Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if he was intending to go to the hotel and went to the bar next door to use the restroom first. Then maybe he thinks he will just have to wait until he gets to the hotel. At some point he could have realized he turned the wrong way and is lost but he still needs to go to the bathroom before he can figure it out. If he saw the river he could have been thinking if just gets near it there will be places where he can discreetly go. Could be why he seemed to straighten up near the police officer, some places you can be arrested for urinating in public. His card could have fallen out too if he did get to the river to go. All IMO!!

The Cajun Navy Relief plan to be out on the water this afternoon or early tomorrow morning.

Riley Strain's family gives update

The family of missing Mizzou student Riley Strain gives an update on the ongoing search in Nashville.

@KCTV5

WATCH LIVE: Family of Riley Strain gives update on search for missing Mizzou student.

Edited: removed a link

Last edited:
That’s a strange headline on that article and I’m confused by it. The Cajun Navy’s main purpose is water searches and rescues. Do they think he’s alive in the water or riverbank after 2 weeks? I don’t see him hiding out somewhere either.

From the article linked-
Riley Strain's family is 100% confident that their loved one is still alive somewhere -- and they're frustrated with cops' search efforts ... demanding extra boots on the ground.

Press conferences like this really don’t help the situation IMO.

I think that local law enforcement have done a great job in this case piecing together CCTV to establish his final movements on that night.. unfortunately and tragically it seems to be that pretty much the only logical explanation is that Riley entered the water and drowned on that night.

further federal resources are not going to be poured into this case IMO when they will not change the overall ending of this case - As hard as it is for the family this now ultimately is a waiting game until the river gives up the body somewhere in the days, weeks, months to come.

I understand they are hurting I really do but criticising and being frustrated with LEs response is not the right thing to do here.

Riley Strain's family is 100% confident that their loved one is still alive somewhere -- and they're frustrated with cops' search efforts ... demanding extra boots on the ground.
I do understand that their need to hope is a testimony to how loved Riley is. But to be 100% confident he’s still alive is extreme. Let’s pray it may be based on intuition and a miracle occurs? Hard to see that logistically, though.

Last edited:

I think that local law enforcement have done a great job in this case piecing together CCTV to establish his final movements on that night.. unfortunately and tragically it seems to be that pretty much the only logical explanation is that Riley entered the water and drowned on that night.

further federal resources are not going to be poured into this case IMO when they will not change the overall ending of this case - As hard as it is for the family this now ultimately is a waiting game until the river gives up the body somewhere in the days, weeks, months to come.

I understand they are hurting I really do but criticising and being frustrated with LEs response is not the right thing to do here.
I was so impressed with those two detectives! They gave an excellent crash course in how criminal investigations are conducted. No crime has occurred to their knowledge and no evidence uncovered to lead them in that direction.

I was so impressed with those two detectives! They gave an excellent crash course in how criminal investigations are conducted. No crime has occurred to their knowledge and no evidence uncovered to lead them in that direction.
And a lot of not so subtle (and rightfully so!) comments about how people calling in THEORIES are adding to their manpower. They need TIPS, but everything has to be logged and tracked so the theories and people calling with questions are bogging down their system.

And they also made it clear that if evidence surfaces to indicate that there was possible criminal activity, then they are prepared to shift directions and follow the evidence.

They also have big hearts. Riley's mother hugged and held on to the Sargeant in charge of cold cases at the end of the press conference, she couldn't let go, which is understandable, these two LE officers are the closest thing she has to finding Riley and getting information on the search.
Their presence is a lifeline for her, her grief is incredibly palpable.

That interview from TMZ was based on what the "family spokesperson" told a reporter which I hope this friend ran by the family first. The family did not criticize the PD during the press conference today or make any demand for more "boots on the ground."

Such a shame that he told the officer he was doing good; here was an opportunity perhaps to receive assistance getting back to the hotel. Even an arrest for public drunken disorderly conduct and a night in jail would be a million times better than what occurred later that night.
I agree but IMO he wanted to just keep on moving and not let the cop know he was intoxicated. The whole hindsight is 20/20 thing. He thought he knew where he was going and would arrive safely. Sadly, we all now know that didn't happen.

I’ve done the same thing when I was about his age, and pretended to be sober when I wasn’t. It is a bit surprising he was able to pull it off while that intoxicated though, as he was fall down drunk just minutes before.

I think that was merely because the interaction was so brief.
This was my superpower in college. I could have long conversations with authority figures while being blotto and usually be very convincing. I would literally (adrenaline is a game changer) sober up. It might still be my superpower but I haven’t had a drink in 20 years so I’ll never know.

Police in the area are very used to wasted tourists and if they were going to detain every one they encountered it would be impossible. Granted seeing Riley on video I have to say I think he was blackout drunk so being that convincing then would be harder. But then again I have no clue how many LE I encountered while blacked out. Maybe a blackout drunk not only convinces their friends they’re ok.
IMO

An easy solution would be to call LE.

This World is not perfect, but we certainly should all step in for others when we see them in any compromising situation.
And law enforcement then does what? Many people who get tossed from bars due to conduct violations are not breaking any law what so ever.

As for stepping in for others....

I, and in all probability pass people everyday who are in compromising situations (homeless individuals who are to varying degrees intoxicated, passed out, delusional etc). Yet, I have only called the police on very rare occasions when I thought the homeless person was in direct danger. For better or for worse, I have never called the police based on a belief that a homeless person might be in danger later.

At the end of the day, bar employees cannot police individual decisions, and they cannot protect people from themselves.

Last edited:
How would he end up off the sidewalk/street and in the homeless camp - is it that close to the road?
Evidently, it is just down an embankment / under a bridge ( a common sheltering place for the homeless. Bridges keep the rain out and are often paved around the supports- thus less mud. They also have some good ledges under the bridge).

My guess is that say, a 50-75 foot deviation off the edge of the road towards the river could put oneself in the encampment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member