GUILTY CA - Laci Peterson, 27, pregnant, Modesto, 24 Dec 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get what Scott's former lawyer is saying about possible new DNA evidence.

If they find the DNA of the burglars on some items related to the burglary how does that help Scott? Or if they find some previously unknown persons DNA on these items? That would tie them to the burglary and not Laci's murder.

I think the reporter had it right when she suggested if Laci's DNA is not found then this pretty much ends this inquiry. JMO.
It doesn't. It's the SODDI theory, which jurors in his case soundly rejected. It doesn't set Scott free, so IMO this DNA testing is a waste of resources, time and money better spent elsewhere. They AREN'T going to find Laci's DNA in the van, no matter how hard they look, and no foreign DNA was found on her clothes.

Last edited:
This is starting to appear like what happened IMO to the tragic unsolved death of the young beauty pageant child in Boulder, CO. Tie things up with a trove of touch DNA and other analysis that may not even be relevant. And serve to confuse and conflate the issues. So unfortunate if so, as the crimes were the loss of Lacy and her (their) unborn child. From all that was earlier presented, sure appears that the correct individual is serving time for the crimes. MOO

This is starting to appear like what happened IMO to the tragic unsolved death of the young beauty pageant child in Boulder, CO. Tie things up with a trove of touch DNA and other analysis that may not even be relevant. And serve to confuse and conflate the issues. So unfortunate if so, as the crimes were the loss of Lacy and her (their) unborn child. From all that was earlier presented, sure appears that the correct individual is serving time for the crimes. MOO
Exactly! What seals it for me was Scott telling Amber "this will be my first Christmas without her". If she was only missing, how'd he know that she was dead in advance of Christmas???

His lawyer said in the hearing that they're not on a fishing expedition, but that's what it looks like. They don't appear to know that there's any specific evidence there that will help them, they're just hoping to find some. It's a farfetched reach imo and a waste of their donors' money. I don't get why they're staking their reputation to this dubious cause.
Any publicity is good publicity. I sure had never heard of this outfit before. It's the same as some ambulance chaser taking on a horrendous baby murder case just for publicity.......oh wait......

What exactly is being "tied up" in this case? The Court has granted the request to do additional testing and further investigation into evidence which wasn't handed over to the defense. If the testing doesn't prove anything, then SP will remain in prison.

JMO

So there are two things below which concern me---but are they accurate and verifiable?

1. The supposed tip by an ex reserve officer---claiming to have seen a pregnant woman being abducted by a few men in an old white and tan van---in the same park Laci's dog was seen running around in?

I don't understand is WHY the officer did not report this kidnapping until the 28th of December, saying it happened 3 or 4 days ago. Didn't he report it immediately after seeing some men grabbing a pregnant woman and stuffing her into their van?

2. The supposed confession by DM, saying he was involved in the robbery and the kidnapping? So one of the burglars confessed to the murder? WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/complaintpeterson1-65f0c556aecfe.pdf
4. New Evidence Shows That Laci Was Abducted But Not Killed On December 24, 2002. On December 28, 2002, eyewitness Tom Harshman reported to police that he had just seen a pregnant woman fitting Laci Peterson’s description being pushed into a van earlier that day, just north of La Loma Park. (Exh. 19 [Decl. of Tom Harshman] at ¶¶ 3–11.)

5. Police Failed To Investigate Whether An Incendiary Van Fire, Discovered In The Airport District Early In The Morning On December 25, 2002, Was Related To Laci’s Abduction. A witness told police he had seen the Petersons’ dog in La Loma Park as well as “a bright orange” vehicle that “reminded him of a Cal Trans vehicle,” with “[a] ‘gang banger’ type [H]ispanic male” getting out of the van. (Exh. 2 at ¶¶ 51–54; Exh. 5 at ¶ 81.)
pg. 131...Considering the new evidence presented in this motion, including (1) D.M.’s confession to participating in not only the burglary of the Medina residence, but also the disappearance of Laci Peterson, (2) the public’s widespread knowledge of Mr. Peterson’s whereabouts on December 24, 2002, due to the Modesto Police Department’s decision to publicize that information, (3) Ralston’s review of sonar images and ROV footage and numerous cadaver dog alerts in a location apart from where Mr. Peterson was boating on December 24, 2002, i.e., not around Brooks Island, (4) confirmed sightings of large amounts of crabs feeding in the area of Ralston’s sonar images, consistent with the state of Laci’s remains and particles on the Target bag and duct tape, and (5) Laci’s shredded clothing fitting Ralston’s description of what he saw on the ROV footage when he believed he located a body, the evidence plausibly suggests that someone other than Mr. Peterson is responsible for the deaths of Laci and Conner and depositing their bodies in San Francisco Bay.

No, because I read the filing in its entirety AND the motion was granted.

JMO

No, the judge hasn't ruled on any of the motions. The hearing was to schedule future hearing dates when the motions will be heard. See any of the links posted in this thread.

The state still hasn't filed any replies to the motions so we didn't don't even know whether or how much they will oppose.

So there are two things below which concern me---but are they accurate and verifiable?

1. The supposed tip by an ex reserve officer---claiming to have seen a pregnant woman being abducted by a few men in an old white and tan van---in the same park Laci's dog was seen running around in?

I don't understand is WHY the officer did not report this kidnapping until the 28th of December, saying it happened 3 or 4 days ago. Didn't he report it immediately after seeing some men grabbing a pregnant woman and stuffing her into their van?

2. The supposed confession by DM, saying he was involved in the robbery and the kidnapping? So one of the burglars confessed to the murder? WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/complaintpeterson1-65f0c556aecfe.pdf
4. New Evidence Shows That Laci Was Abducted But Not Killed On December 24, 2002. On December 28, 2002, eyewitness Tom Harshman reported to police that he had just seen a pregnant woman fitting Laci Peterson’s description being pushed into a van earlier that day, just north of La Loma Park. (Exh. 19 [Decl. of Tom Harshman] at ¶¶ 3–11.)

5. Police Failed To Investigate Whether An Incendiary Van Fire, Discovered In The Airport District Early In The Morning On December 25, 2002, Was Related To Laci’s Abduction. A witness told police he had seen the Petersons’ dog in La Loma Park as well as “a bright orange” vehicle that “reminded him of a Cal Trans vehicle,” with “[a] ‘gang banger’ type [H]ispanic male” getting out of the van. (Exh. 2 at ¶¶ 51–54; Exh. 5 at ¶ 81.)
pg. 131...Considering the new evidence presented in this motion, including (1) D.M.’s confession to participating in not only the burglary of the Medina residence, but also the disappearance of Laci Peterson, (2) the public’s widespread knowledge of Mr. Peterson’s whereabouts on December 24, 2002, due to the Modesto Police Department’s decision to publicize that information, (3) Ralston’s review of sonar images and ROV footage and numerous cadaver dog alerts in a location apart from where Mr. Peterson was boating on December 24, 2002, i.e., not around Brooks Island, (4) confirmed sightings of large amounts of crabs feeding in the area of Ralston’s sonar images, consistent with the state of Laci’s remains and particles on the Target bag and duct tape, and (5) Laci’s shredded clothing fitting Ralston’s description of what he saw on the ROV footage when he believed he located a body, the evidence plausibly suggests that someone other than Mr. Peterson is responsible for the deaths of Laci and Conner and depositing their bodies in San Francisco Bay.
I think the info about the LE report from Tom Harshman is convoluted, may have been taken out of context by the media and it wasn't investigated thoroughly by LE.

JMO
From the Motion, pg 57-58.
As with the other eyewitnesses who reported seeing Laci Peterson alive after 10:18 a.m. on December 24, Mr. Harshman’s report was not taken seriously, nor was it investigated, nor did 57 NOTICE OF MOTION AND MOTION FOR DNA TESTING; MEMORANDUM OF POINTS AND AUTHORITIES IN SUPPORT THEREOF 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Mr. Harshman testify at trial.

Counsel for Mr. Peterson met with Mr. Harshman on October 6, 2023, and he confirmed that on December 28, 2002, he and his wife were driving on Scenic Drive and Claus Drive, north of La Loma Park, when he saw a woman he believed was Laci Peterson, who looked like she was in need of some help because there was a man standing by her looking like he was trying to control her. (Exh. 19 at ¶¶ 3–11, Exhs. A–D.) Mr. Harshman stated that the woman he believed was Laci was squatting with her back against a chain link fence, possibly urinating, and he saw her walk to the driver’s side of the van with one of the male subjects she was with while a second male reached out the open driver’s door with his hand and held the female’s hand, pulling her into the van at the driver’s door. (Exh. 19 at ¶ 12, Exh. E.)

It looked to Harshman like the female may have needed assistance, and he thought the male was trying to stay close by her, trying to control her. (Ibid.) After Mr. Harshman called in his report, no one from MPD returned his call, so he went to the Command Post located in La Loma Park and again made a report. (Id. at ¶¶ 6–8.)

Again, no one from MPD reached out to Mr. Harshman during the investigation to interview him about what he reported seeing. Not until Mr. Peterson’s trial was about to begin did Det. Grogan finally contact Mr. Harshman on May 18, 2004, to interview him about his report. (Id. at ¶¶ 12–13.) Det. Grogan did not ask Mr. Harshman if he could identify the man he saw or the van he saw. Instead, Grogan asked Mr. Harshman if the pregnant woman he saw on December 28, 2002, had a dog with her.43 (Id. at ¶ 13, Exh. F.) As with the other eyewitnesses who reported seeing Laci alive after Mr. Peterson left home on December 24, Harshman’s report was not taken seriously, and he did not testify at trial.

As occurred with eyewitness Diane Jackson, the jury only heard about Mr. Harshman’s report through Det. Grogan, who testified about his interview with Mr. Harshman, but he did not explain why Mr. Harshman’s report was not investigated or taken seriously at the time Laci Peterson was missing. (99 RT 18670–18671.) The new exculpatory evidence strongly points to Mr. Peterson’s innocence, including (1) D.M.’s statements that he was involved in Laci Peterson’s murder, which occurred in connection

JMO

I think the info about the LE report from Tom Harshman is convoluted, may have been taken out of context by the media and it wasn't investigated thoroughly by LE.

JMO
From the Motion, pg 57-58.
As with the other eyewitnesses who reported seeing Laci Peterson alive after 10:18 a.m. on December 24, Mr. Harshman’s report was not taken seriously, nor was it investigated, nor did 57 NOTICE OF MOTION AND MOTION FOR DNA TESTING; MEMORANDUM OF POINTS AND AUTHORITIES IN SUPPORT THEREOF 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Mr. Harshman testify at trial.

Counsel for Mr. Peterson met with Mr. Harshman on October 6, 2023, and he confirmed that on December 28, 2002, he and his wife were driving on Scenic Drive and Claus Drive, north of La Loma Park, when he saw a woman he believed was Laci Peterson, who looked like she was in need of some help because there was a man standing by her looking like he was trying to control her. (Exh. 19 at ¶¶ 3–11, Exhs. A–D.) Mr. Harshman stated that the woman he believed was Laci was squatting with her back against a chain link fence, possibly urinating, and he saw her walk to the driver’s side of the van with one of the male subjects she was with while a second male reached out the open driver’s door with his hand and held the female’s hand, pulling her into the van at the driver’s door. (Exh. 19 at ¶ 12, Exh. E.)

It looked to Harshman like the female may have needed assistance, and he thought the male was trying to stay close by her, trying to control her. (Ibid.) After Mr. Harshman called in his report, no one from MPD returned his call, so he went to the Command Post located in La Loma Park and again made a report. (Id. at ¶¶ 6–8.)

Again, no one from MPD reached out to Mr. Harshman during the investigation to interview him about what he reported seeing. Not until Mr. Peterson’s trial was about to begin did Det. Grogan finally contact Mr. Harshman on May 18, 2004, to interview him about his report. (Id. at ¶¶ 12–13.) Det. Grogan did not ask Mr. Harshman if he could identify the man he saw or the van he saw. Instead, Grogan asked Mr. Harshman if the pregnant woman he saw on December 28, 2002, had a dog with her.43 (Id. at ¶ 13, Exh. F.) As with the other eyewitnesses who reported seeing Laci alive after Mr. Peterson left home on December 24, Harshman’s report was not taken seriously, and he did not testify at trial.

As occurred with eyewitness Diane Jackson, the jury only heard about Mr. Harshman’s report through Det. Grogan, who testified about his interview with Mr. Harshman, but he did not explain why Mr. Harshman’s report was not investigated or taken seriously at the time Laci Peterson was missing. (99 RT 18670–18671.) The new exculpatory evidence strongly points to Mr. Peterson’s innocence, including (1) D.M.’s statements that he was involved in Laci Peterson’s murder, which occurred in connection

JMO
The witness reported this supposed kidnapping on Dec 28th. He admitted that he did not report it until AFTER he saw news reports of Lacey being missing.

If he and his wife actually saw a pregnant women being forced into a car on Dec 24th, why didnt they report it AT THE TIME IT HAPPENED?

The witness reported this supposed kidnapping on Dec 28th. He admitted that he did not report it until AFTER he saw news reports of Lacey being missing.

If he and his wife actually saw a pregnant women being forced into a car on Dec 24th, why didnt they report it AT THE TIME IT HAPPENED?
I don't know why the witness reported it when he did, but I also believe the date is in error. If you want to believe he didn't report it at all, then that is on you.

I believe in fair trials. I realize many do not.

JMO

I don't know why the witness reported it when he did, but I also believe the date is in error. If you want to believe he didn't report it at all, then that is on you.

I believe in fair trials. I realize many do not.

JMO
Scott Peterson already had one. Just because some people don't like the result, doesn't mean a trial isn't fair.

The evidence being tested will prove whether Scott is guilty or not.

JMO
No, that's not the way it works. Maybe he would win a new trial, but he won't just be released. The "evidence" to be tested doesn't open his cell door, regardless of what is found by these people. It will have to be presented in court, both sides will have a chance to debate the "evidence" with experts and there will be judgments on whether the "evidence" will even be allowed in court in the first place.

Imo

iirc, they stole some very valuable jewelry including a watch that was later pawned which wasn't investigated.

I fail to see any humor in this case.

JMO
Geragos put the humor into the case, with others. And Peterson's orange 'do was pretty funny too. I see a lot of serious posters here, and once in awhile we do find ourselves on the opposite side of the fence. But that doesn't mean that "many don't believe in fair trials".

These cases are serious abominations, inhumane and involving unhuman perpetrators, imo. The part that is hilarious is the spin put on these murders by people trying to make a buck....or a reputation...with silliness.

Last edited:
No, that's not the way it works. Maybe he would win a new trial, but he won't just be released. The "evidence" to be tested doesn't open his cell door, regardless of what is found by these people. It will have to be presented in court, both sides will have a chance to debate the "evidence" with experts and there will be judgments on whether the "evidence" will even be allowed in court in the first place.

Imo
Good post.

Lets say that all of this stuff gets looked at and the only thing that's found is some unknown persons DNA on the plastic bag found near Laci's remains.

Would that result in a new trial being granted? No. It would mean that some random piece of trash was found on the shore the day Laci was recovered. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal