Baltimore, MD - Container Ship Strikes Francis Scott Key Bridge - Mass Casualty Situation

*The Francis Key Scott Bridge received a grade of 6 out of 9 in its last federal inspection.

*The bridge was last inspected in May 2021 and received a “fair” rating, according to federal data reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.
Be that as it may, but to be truly fair to the engineers who built it, I doubt many of the world's bridges would fare well if a central support was hit by a fully laden cargo ship.

MOO

I watched this last night live on YouTube and followed the scanner for a few hours. Absolutely terrifying. My husband is a boat captain in the river and it’s not uncommon for boats to hit/graze bridges as they pass but rarely do they do it like this.

It looks like the ship lost power, drifted too far the wrong way, gained power, overcorrected their turn and lost power again - locking them into the extreme trajectory towards the bridge piling.

I watched a press conference this morning on the BBC website that said the boat was travelling at 8 knots at the time.

Thankful the boat was able to put out a mayday call. The livestream didn’t have audio. I’m wondering if they also sounded their whistle or if the road crew was also alerted.

The collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge after being struck by the Dali container ship, in Baltimore, on March 26.

Maersk said it’s omitting Baltimore on all of its services “for the foreseeable future, until it is deemed safe for passage through this area.” Customers are set to face delays as cargo set for Baltimore is discharged in nearby ports, the Danish company said in a customer advisory posted on its website. “We are keeping a close eye on the safety situation in the area and continuing to assess the viability of transportation through the area,” Maersk said

Vessel traffic into and out of the Port of Baltimore has been suspended until further notice, the port said.

“This does not mean that the Port of Baltimore is shut down. We are still processing trucks inside of our terminals,” the port authority pointed out.

"Divers and sonar crews race against the tide as they search for survivors of Baltimore bridge collapse.

The ship - the Singaporean-flagged Dali -

was 20 minutes into its journey

when it slammed into a support column on the bridge.

It remains unclear what led to the crash.

Video shows the ship going dark seconds before the collision, suggesting a power failure on board.

The crew of 22 remains onboard and is now being questioned by the Coast Guard.

In the meantime, Maryland authorities are using sonar detection devices to search for the vehicles that plunged into the 47 F water."

RIP to the lives lost !

Even for those who can swim, part of the bridge or construction equipment on the bridge/job site could fall on them.
Awful.

The cargo ship that smashed into the Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore overnight was piloted by a specialized crew trained to avoid obstacles at ports, it has emerged.
'The vessel notified MD Department of Transportation (MDOT) that they had lost control of the vessel and an
allision with the bridge was possible,' the report said. 'The vessel struck the bridge causing a complete collapse.'
Red emph. mine.
(Question : That didn't sound correct. I think the article meant to say, 'collision' !)

At this time, it looks like the pilots of the vessel were not at fault, and tried to correct the direction the ship was headed in & also sent out the 'Mayday' warning ?

No one wants this on their job record.
From the sound of it, there will be repercussions from this.
Not to mention the emotional toll for the ships' employees that will surely follow.
If their power went out, that's not necessarily their fault.
Omo.

My deepest condolences to the families of the missing !

When I watched that live 7 minute video it appeared to me that the only casualty from a moving vehicle was a transport truck heading to the left. I didn't see any smaller personal vehicles on the bridge so I'm thinking the vehicles submerged were the construction workers' own vehicles. Did anyone see a car driving across that would have been impacted by the collapse?

Rescue efforts are underway, with it believed that 20 construction crew were on the bridge at the time as well as around 20 cars crossing the bridge

The Dali container ship had undergone 27 inspections since 2015, and it had been found to have two 'deficiencies', according to a CNN review of records from the Electronic Quality Shipping Information System (Equasis).

Notably, this included a June 2023 inspection in San Antonio, Chile, where a deficiency was found in the 'propulsion and auxiliary machinery' - with propulsion faults also noted in the early CISA report. .'

No deficiencies were found when the vessel was last inspected on September 9, 2023 by the US Coast Guard in New York.

Professor Helen Sampson, an expert at the Seafarers International Research Centre at Cardiff University, speculated that human error may have also contributed to the accident.

Because the ship crashed at 1:30am, she told Sky News: 'The time makes me also wonder whether there was an element of fatigue at play.

'It's almost always the case that we focus on human error at the individual level, it's almost always the case that there's a broader context which has resulted in that human error, like fatigue and the demands made on pilots or on crews.'

The early CISA report noted that the crew warned officials that they had lost control of the vessel moments before impact.

RIP to the lives lost !
Even for those who can swim, part of the bridge or construction equipment on the bridge/job site could fall on them.
Awful.

The cargo ship that smashed into the Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore overnight was piloted by a specialized crew trained to avoid obstacles at ports, it has emerged.
'The vessel notified MD Department of Transportation (MDOT) that they had lost control of the vessel and an
allision with the bridge was possible,' the report said. 'The vessel struck the bridge causing a complete collapse.'
Red emph. mine.
(Question : That didn't sound correct. I think the article meant to say, 'collision' !)

At this time, it looks like the pilots of the vessel were not at fault, and tried to correct the direction the ship was headed in & also sent out the 'Mayday' warning ?

No one wants this on their job record.
Not to mention the emotional toll that will surely follow.
Omo.

My deepest condolences to the families of the missing.
Besides impact with vehicles or bridge parts, I suspect the fall will prove to have been a big factor in deaths. Most cargo ships are absolutely massive, unless you've lived in a port, you may not have seen one up close enough to realise the scale. And that bridge was designed to be high enough for them to pass easily beneath it. Hitting the water from that height would likely be fatal in itself, without water temperature or ability to swim factoring at all.

MOO

Rescue efforts are underway, with it believed that 20 construction crew were on the bridge at the time as well as around 20 cars crossing the bridge

The Dali container ship had undergone 27 inspections since 2015, and it had been found to have two 'deficiencies', according to a CNN review of records from the Electronic Quality Shipping Information System (Equasis).

Notably, this included a June 2023 inspection in San Antonio, Chile, where a deficiency was found in the 'propulsion and auxiliary machinery' - with propulsion faults also noted in the early CISA report. .'

No deficiencies were found when the vessel was last inspected on September 9, 2023 by the US Coast Guard in New York.

Professor Helen Sampson, an expert at the Seafarers International Research Centre at Cardiff University, speculated that human error may have also contributed to the accident.

Because the ship crashed at 1:30am, she told Sky News: 'The time makes me also wonder whether there was an element of fatigue at play.

'It's almost always the case that we focus on human error at the individual level, it's almost always the case that there's a broader context which has resulted in that human error, like fatigue and the demands made on pilots or on crews.'

The early CISA report noted that the crew warned officials that they had lost control of the vessel moments before impact.
I might believe in fatigue as a factor had the ship been incoming, rather than outgoing. It had literally just left the docks.

MOO

From this link, the bridge inspection showed, "a score of 6 out of 9 which is 'fair' ".
In May, 2022 : Bridge's concrete columns -- which the Maersk-owned ship struck -- were downgraded to 64.9 from 77.8 .

Perfect storm of accidents waiting to happen, imo.

That cargo ship was totally loaded, hard to believe it was going to sailing on possibly rough seas like that.
Extremely heavy... and maybe even if the bridge was reinforced more securely, it still would've collapsed ?

I'm so sorry for the relatives of the missing people.
Cargo & goods being transported, ships, and bridges can be replaced.
People's lives cannot.
Omo.

Last edited:
When they say there was about 20 vehicles on the bridge at the time what are they basing that on, visual inspection or toll information? If it's toll information then hopefully the toll booths are in areas where the bridge still exists and they made it off the suspension portion of the bridge.

A trucking news website is reporting that a semi truck and other vehicles plunged into the water at the site of the bridge collapse.

The area of the bridge collapse is in a deep channel port with 40 to 50 feet deep water and the water was cold with strong currents at the bridge collapse site.

Semi truck plunged into water in Francis Scott Key bridge collapse

A trucking news website is reporting that a semi truck and other vehicles plunged into the water at the site of the bridge collapse.

The area of the bridge collapse is in a deep channel port with 40 to 50 feet deep water and the water was cold with strong currents at the bridge collapse site.

Semi truck plunged into water in Francis Scott Key bridge collapse
Yeah, they've been saying from early on that something tractor-trailer sized went in. I've been assuming it was a vehicle associated with the road crew, something to do with concrete or asphalt, but maybe it wasn't. Maybe some trucker just using the bridge because their truck was too tall for the tunnel or something isn't coming home.

MOO

Also from the article. It appears they don’t really know how many “cars” are down there which is alarming.

Underwater drones, as well as sonar and infrared surveillance tools, had confirmed there were several cars in the river, Wallace said.
Regarding the vehicles I think it’ll be found that most of these belong to the road crew members who were working on the bridge moo.

The problem rescuers are going to have if that’s the case is that most the workers wouldn’t have been actually in the vehicles at the time so their bodies could have moved a distance away from the scene.

I’d like to know where the two survivors were positioned on the bridge - my guess is that they were nearer either end as from the video we’ve seen I just can’t see how anyone survives from the middle part of the bridge.

“There were individuals working on the bridge at the time. There are cars in the water – our fire department has confirmed that as they lead this search-and-rescue mission through sonar. That is where our focus is – it’s about those souls, those people we’re trying to find and get out of this water,” Scott said :(

"Any bridge would have been in serious danger from a collision like this," said Nii Attoh-Okine, professor and chair of civil and environmental engineering at the University of Maryland.

Bridges work by transferring the load they carry ‒ cars, trucks or trains ‒ through their support beams onto columns or piles sunk deep into the ground.

But they also depend on those support columns to hold them up.

When the 984-foot Singapore-flagged Dali took out that column, the bridge was inevitably going to fall, said Benjamin W. Schafer, a civil engineering professor at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.

“You go frame by frame in the video and you can see the support removed, and then as you watch, the entire structure comes down," he said. “Literally the whole bridge comes down as a rigid body.”

"Cargo ship

that hit Baltimore bridge

was involved in Antwerp collision in 2016.

The Dali was reportedly detained in Belgium
after scraping side of quay and significantly damaging part of hull in good weather."

Middleton said he and other volunteers took Dali crew members to Walmart, where they wanted to stock up for a particularly long voyage ahead.

“They were going to Sri Lanka, and the captain said it was going to be a 28-day voyage,” he said. “They were going down and around South Africa to avoid the Red Sea and the Houthis.”
As a result, the Dali was “taking a longer route,” Middleton said.

They were planning a long voyage.
Looks like the crew is going to be stuck here for a while.

The main questions will be: Why did the power go out, if that's what happened.
Was the bridge as structurally sound as was believed ?

There will be evidence if they tried to reverse the ship.
They did get the 'mayday' call out.
Etc.

Close up photos from the above link show a ship with what looks like rust and some wear & tear issues , imo.
Omo.

I do not agree with the restriction of drones . They have regulations and restrictions on megahertz and radio waves to prevent interference . Fair and balanced. Who to trust ?
I think it's probably more to do with them physically getting in the way of people performing a rescue/recovery operation. Every newspaper and media outlet in the world is going to be trying to get exclusive footage right now. That's dozens, if not hundreds, of drones in the air. They could actually make it unsafe for the rescuers just trying to do their jobs if they are flown too close.

And it's not like the media can't get perfectly good pictures from literally anywhere along the harbour foreshore right now. The bridge, and where it used to be, is visible from all over Baltimore.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann
Back