years.

Really hopeful James can be reunited with his family if he wants to be. It's a rare cold case that makes me think the missing person is still alive out there somewhere, but I really do think James is still with us.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kakkilynn
Back