AMBER ALERT TN - Autistic teen Sebastian Wayne Drake Rogers, 15, missing in Hendersonville - Feb 27, 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in a time and place in which disciplining kids involved corporal punishment.

The mild version was being held facedown over someone's lap and spanked hard enough to really hurt.

The more severe versions involved being spanked with a belt or a switch (a skinny limb cut from a tree).

Decades later, I can still remember the sound of the belt and the switch swishing through the air on their way to my rear end.

My parents did not know any better. They were simply repeating the same "discipline" that they grew up with. They are really good people and I love them dearly. I talk to them on the phone twice a week, with texts in between.

I guess my point is that I had hoped parenting had come a long way since I was a kid, but in Sebastian's case I suspect it hasn't.

NO CHILD SHOULD EVER BE HIT.

This bothers me greatly. Taking away a non-autistic child's pet is over-the-line, discipline-wise, but what sort of effect would that have on an autistic child? Throwing away Sebastian's possessions, hitting him with a belt--none of that's okay in my book.
Your kindness exceeds that of my own because what you describe as over-the-line for me is dehumanizing, demoralizing and hateful behavior. Only the insensitive could perform such a cruel thing to a child. moo
And then coming right out and saying that he didn't want the child around his daughter...I don't know what to make of that. It's beyond harsh.
Believe him. He didn't want Sebastian around.
There is a case to be made that KP and CP are just a very odd couple and that neither one knows how to behave in this situation. Still, I can more closely relate to Seth, the bio dad, who hasn't worked since Sebastian went missing--even though he doesn't appear to be a wealthy man. He's begging the media for attention. Begging people to help search. Begging his son to come home. He's wearing his heart on his sleeve, and I can totally relate to that.
There are cards that are not showing. Seth followed his son from CA to Tennessee nearly 2 yrs ago.
But then, there's the matter of the Amber Alert, which suggests that LE suspects someone has absconded with Sebastian. That's a curve ball. And it's still in effect, despite their search of the landfill.

There are so many odd things in this story--so many seeming contradictions. What the heck is going on?

I grew up in a time and place in which disciplining kids involved corporal punishment.

The mild version was being held facedown over someone's lap and spanked hard enough to really hurt.

The more severe versions involved being spanked with a belt or a switch (a skinny limb cut from a tree).

Decades later, I can still remember the sound of the belt and the switch swishing through the air on their way to my rear end.

My parents did not know any better. They were simply repeating the same "discipline" that they grew up with. They are really good people and I love them dearly. I talk to them on the phone twice a week, with texts in between.

I guess my point is that I had hoped parenting had come a long way since I was a kid, but in Sebastian's case I suspect it hasn't.

NO CHILD SHOULD EVER BE HIT.

I had a relative who got frequent spankings from their parents. Don't know how much harm it did them. Could have been a lot of damage done. They became a millionaire in spite of it.

19 States in the Union allow corporal punishment in our schools. I don't think this policy includes special ed students though. One would hope not.

1. States Where Corporal Punishment Is Legal:
    • [*]Corporal punishment is legal in several states, including:
      • Alabama
      • Arizona
      • Arkansas
      • Colorado
      • Florida
      • Georgia
      • Idaho
      • Indiana
      • Kansas
      • Kentucky
      • Louisiana
      • Mississippi
      • Missouri
      • North Carolina
      • Oklahoma
      • South Carolina
      • Tennessee
      • Texas
      • Wyoming3.
      [*]

Your kindness exceeds that of my own because what you describe as over-the-line for me is dehumanizing, demoralizing and hateful behavior. Only the insensitive could perform such a cruel thing to a child. moo

Believe him. He didn't want Sebastian around.

There are cards that are not showing. Seth followed his son from CA to Tennessee nearly 2 yrs ago.
I keep asking myself why we're not hearing talk from neighbors, acquaintances, and others. Did the Proudfoots keep to themselves and no one really knows them? I know a couple of Sebastian's teachers were interviewed initially, but since then, it's been like a blackout of talk.

I like Seth more all the time. He is behaving in the way I think most parents would behave in this situation.

I keep asking myself why we're not hearing talk from neighbors, acquaintances, and others. Did the Proudfoots keep to themselves and no one really knows them? I know a couple of Sebastian's teachers were interviewed initially, but since then, it's been like a blackout of talk.

I like Seth more all the time. He is behaving in the way I think most parents would behave in this situation.

Oh, I did not realize his teacher/s spoke to the news. Do you recall where the interviews may be? I've seen a photo of Sebastian smiling big and proud with a female who may have been a teacher.

Maybe they've obtained legal representation. IDK what's up. I hope TBI knows.

This bothers me greatly. Taking away a non-autistic child's pet is over-the-line, discipline-wise, but what sort of effect would that have on an autistic child? Throwing away Sebastian's possessions, hitting him with a belt--none of that's okay in my book.

And then coming right out and saying that he didn't want the child around his daughter...I don't know what to make of that. It's beyond harsh.

There is a case to be made that KP and CP are just a very odd couple and that neither one knows how to behave in this situation. Still, I can more closely relate to Seth, the bio dad, who hasn't worked since Sebastian went missing--even though he doesn't appear to be a wealthy man. He's begging the media for attention. Begging people to help search. Begging his son to come home. He's wearing his heart on his sleeve, and I can totally relate to that.

But then, there's the matter of the Amber Alert, which suggests that LE suspects someone has absconded with Sebastian. That's a curve ball. And it's still in effect, despite their search of the landfill.

There are so many odd things in this story--so many seeming contradictions. What the heck is going on?
I have followed cases where publicly LE never said anything but missing person until there was an arrest for homicide. Quoting @MassGuy, watch what LE is doing, not what they're saying.

LE has been pretty quiet, considering. I believe they have a handle on this. Investigative work takes time. Digital forensics is the new DNA.

Data is likely poring in.

JMO

FWIW I happen to believe that Sebastian did walk right out the front door. Before it was locked.

I'm curious to see if that part of the narrative holds up.

(It's what happened before and after that which will tell the whole story IMO.)

JMO

I have followed cases where publicly LE never said anything but missing person until there was an arrest for homicide. Quoting @MassGuy, watch what LE is doing, not what they're saying.

LE has been pretty quiet, considering. I believe they have a handle on this. Investigative work takes time. Digital forensics is the new DNA.

Data is likely poring in.

JMO
Agreed. Just because at present we’re not being told anything through the media about what LE is thinking or doing about Sebastian’s case, doesn’t mean they aren’t enacting a plan based on definite suspicions.
IMO they’ve been given a lot to work with at this juncture.

If only men who don't truly care for a woman's children would stay away and not marry that woman. If only women wouldn't marry men who don't truly care about their child. If only free parenting classes were widely available.
All IMO.
From your lips to God's ears.

How many innocent children have suffered abuse and worse because a step-parent didn't really care for them and couldn't form an emotional bond? It's heartbreaking, and the adults who are involved end up suffering as well when they resort to foolish actions.

I'm not a snake person, but you can see how much little Sebastian loved his snake. How awful that child must have felt to lose his beloved pet.

I just can't get on board with that sort of thing. I hope Sebastian is found soon--one way or the other.

I can’t imagine taking a child’s pet away. That’s like taking a person away! Just recently my 13 year old brought her hamster to me, it was obvious that she was gone, but we did everything we could for her. And then I sat up with her that night because she was heartbroken. She visits her grave every day.
To me, it is more abusive to do that than it is to hit(which yes is also abuse) but those things will be in their head every single day. How in the world could someone do that to another human. It just makes me so sad.
At what point are we allowed to stop hinting around? When LE makes an announcement? New so not totally clear on all of the rules surrounding that.
I just want this poor boy to be found, either way, so his daddy can have some answers.

Still digesting the Smiley interview.

CP took away Sebastian's snake as "discipline." He threw away things Sebastian left untidied in his room as "discipline." He hit Sebastian with a belt as "discipline."

Did he ever view Sebastian as a child who would respond better to love and patience than "discipline"?

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if at some point CP dismissed Sebastian's diagnoses with something along the lines of, "There's nothing wrong with that kid, he's just spoiled and needs some discipline."
Did Seth know that Chris disciplined Sebastian by having him throw away his belongings that were left on the bedroom floor and striking him with a belt?

Exactly. Or the sun in their eyes, or the sound of aluminum foil being taken from a roll, or
FWIW I happen to believe that Sebastian did walk right out the front door. Before it was locked.

I'm curious to see if that part of the narrative holds up.

(It's what happened before and after that which will tell the whole story IMO.)

JMO
This is speculation but one potential situation since the discipline was like old school to say the least would be if they said “if you walk out that door right now then xyz” maybe “you’ll be out there until I go to bed” or something to that effect. I mean I certainly hope not but I guess if he insisted on going outside the punishment could be “okay then you’ll be outside”. Idk though I’m so torn on this one. Im not sure I even think KP and CP would hypothetically do that. Idk. JMO. MOO.

Just breaks my heart to hear his dad calling for him.

I can understand both sides. The family and volunteers are going to do anything they can to find him, and LE just doesn’t want anything getting messed up, but can they honestly expect people to just stop looking for him? Especially after scaling back the search.

Just breaks my heart to hear his dad calling for him.

I can understand both sides. The family and volunteers are going to do anything they can to find him, and LE just doesn’t want anything getting messed up, but can they honestly expect people to just stop looking for him? Especially after scaling back the search.
It makes it sound like there’s something that could get worse if people keep searching. You know? If he’s gone then there’s no further harm to be done. It makes it seem like there’s a precarious situation. JMO. IMO. MOO.

This is speculation but one potential situation since the discipline was like old school to say the least would be if they said “if you walk out that door right now then xyz” maybe “you’ll be out there until I go to bed” or something to that effect. I mean I certainly hope not but I guess if he insisted on going outside the punishment could be “okay then you’ll be outside”. Idk though I’m so torn on this one. Im not sure I even think KP and CP would hypothetically do that. Idk. JMO. MOO.
Unfortunately, there are in fact parents who would feel perfectly justified in doing that.
Upthread, I’d mentioned the case of 14 year old Leslie Mahaffy. Her mother locked her out of the house as punishment for missing curfew. Later that night, pacing around the yard of her locked home, Leslie was seen by Paul Bernardo, who abducted the minor. and raped and murdered her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ServerNotResponding