Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

Normally police will say “a body matching the description of…” His body was pulled from the river minutes ago and they’re already confirming it’s him.

I think he had both his shirt on and a wallet in his pocket.

We know now that he was wearing the same shirt and watch, also his height... I wonder if he has a birthmark or something else that would also be used as an identifier. Also, since the parents were there and very involved, they likely had his dental records ready (we all know they anticipated a possible outcome of finding him in the river). They really did identify him quickly.

I am so sad and yet relieved to hear the news this morning. My son leaves for college this fall; so Riley's case has hit me hard as well. He just seems so innocent and sweet - just like my son. Things happen in a blink of an eye - as others have said, jut one mistake, one wrong turn, one decision and tragedy is the outcome.

Rest peacefully Riley. May his parents, family, friends have comfort this day and many days following as they lay him to rest.

Its every mother's worst nightmare. I hope when they are able, his family uses this tragedy to alert young adults to the dangers of alcohol abuse. Prayers for all who knew and loved him.
And for a buddy system for guys.

Riley's life can really make a difference to the general public, and for many of us, it already has.

The family have said that they believe that on the last phone call of which they are aware, they think he was likely talking to his fraternity brother(s). I posted this with the link upthread.

And they believe he was looking for his hotel, headed in the wrong direction based on a misreading of the link he found on his cell phone based on another building in town with a similar name to his hotel.

A mistake that turned into a tragedy.
Interesting data point given the timing of call to 911.

MOO

Accountability goes to Riley who shouldn't have consumed so much alcohol. He's an adult and responsible for his choices. Still it's absolutely tragic and heartbreaking.
Agreed - I don’t agree with blaming the establishment for over-serving an individual unless it was blatant over-serving (I.e. multiple alcoholic beverages to an individual who is clearly very intoxicated). It’s difficult to always identify when someone is too drunk. Some people don’t act as intoxicated as they really are. I know in Riley’s case he was falling down drunk, but he may not have been that way when he was served the one drink at that bar. Once it became apparent he was too intoxicated, they served him water as they should. MOO.

When I learned there was a river where he was last seen it was obvious what had happened to this poor bloke.

Shame on his friends for not leaving with him when he was thrown out.

They knew how close the hotel was and likely thought that Riley could make it back to the hotel on his own since it was so close to the bar. And they were likely inebriated as well.

Going forward, lots of people can learn from what happened to Riley, looking back, lots of people may wish they had done something differently. I am keeping his fraternity brothers in my prayers as well as his family. They all need to find peace, eventually, with what happened. And make a difference with their lives, and honor Riley in whatever ways they can.

JMO.

My thinking too, I wonder. I personally don't believe he was roofied, I know it happens but I don't see him being a target for that but, it's possible him and his group could have taken something which could have possibly added to his state of confusion that night. I'm sure LE and his family already know the answer to that though.
I don't know if he was roofied or not. But young men are indeed big targets of roofie attacks now. It used to be it was young women for reasons of assault. But now the motive is robbery and it is on the rise again. Young men are often the targets. He could have been seen a someone who might have cash or bank card with access to lots of money.

I knew this was coming, of course, but it still made my stomach drop. As a mama of two almost teens, I feel this so deeply for his family- but especially his mama. No parent should ever suffer the agony of outliving a child. It's not the natural order of things. So much love to Riley's family.

On a WS note, Occam's Razor holds true yet again.

RIP Riley
72.png

Video also mentioned above: Run it at speed from 28:30...

Part of the extraction process was to move the body about 1/2 mile upstream, to a point where the police, ME and others could bring road vehicles all the way to the river. Other Notes: A lot of parked barges along the river, particularly upstream, so searching was always going to be a little involved. And cliffs: portions of the coptor flight showed 30 to 40 foot cliffs along the river.

Following the river: the point where the body was located was about 10 miles from the JR bridge. The original indication was the current was about 4 feet/sec near downtown that night. In a straight stream, an object that would barely float would move at just less than half that velocity: or, unencumbered, travel that distance in about 9 hours. Of course, variances in the width and depth of the river influence that. The point being, one would expect the body to have been trapped where it was found for a large portion of the 13-plus day interval; or possibly, trapped somewhere upstream and then released again when the river was burped?

We know now that he was wearing the same shirt and watch, also his height... I wonder if he has a birthmark or something else that would also be used as an identifier. Also, since the parents were there and very involved, they likely had his dental records ready (we all know they anticipated a possible outcome of finding him in the river). They really did identify him quickly.

I am so sad and yet relieved to hear the news this morning. My son leaves for college this fall; so Riley's case has hit me hard as well. He just seems so innocent and sweet - just like my son. Things happen in a blink of an eye - as others have said, jut one mistake, one wrong turn, one decision and tragedy is the outcome.

Rest peacefully Riley. May his parents, family, friends have comfort this day and many days following as they lay him to rest.
I was just about to ask, "what was he wearing when he was found."
Sad story.

Especially when their drinks are laced with GHB. Was Riley drugged? His friends think he was.

When they saw the footage they said it was completely out of character, he could barely walk at 9PM and only had 1 alcohol beverage at the bar he was kicked out of.
I've been rewatching that footage of him running and then triiping. He seems to be running fine. He's obviously not so fine after he stands up. I'm thinking that he may have suffered a critical head injury such as a severe concussion when he tripped. That could also explain his seeming drunkeness in footage.

Riley, although the end is not what we wished and hoped for, I am glad that you have been found; that is a small piece of comfort and closure.

I don't know if he was roofied or not. But young men are indeed big targets of roofie attacks now. It used to be it was young women for reasons of assault. But now the motive is robbery and it is on the rise again. Young men are often the targets. He could have been seen a someone who might have cash or bank card with access to lots of money.
Oh I totally agree with you, it definitely happens but I don't think that's what happened here. If robbery was the motive I don't think Riley would have been the one targeted. Just my opinion...

I knew this was coming, of course, but it still made my stomach drop. As a mama of two almost teens, I feel this so deeply for his family- but especially his mama. No parent should ever suffer the agony of outliving a child. It's not the natural order of things. So much love to Riley's family.

On a WS note, Occam's Razor holds true yet again.

RIP Riley
72.png
Oh my gosh me too. Exact reaction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member