4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us aren't experts but we can surely give our opinions and I respect yours!

All the shenanigans when defendants don't have a real defense--- It kinda makes me sick and we see it all the time in high profile cases- it is ugly, but for me, it only serves to make the defendant look more guilty!

Yep, when you've got nothing, then you go for hail marys and long shots.

IMO, when it comes to corroborating BK's alibi with camera footage:
The prosecution has all the relevant footage from the Moscow area security cameras. They began gathering this immediately after the murders, so the footage was fresh and still available.
BK was arrested almost two months after the murders: if his lawyers were to start requesting security camera footage from elsewhere in January, said footage would probably no longer be available. As I understand it, security cameras don't store footage for months on end, but delete and/or record over previous footage.
From that perspective, it makes sense that even if there ever existed footage that showed BK's car in say, Colfax or Palouse that night, it would have been deleted before the defense could request it two months later. This explains why they have to rely on the footage the prosecution has, and of course on CAST data.

It's not just that he has no one to verify where he was. It's that he's not on camera anywhere that would prove he isn't the murderer. Even if he drove into an area that didn't have cameras, there should be a camera somewhere on the way there or way back that captured him on video.
I can't remember exactly how long it was from the time of the murders to the time BK was arrested, but I'm guessing the defense will say that camera footage that would have proved him elsewhere would have been overwritten by then.

My security system stores footage for two weeks and then it's overwritten but I think other systems, especially some business systems, might store it for a month or two.

IMHO, the defense will say that BK would have appeared on several cameras but that footage is no longer available. MOO

I can't remember exactly how long it was from the time of the murders to the time BK was arrested, but I'm guessing the defense will say that camera footage that would have proved him elsewhere would have been overwritten by then.

My security system stores footage for two weeks and then it's overwritten but I think other systems, especially some business systems, might store it for a month or two.

IMHO, the defense will say that BK would have appeared on several cameras but that footage is no longer available. MOO

I think many of these DOT systems store to the cloud now with (almost) limitless archiving.

I think many of these DOT systems store to the cloud now with (almost) limitless archiving.
I did a little exploring on some different types of cameras and their storage time.
For Ring cameras, the default for Ring Protect subscribers is 60 days. Subscribers can adjust from it from 1 day up to 180 days. If you don't subscribe to Ring Protect, it's live only.

At intersections, many cams only record if speeding, running a red light, or an accident is detected.
Other DOT cams are live-stream only, for maintenance purposes.
Based on the sources I could find online, most traffic cams that do record keep the footage for a limited time, but this varies greatly from state to state. New York is apparently only 30 days, California is five years. Many states appear to be in the 30-90 day range.
I don't know how long it is in Idaho, the following article is all I could find:

Apparently, Washington State does not retain video footage at all.
"We do not retain or record video footage of the roadway from our network of intersection and freeway cameras. Unfortunately, this means we cannot provide videos on specific dates or times for traffic collisions or other events."
See here:

If these last two are true, it would appear most video footage would have come from private Ring or other security cams, owned by individuals and businesses, including WSU and UofI, rather than DOT.
Can anyone local confirm?

Last edited:
IMO, when it comes to corroborating BK's alibi with camera footage:
The prosecution has all the relevant footage from the Moscow area security cameras. They began gathering this immediately after the murders, so the footage was fresh and still available.
BK was arrested almost two months after the murders: if his lawyers were to start requesting security camera footage from elsewhere in January, said footage would probably no longer be available. As I understand it, security cameras don't store footage for months on end, but delete and/or record over previous footage.
From that perspective, it makes sense that even if there ever existed footage that showed BK's car in say, Colfax or Palouse that night, it would have been deleted before the defense could request it two months later. This explains why they have to rely on the footage the prosecution has, and of course on CAST data.
And by her own admission she hasn't looked at most of it (she mentioned this during the last hearing). Which makes me question her 'absolutely no connections' statement between BK and the victims. Because who else knows what she hasn't looked at.

MOO

I did a little exploring on some different types of cameras and their storage time.
For Ring cameras, the default for Ring Protect subscribers is 60 days. Subscribers can adjust from it from 1 day up to 180 days. If you don't subscribe to Ring Protect, it's live only.

At intersections, many cams only record if speeding, running a red light, or an accident is detected.
Other DOT cams are live-stream only, for maintenance purposes.
Based on the sources I could find online, most traffic cams that do record keep the footage for a limited time, but this varies greatly from state to state. New York is apparently only 30 days, California is five years. Many states appear to be in the 30-90 day range.
I don't know how long it is in Idaho, the following article is all I could find:

Apparently, Washington State does not retain video footage at all.
"We do not retain or record video footage of the roadway from our network of intersection and freeway cameras. Unfortunately, this means we cannot provide videos on specific dates or times for traffic collisions or other events."
See here:

If these last two are true, it would appear most video footage would have come from private Ring or other security cams, owned by individuals and businesses, including WSU and UofI, rather than DOT.
Can anyone local confirm?
I know in my area of Idaho, which isn't close to Moscow, the traffic light footage is supposedly kept for 30 days.

I was told that by a detective investigating a crime against me at an intersection. The driver in a car ahead of me shined a green laser light directly in my eyes.

I made the report the morning after the incident and the detective was able to view it on the traffic light camera. No charges were brought though because the actual owner/driver said someone had stolen their car that day and although I had a complete description of the driver which matched the owner no charges were filed because the driver was unidentifiable in the footage.

I'm still on the lookout for that crazy woman.

I hope he's aware enough to know that he had a 0.0000000000000001% chance (MOO) at that being decided in his favor. Otherwise, he's mighty disappointed right now.
Of course the Supreme Court denied their absurd, frivolous, ridiculous appeal- such a ridiculous appeal makes them look sooooo desperate and not very smart.

Denied. To no one's ;) surprise. moo

@MorganRomeroTV

JUST IN: Idaho Supreme Court DENIES Bryan Kohberger's motion for permission to appeal from interlocutory orders. Based on district court filings & comments in recent hearings, Kohberger wanted to the supreme court to step in & throw out the grand jury indictment against him.

1710294308838.png

5:33 PM · Mar 12, 2024

I wonder what implications this situation may affect the reliability of DNA evidence in cases. I know that if a case was relying on DNA to establish that the accused was in the victim's house, bringing up the fact that DNA evidence could be completely corrupted would affect my opinion as a juror.

In the OJ Simpson case, the defense kept up the implication that any DNA evidence which established that OJ Simpson was at the scene of the crime, was considered "planted" evidence. Which is one reason why I believe that the jury was not convinced that OJ Simpson was guilty of killing Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman.

Of course the Supreme Court denied their absurd, frivolous, ridiculous appeal- such a ridiculous appeal makes them look sooooo desperate and not very smart.
'fer sure... :rolleyes: ... an' to boot, elucidate me, please, as to the "myriad' sanctions available to His Honor in the case of such carryings-on in the Theatre of Criminal Law*. [sarcmeterpaused].
Nary a cricket chirp? And not to waste one's time looking for any.
Ah! There could possibly be one AFIK: That's if there's a 'CPC', or 'contempt-purging cell' - my nomenclature -accessible in the court basement ... but you will need a spare bailiff to tend to shoelaces, belts/nylons and chamberpots.:eek: {nah... Use a Sheriff Department summer intern.}..
Of course, ironically, such gives the frivolous-motion, malingering scofflaw DC just what was likely sought: Docket and/or Jury Box ZZZZZZZzzzzzz 's. :p
*An 1890 depiction, "Jury Trials"
Gilbert & Sullivan

1710298318225.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads