Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m leaning towards the theory that he encountered someone and either that person had nefarious intention off the jump or there was an altercation or escalation that ended badly.
I agree with you. I think he was rolled and robbed of his cash. In the process, a cash card fell to the ground. Whoever robbed him had enough knowledge to leave his phone and credit cards alone. His phone went with him into the Tennessee River, poor guy. It will all come out eventually. IMO

Imho
His debit card fell out when he pulled out his phone from his pocket.
He may have fumbled his phone and tripped into the river after it.
That seems most likely to me.
It’s still a true miracle that his debit card was found on the river bank.
With his proximity to the water and no more pings I don’t understand
how anyone can rationally think he is not in the water in his own clothes.
It’s ludicrous to think that some homeless guy somehow unbuttoned Riley’s starched
cotton shirt and put it on himself under his own filthy sweatshirt.

I’m not sure hiring a PI would help anyone here as I think the police have done a good job piecing his movements together with the CCTV footage I don’t think a PI would help them get the answers they’re looking for, I think the main working hypothesis for the police is that he fell into the water and this as horrible as it sounds becomes a waiting game until the water gives up the body.

With the police scaling back their search efforts I wonder if there’s something in the background that suggests to them he could have intentionally entered the water IE mental health past issues, google searches. Him leaving his card at the side could have been a ‘sign’ for his family that this was where he entered the water - abit like Gaynor Lord who left her coat at side of the river before entering. All MOO of course.
I agree they've done a good job but I don't understand why they are searching the area west of where his phone stopped pinging. They are assuming that's the location where Riley went into the water and the current would have taken him westward. There may be breaks in camera coverage in the area where we see him interacting with the cop. If that's the only video we have of him, the cop's bodycam, then that whole stretch of sidewalk he was walking on may not have had cameras. Can anyone verify whether cameras pick him up on that stretch before he spoke to the cop?

Last edited:
Understood. The scenario I think more likely is that he was robbed of his cash, and the card fell to the ground in the process. There is really no other reasonable explanation for why his bank card would be on the ground on the bank of the Tennessee River. IMO
I think a far more likely explanation is that he reached in to his pocket for his phone, and his card fell out when he pulled his phone out. This has happened to me on multiple occasions.

A robber is probably going to take the whole wallet, and if Riley wasn’t carrying a wallet, is going to want that debit card.

At that location it would have been hard enough for Riley to have fallen in himself, and much more difficult for a robber to go to the pointless task of then murdering him.

The card tells me this wasn’t foul play.

Do we know how far out the river and embankments have been searched in regards to where his card was found and last ping was? It seems to me that all of the searches have been fairly close to that area without any luck. I'd think at this point if in the river he would have traveled a lot farther along with the rain and current.

MOO but I just dont see any scenario very likely other than him being in the river and most likely from accidentally falling in...I'll even entertain the idea of being pushed into the river but I highly doubt he got in a car that night or is still out there alive at this point and not making contact with anyone. I think it is just a matter of time before he is found in or around the river and with no success around the possible entry location it will probably be further down.

I agree with you. I think he was rolled and robbed of his cash. In the process, a cash card fell to the ground. Whoever robbed him had enough knowledge to leave his phone and credit cards alone. His phone went with him into the Tennessee River, poor guy. It will all come out eventually. IMO
Would he be likely to carry cash, since he had access to cards or presumably apps or things such as PayPal? Just thinking, because I know people who literally haven’t touched physical money in years.

According to the 911 (made by BS's friend named B) caller the shirt was described as "half black & half light brown and his last location was outside around the sheriff’s department, by the river over there."

Keep in mind that didn't it rain a bit that night, light rain? If so, would his shirt be so clean, with the fall(s) he took?

moo

Would he be likely to carry cash, since he had access to cards or presumably apps or things such as PayPal? Just thinking, because I know people who literally haven’t touched physical money in years.
I almost never carry cash, to the point that it’s weird when I actually have it. It’s becoming less common now, especially with younger generations.

Imho
His debit card fell out when he pulled out his phone from his pocket.
He may have fumbled his phone and tripped into the river after it.
That seems most likely to me.
It’s still a true miracle that his debit card was found on the river bank.
With his proximity to the water and no more pings I don’t understand
how anyone can rationally think he is not in the water in his own clothes.
It’s ludicrous to think that some homeless guy somehow unbuttoned Riley’s starched
cotton shirt and put it on himself under his own filthy sweatshirt.
Its almost assured that he and both his devices are in the water.

Both his watch and his phone would have kept reporting his location (on the Find My app) until the batteries went dead.

iPhones also behave like airtags for 24 hrs after they are powered off (unless you shut that off). Anybody walking near him with an iphone (if he were in the brush) would detect the phone and their phone would report his phone's locations to apple.

One scenario: I'm thinking that the supposed "commotion" heard by the couple could have been him falling very clumsily - perhaps as a result of a head injury from his previous falls (aneurism? brain bleed?) - and that someone seeing him deceased, either then or a bit later, rolled him into the water, as the last thing a homeless camp needs is a police presence and questions about why someone was located deceased in their immediate area.

The phone is most likely in the water. IMO if someone were to have stolen his phone, surely whoever they tried to sell it to would have attempted to power it up by now. Once it turns back on it will show up on Find My iPhone (assuming he has it enabled) I’m sure LE/Family are keeping an eye on it.

It has been an awfully long time since RS went missing. I have seen some great theories posted on this thread, some I never really thought of. He seems like a wonderful guy and I hope the family has news soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member