Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood. The scenario I think more likely is that he was robbed of his cash, and the card fell to the ground in the process. There is really no other reasonable explanation for why his bank card would be on the ground on the bank of the Tennessee River. IMO
How much cash did he have on him? If he's like most young people in Canada he probably didn't carry cash. At all. I've seen kids use their debits cards for a soda and a bag of chips. Everything goes on the debit card.

Is there a limit you can set on a debit card in the US? I can set my cards up so if I lose them, whoever finds it can only rack up $100 then you have to use the PIN. And if the purchases are not related to what my spending habits are, I'd get reimbursed by the bank.

I think the most reasonable reason why his card was found on the bank was he was down there already and lost his balance and it fell out of his pocket. I just don't see a confrontation with someone. Almost everything that happened to Riley from the moment he left the bar seems to bolster the probability he's a victim of misfortune and not foul play, IMO.

How much cash did he have on him? If he's like most young people in Canada he probably didn't carry cash. At all. I've seen kids use their debits cards for a soda and a bag of chips. Everything goes on the debit card.

Is there a limit you can set on a debit card in the US? I can set my cards up so if I lose them, whoever finds it can only rack up $100 then you have to use the PIN. And if the purchases are not related to what my spending habits are, I'd get reimbursed by the bank.

I think the most reasonable reason why his card was found on the bank was he was down there already and lost his balance and it fell out of his pocket. I just don't see a confrontation with someone. Almost everything that happened to Riley from the moment he left the bar seems to bolster the probability he's a victim of misfortune and not foul play, IMO.
Except for the homeless guy seen wearing Riley's shirt. There was a post about that on this board a little earlier today.

It is NOT possible to use face recognition to unlock an iphone if eyes are closed, and it doesn't work when I have my super dark sunglasses on... I can't say for others but definitely for an iphone.

But I don't think this happened anyway. They have said his accounts haven't been used.
My iPhone will use face recognition with or without my glasses on, and there’ve been many times I’m not
‘Picture ready’ and I’ve been amazed it worked. Just my iPhone experience.

Of course none of us know what happened to Riley.
My own experience with losing a card is that I was once walking down my block to go to the store and I couldn’t find my credit card in my pocketbook. Then I got a call from my friend Michelle..she found my credit card on the sidewalk.

I am always sober but I’m careless. I must have pulled it out and dropped it and I didn’t realize it at all. Again I’m in NYC and who knows who could’ve picked it up and used it? I’m thankful it was a friend who spotted it.
This makes me believe that in Riley’s case he wouldn’t even realize if he’d dropped his card.

My other experience is that I was financially supporting my 18-year old granddaughter and I had gotten her an apartment, plus I had a bank account for her. She stupidly had a guy over whom she barely knew. He somehow got into her phone and stole $1200 from the bank account which she always transferred to her cash app. She thinks she fell asleep and he used her face recognition, but I thought that doesn’t work if your eyes are closed.

Separately—-I think there’s a lot of cognitive dissonance happening here. Riley was kicked out of the bar. Maybe too drunk or maybe an altercation. BUT the second bar that denied him entry likely didn’t know he’d been kicked out of the previous bar, yet still denied him entry, which implies to me that it was overt intoxication. .

BUT he was able to pull himself together enough for his brief encounter with the police officer. That’s confusing to me as a teetotaler.

Is it just some kind of training or habit to be able to gather your wits enough to act steady in front of a brief encounter with law enforcement? I’m truly asking as I genuinely do not know.

JMO and JME

Last edited:
Of course none of us know what happened to Riley.
My own experience with losing a card is that I was once walking down my block to go to the store and I couldn’t find my credit card in my pocketbook. Then I got a call from my friend Michelle..she found my credit card on the sidewalk.
I am always sober but I’m careless. I must have pulled it out and dropped it and I didn’t realize it at all. Again I’m in NYC and who knows who could’ve picked it up and used it? I’m thankful it was a friend who spotted it.
This makes me believe that in Riley’s case he wouldn’t even realize if he’d dropped his card.
My other experience is that I was financially supporting my 18-year old granddaughter and I had gotten her an apartment, plus I had a bank account for her. She stupidly had a guy over whom she barely knew. He somehow got into her phone and stole $1200 from the bank account. She thinks she fell asleep and he used her face recognition, but I thought that doesn’t work if your eyes are closed.

Separately—-I think there’s a lot of cognitive dissonance happening here. Riley was kicked out of the bar. Maybe too drunk or maybe an altercation. BUT the second bar that denied him entry likely didn’t know he’d been kicked out of the previous bar, yet still denied him entry, which implies to me that it was overt intoxication. .

BUT he was able to pull himself together enough for his brief encounter with the police officer. That’s confusing to me as a teetotaler.

Is it just some kind of training or habit to be able to gather your wits enough to act steady in front of a brief encounter with law enforcement? I’m truly asking as I genuinely do not know.

JMO and JME
I’ve done the same thing when I was about his age, and pretended to be sober when I wasn’t. It is a bit surprising he was able to pull it off while that intoxicated though, as he was fall down drunk just minutes before.

I think that was merely because the interaction was so brief.

Personally I believe his message was Good lol…It’s possible he hit the p instead of the l But this would a normal response asking a person how you’re doing…The GF’s phone and his closest friends that’s received previous messages after asking him how he’s doing would confirm this if this is Riley’s normal response…It’s also possible that’s how his credit card fell on the ground if he reached in his pants pulling out his cell phone.

From my own experience when I was younger, yes. Somehow fear and the desire to appear normal temporarily overrides the inebriated state. I don’t think it would work for a long conversation, though. It just seems to work for a couple of minutes.

Yup, boats, sonar, divers. The issue is the current, which means he could be anywhere.
With the Cumberland River flowing in a west-northwest direction and with several dams, Old Hickory and Cheatham as a couple being downstream, is there any typical search that occurs at Lock and Dam locations when river searches similar to this one have occurred in past cases. I know that when the river reaches certain levels they will open for relief, and when there is debris clogs from trash, logs, trees, sediment etc.., TVA perform clean up as needed. Do we know if the Dams are a place that would get checked in a river search case such as this one?

Riley's footsteps fall silent after speaking to the officer. I think he veered to the right to walk in the grass. When the officer turns around, Riley isn't in sight.

In the Brain Entin interview posted earlier, the family spokesman said Riley texted his last message to his new GF after she texted asking how he was doing and if he was having a good time. Riley texted her: Good lops.

UrbanDictionary tells me that lop means "A big brain way of saying lol"

What do you guys make of this text message?
I'm akin to think it's a mere typo for "Good lols". The P is just up from the L and alcohol was invlolved. It's much more legible than many of my drunk texts or "posting loaded" have been.

Except for the homeless guy seen wearing Riley's shirt. There was a post about that on this board a little earlier today.
I think we need to change this narrative to somebody believes they could have seen somebody wearing a shirt that looked similar to Riley’s.

It hasn’t been proven as fact that this actually happened.

I question the validity of this story as I doubt a homeless person would attack somebody.. steal their shirt and then throw them into the river.. then be going round wearing his shirt knowing the police would likely be searching for him soon - it just doesn’t add up to me.

JMO and JME
snipped for focus
The encounter with the policeman was so very brief. It's possible that Riley had that momentary lucidity to appear normal and in control because of fear or nervousness at seeing a cop. I don't know.

I do know that when one is in crisis, with panic or severe anxiety, one can become briefly focused on dispelling that panic in order to function and take charge...it's happened to me. But of course alcohol intoxication is a different story.

It's possible that after he passed the cop, he went back to being totally scattered again, his brain "relaxing" if you will, back into his previous state.

Now that I think about it, one of the rare times I was drunk, after having had a "contest" with fellow students with a bottle of whiskey (I won, the other guy passed out), while stumbling home, a policeman stopped me. Somehow I pulled it together, and the cop drove me home. Once home I collapsed.

I think we need to change this narrative to somebody believes they could have seen somebody wearing a shirt that looked similar to Riley’s.

It hasn’t been proven as fact that this actually happened.

I question the validity of this story as I doubt a homeless person would attack somebody.. steal their shirt and then throw them into the river.. then be going round wearing his shirt knowing the police would likely be searching for him soon - it just doesn’t add up to me.
All of it requires a massive leap, while the simplest explanation inherently requires none of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E.Layne