Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Really hoping he’s going to be found soon as it’s heartbreaking to see the denial :(

Mr Strain’s parents say they are still ‘hopeful’

The parents of University of Missouri student Riley Strain said they will “continue to search” after more than a week has passed since the college senior vanished.

Mr Strain was last seen on 8 March when he went to Luke’s 32 Bridge Food + Drink bar in Nashville as part of a fraternity trip but was asked to leave the nightspot.

We’re still, you know, actively planning to bring Riley home with us,” Chris Whiteid, Mr Strain’s stepfather told NBC News on 16 March.

This case has been “taxing” due to them “not getting more updates of what’s going on,” Mr Whiteid said. Still, “we continue to search,” added Mr Whiteid.

We’re very hopeful and we’re moving forward as, you know, he’s coming home and we’re graduating in May and life goes on just as normal,” he continued.

Ugh - this is the worst part. I just want it to end so they can have closure and begin their grieving (not that I want them to have to grieve, but the hope is just so toxic for them). I can imagine that I would be the same way, though, without closure.

Wow, thanks for this. Just seems so strange and unlikely to go out of your way alone late at night and hop into some random river. Could see a group of intoxicated people doing this more than one lone individual, but clearly has happened before. Interesting, appreciate the article!
It’s not rare at all, apparently. It confused me so I researched a bit. I posted some links earlier on. Here are some more:

Here’s an article from Estonia which has some pertinent detail:

“Between 2010 and 2014, Estonia had 163 deaths by drowning where the victim had been drinking, 102 of these during summer months. Through the years, the number of drownings rises significantly in the summer months and most cases are caused by the use of alcohol. Despite a good awareness of the dangers of swimming while intoxicated, the use of alcohol inhibits the sense of danger and a person will go into the water to freshen up, swim of to test their abilities. There are also cases of accidentally falling into the water.

Most of these tragedies could have been avoided, had people been keeping an eye on each other and intervened at the right moment.”

One from Wales:

“It only takes a split second for happy hour to end in a nightmare. Figures state that about a quarter of all adult drowning victims have alcohol in their bloodstream. If you’ve had a drink, stay away from the water.” (More at link).

This article discusses multiple studies:

“This Finnish study, for example, looked at 1697 unintentional drownings in victims aged 15 and over. They found that 303 deaths were boating-related and 1394 deaths were non-boating related. In 65% of the boating drownings and 61.8% of the non-boating drownings, the victims tested positive for alcohol.”

“In the US, accidental drowning is the fifth leading cause of unintentional death. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention name alcohol use as a key factor that influences the risk of drowning. “Among adolescents and adults, alcohol use is involved in up to 70% of deaths associated with water recreation, almost a quarter of Emergency Department visits for drowning.”

“Why Do Alcohol and Drugs Increase the Risk of Drowning?​

There are the physical and mental effects of alcohol and drugs – including the impacts on cognitive function and the central nervous system. Alcohol is a depressant, which slows down the body’s processes and reactions. Heavy alcohol users often experience memory loss or ‘blackouts’, for example, when they cannot recall their thoughts or actions whilst intoxicated. Substances can also increase risk-taking behaviours and judgment too, as well as decreasing a person’s ability to survive in water if they become submerged. Drowning also completely prevents people calling for help when they get into trouble.”

“When people are under the influence of alcohol and drugs, however, decision-making processes are often impaired. Whilst intoxicated, some people will decide to take a bath or jump into a pool or even swim in the sea – similar to the way certain people decide to drink-drive, even though they had no intention of doing so when sober. Friends and family can play a role in looking out for one another in these circumstances – but ultimately, they cannot be held responsible for another person’s actions.”

Elements of this case are almost exactly the same as one in Michigan recently. When I saw the headline of drunken out of town college student missing after leaving bar, I instantly wondered if there is a river nearby.

For Brendon Santo police searched for 2 1/2 months, but it took a dedicated private investigator to become zen with the river and figure out Brendon was pinned under a log jam. Maybe the Strain family should call this Ryan Robinson…
PI finds missing college student

Brendan went missing on Halloween and in January the PI was finding pumpkins in a curious spot. Someone send some pumpkins down the river in nashville, see what they do?

Last edited:
Presser Notes:

United Cajun Navy to assist. David Flagg National Director of operations United Cajan Navy. Natural Disaster Response organization. They do search and rescue as well.

Involved since the beginning. Have had an airboat on the river, and people working behind the scenes. Wanted to step in and organize a structure to the search activities. Have a hovercraft coming in today, provided the pilot gets in early enough. Otherwise they'll be out first thing tomorrow.

Airboat will return towards the weekend.

Main focus is to find Riley. Secondary focus is to ensure safety of searchers. Area is treacherous and don't want volunteers to get hurt, so they want any volunteers to fall under their umbrella. Plan to put on an organized ground search in the near future.

Be sensitive to family due to the nature of the incident. Don't ask a question that you wouldn't want to be asked yourself in their situation.

At this point there is no evidence of foul play. The debit card isn't evidence of criminal activity like people are alleging on Facebook and elsewhere. Seriously doubts there's any criminal activity.

Father thinks law enforcement has handled it well, knows they are doing their job, and knows they are doing things they aren't being informed about.

Last edited:
All IMHO:
I think it’s crazy to think that Riley was roofied- when you are roofied you PASS OUT - sometimes very quickly- You don’t walk many blocks with high energy and intent (albeit in the wrong direction)- that’s not how you roll when roofied.
Here are two accounts I know about being “roofied”/ given rohypnol or similar
1) firsthand-a couple of years ago- I was called around 4 am to pick up my niece who was completely passed out. They carried her out of the apartment and down the elevator into my car. I had them go back upstairs to retrieve her purse and shoes. She had been at a bar drinking in a big city - our hometown- with a close female college friend of ours from out of town. They had gone to an apartment with some guys they didn’t really know to keep drinking after the bar closed (obviously beyond stupid)
My niece had the wherewithal to lock herself in the bathroom when she started feeling bad/ drugged. Her friend didn’t drink at the apartment.
The guys kept trying to get her to give them her phone passcode which made her suspicious despite her limited cognitive function at that point. Her friend who was with her called her own boyfriend and luckily they stayed and protected my niece until I picked her up. If they hadn’t stayed there is no telling what would have happened to her. It was a very close call- I can only imagine. Once in my car I contemplated taking my niece to the emergency room but she was breathing normally- just completely passed out. It was not a drunk type of passed out but a deeper more alarming type of unresponsive. I put her in bed and sat next to the bed watching her until she came to (several hours later) and then she told me what had happened.
(an aside is that this was a door man apartment building/ an attendant at the front desk near the elevators overnight) this attendant had a camera system for the halls at his desk and he signaled to me that this was a common occurrence in that particular apartment - which is frightening
2) secondhand- a close friend’s daughter- a few years ago- When her daughter was a senior at a university in Washington, DC she went with her two roommates to a dance club in the Georgetown area.
She went to the bathroom and returned to find her two roommates gone. She knew they wouldn’t ever leave her without saying anything and as she watched them crossing town (on a find my friends app) she called a male friend to come to the club and help her. They took an Uber across town to where the signal was. They banged on the door to the apartment and called police at the same time. Her roommates were in the apartment- both naked and sexually assaulted by a group of men in the apartment. Arrests were made. Had my friend’s daughter not been so proactive- no telling what else would have happened to her two roommates.

Everyone’s nieces and daughters and granddaughters (and sons as well) need to know to NEVER EVER leave a drink unattended at a bar or a party. They also need to hope they have good friends who have your back and don’t leave you if there is danger.
We need to train our young ones to be those good friends
We all have our stories and those are mine!

Understood. The scenario I think more likely is that he was robbed of his cash, and the card fell to the ground in the process. There is really no other reasonable explanation for why his bank card would be on the ground on the bank of the Tennessee River. IMO
I mean, there kind of is at least one other reasonable explanation.

If he was in any bar running a tab, the bar would have given him back his card before he left. He could have stuck it in his pocket, then put his phone in the same pocket. When he takes out the phone, the card could have fallen on the ground.

Of course none of us know what happened to Riley.
My own experience with losing a card is that I was once walking down my block to go to the store and I couldn’t find my credit card in my pocketbook. Then I got a call from my friend Michelle..she found my credit card on the sidewalk.

I am always sober but I’m careless. I must have pulled it out and dropped it and I didn’t realize it at all. Again I’m in NYC and who knows who could’ve picked it up and used it? I’m thankful it was a friend who spotted it.
This makes me believe that in Riley’s case he wouldn’t even realize if he’d dropped his card.

My other experience is that I was financially supporting my 18-year old granddaughter and I had gotten her an apartment, plus I had a bank account for her. She stupidly had a guy over whom she barely knew. He somehow got into her phone and stole $1200 from the bank account which she always transferred to her cash app. She thinks she fell asleep and he used her face recognition, but I thought that doesn’t work if your eyes are closed.

Separately—-I think there’s a lot of cognitive dissonance happening here. Riley was kicked out of the bar. Maybe too drunk or maybe an altercation. BUT the second bar that denied him entry likely didn’t know he’d been kicked out of the previous bar, yet still denied him entry, which implies to me that it was overt intoxication. .

BUT he was able to pull himself together enough for his brief encounter with the police officer. That’s confusing to me as a teetotaler.

Is it just some kind of training or habit to be able to gather your wits enough to act steady in front of a brief encounter with law enforcement? I’m truly asking as I genuinely do not know.

JMO and JME
Honestly, if he was so drunk that he indeed vomited, he probably got some relief and composure.

Ugh - this is the worst part. I just want it to end so they can have closure and begin their grieving (not that I want them to have to grieve, but the hope is just so toxic for them). I can imagine that I would be the same way, though, without closure.
I actually don’t think the hope is toxic for them at all. It gives them time to adjust to a grim reality (if that’s how this is going to end). The hope is crucial to surviving something like this. IMO.

I didn't realize the press conference was still going on, but I caught some more of it. Investigators spoke to the media and answered their questions.

One question pertained to the data they currently have, and it's the same as what they had at the outset. They say they will continue to work this until there is no more actionable intelligence, which there is no shortage of right now. He describes "actionable intelligence" as someone saying they saw someone at a particular time, which allows them to follow up and do things like pull surveillance video. That's opposed to people calling in with theories or suggestions.

I agree the message is "Good lol" the l is so close to the p.
Unfortunately we had a very similar incident in my area called Pat lamb. I hope he hasn't gone in but it seems to be very likely.
Oh. Very similar disappearance. He wasn’t found for a month:

Pat's father Tony Lamb confirmed late last night that the body pulled from the River Medway at Cuxton Marina was that of his son.

Mr Lamb said police had retrieved Pat's phone and wallet and that the family would be issuing a statement on Monday.

The heartbreaking news brings to an end the month-long search for the 28-year-old.

Pat became separated from his friends after having drinks at Bar Chocolate, in Maidstone's Market Buildings during the early hours of December 13.

CCTV cameras picked him up walking down the High Street, near Pudding Lane, and again crossing the road at Fairmeadow.

He was heading towards the River Medway but daily searches and three dives by specially trained police officers did not find him.

From presser but MOO

The women who found the bank card just spoke at presser and they seem very experienced in searching. MOO they gave great tips and a good description of the challenges of the search area.

Serious question from the presser, "they 100% feel confident he is alive"... Do they think he is walking around in a fugue state from falling, do they think he was kidnapped, I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of what possibilities we have for him just wandering for the past 11 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat