Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so simple and tragic and even more tragic that some people find the simplicity of the situation hard to comprehend.
SBM for emphasis:
My opinion only, but I think it’s possible that if Riley were found to have been robbed and murdered, there would be someone to blame and to vent anger on. I kind of feel that way myself. If it’s just an accident, it seems worse because more meaningless? It’s not completely rational, but I can relate to a significant degree. MOO

Weren't those the policeman's own footstep sounds ? Must watch again, but I've already watched twice.
When I watch it, I don't hear the noise at the beginning or the end of the video, even when the officer is walking by himself. I see the video move with the officers movements, and to me, the clomping noise matches up with Riley's movement. I watched again and thought maybe it was the officer dusting off his boots, but I the video doesn't seem to move or jerk along. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited:
SBM for emphasis:
My opinion only, but I think it’s possible that if Riley were found to have been robbed and murdered, there would be someone to blame and to vent anger on. I kind of feel that way myself. If it’s just an accident, it seems worse because more meaningless? It’s not completely rational, but I can relate to a significant degree. MOO
I said the same thing when the family friend talked about his friends not being allowed to leave the bar with him, or Riley being roofied. Right or wrong, it’s really common to want to pass the responsibility away from the victim.

That’s one reason why I found those claims to be dubious.

Now we’re at the stage where the family really wants to hold out hope, so they’ll do anything to believe he’s not in the river. I think this is overwhelmingly the case in events like this.

When and if his body is eventually recovered from the river, the first behavior will apply again. Blame will go back to the bar, and a scenario that involves foul play will be where they wind up mentally.

I’ve watched it a few times as well. I think they were Riley’s but am curious what others think.
I watched again, for the 4th time. I still perceive the footsteps to be the cop's. They even continue after Riley has passed by. There's also traffic that went by, which I think would drown out any sound of Riley walking. The cop is wearing the body cam with sound, which enhances the steps.
In any case, doesn't really matter one way or the other I guess.

@MNPDNashville

Shown was Riley's brief exchange of greetings w/ Officer Reginald Young on Gay St., south of the Woodland St. Bridge, on the night of 3/8. Riley did not appear distressed. Officer Young was there on a vehicle burglary call & remained on that portion of Gay St. for 45 min.

1:09 PM · Mar 18, 2024
He didn’t even seem that out of it. Although I think he was.

Around 9:50 p.m., Strain walked by alone. The officer asked how he was doing, and Strain responded, "I’m good, how are you?"

"No video has been discovered that shows Riley away from Gay St after the 9:52 p.m. timeframe," police said Monday.

I said the same thing when the family friend talked about his friends not being allowed to leave the bar with him, or Riley being roofied. Right or wrong, it’s really common to want to pass the responsibility away from the victim.

That’s one reason why I found those claims to be dubious.

Now we’re at the stage where the family really wants to hold out hope, so they’ll do anything to believe he’s not in the river. I think this is overwhelmingly the case in events like this.

When and if his body is eventually recovered from the river, the first behavior will apply again. Blame will go back to the bar, and a scenario that involves foul play will be where they wind up mentally.
Well stated.

Weren't those the policeman's own footstep sounds ? Must watch again, but I've already watched twice.
Those hard foot steps are definitely Riley's. The sounds line up with the way he was walking. He then sees the LE and appears to pull it together to not appear inebriated. It also sounds like he says something else after the cop turns back around to the vehicles, but I can't make it out.

Around 9:50 p.m., Strain walked by alone. The officer asked how he was doing, and Strain responded, "I’m good, how are you?"

"No video has been discovered that shows Riley away from Gay St after the 9:52 p.m. timeframe," police said Monday.
Such a shame that he told the officer he was doing good; here was an opportunity perhaps to receive assistance getting back to the hotel. Even an arrest for public drunken disorderly conduct and a night in jail would be a million times better than what occurred later that night.

Maybe he feared he would get a drunk in public charge?? At this point, it appears as if that could've been the best thing for him. I notice you can hear Riley walking, it's his boots, sounds like clodhoppers or when your feet get all sweaty in your boots and they keep trying to slip off with every step.
Ya’ll are so observant! I didn’t notice that until it was pointed out.

Such a shame that he told the officer he was doing good; here was an opportunity perhaps to receive assistance getting back to the hotel. Even an arrest for public drunken disorderly conduct and a night in jail would be a million times better than what occurred later that night.
Yes......"not doing good, I think I'm lost" would have changed everything.
So many "if onlys" in this tragedy.

I know from my work in national parks and wilderness missing cases that alcohol and water are often lethal mixes. Men in particular are more likely to die/drown while searching for a quiet place to relieve themselves.

Source: Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon, Ghiglieri is the main author.

That is so strange. If he was able to communicate back to the officer, why didn't he ask him for directions to his hotel? Surely he knew by then that he had no idea where he was walking?
This is what I was wondering too. Even if he was intoxicated, he's 22. It's not illegal and there's no real reason to be afraid of the cop. But I also understand the perspective/mentality of not wanting the cop to know you're intoxicated esp for someone that young. I still wish he had asked for directions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant