School shooting in Finland, 12-year-old shooter, April 2, 2024

Rikissa

Reaction score
A 12-year-old has been arrested for a school shooting in Vanda (a city just north of Helsinki, part of the Greater Helsinki), where one child was killed, and two injured, all of them 12-year-olds.
In Swedish:

Last edited:
''Police said both the suspect and the victims were 12 years old. The suspect was arrested in the Helsinki area later Tuesday with a handgun in his possession, police said.

Police told a news conference that one of the wounded students had died. The other two were seriously wounded, said Chief of Police Ilka Koskimaki from the Eastern Uusima Police Department.

Finnish Prime Minister Petteri Orpo posted on X that he was “deeply shocked” over the shooting.

In the past decades, Finland has witnessed two major deadly school shootings.''

''Police said both the suspect and the victims were 12 years old. The suspect was arrested in the Helsinki area later Tuesday with a handgun in his possession, police said.
Finnish media haven't mentioned if the suspect is male or female, the Swedish-language newspaper Hufvudstadsbladet writes "tolvårig person" (twelve-year-old person)and Finnish-language IS (IltaSanoma) writes "12-vuotias lapsi" (12-year-old child). Even if a Finnish-language site would mention the shooter as "hän", the third-person singular pronoun, that will not reveal the gender of a person, as that pronoun is gender neutral in the Finnish language, as well as its closest related languages. Finnish language has only one word for "he" and "she" - "hän".

The DM say the suspect is male, they have a video of him being arrested but it's blurred out

The DM say the suspect is male, they have a video of him being arrested but it's blurred out

However, the suspect is unlikely to be prosecuted on account of their age, with the minimum age of criminal liability in Finland being 15.

Really?? What the hell??

It's ten here!

Police told a news conference that one of the wounded students had died. The other two were seriously wounded, said Chief of Police Ilka Koskimaki from the Eastern Uusima Police Department.

Finnish Prime Minister Petteri Orpo posted on X that he was “deeply shocked” over the shooting.

In the past decades, Finland has witnessed two major deadly school shootings.''

Past decades?

17 years 1 decade 7 years

Hard to compare usa to finland

Usa population over 334 million finland under 6 million.

A 12-year-old child has died and two others have been seriously wounded in a school shooting in Finland.

The suspect, a fellow pupil, ran off after the shooting but was later arrested, police said. He was holding a licensed handgun owned by a close relative and admitted carrying out the shooting in an initial interview, they added.

Is it?? I'm amazed by that, quite honestly.

That can't be right when I think about it - are we talking about the same thing? I'm wondering whether things are being lost in translation, as it were?

Quote from my country's MSM
translated:

"Authorities have already launched an investigation into murder and attempted murder.

As reported by the BBC, children under 15
are not subject to criminal liability in Finland,

which is why the suspect was not placed in custody
but in social welfare."

That can't be right when I think about it - are we talking about the same thing? I'm wondering whether things are being lost in translation, as it were?
It's correct. Not lost in translation. I agree it's quite surprising. I had no idea the age of criminal responsibility was 17 in Poland.
This lists the age of criminal responsibility in different countries

So, yeah, it seems to be a bit more nuanced; I think the term "criminal responsibility" has different specific meanings in different countries. So, yes, it's technically 17 in Poland but it's not as simple as that. From the Wikipedia entry on the matter;

Juvenile correctional proceedings liability age is 13. Juvenile educational and therapeutic proceedings liability applies to all persons under the age of 18 (including persons below 13 years of age).[96] The maximum possible sentence that can be imposed on offenders taking criminal liability under 18 years of age is 25 years' imprisonment.

So, essentially, it seems you can still be subject to some sort of proceedings under 17, and under 15 and even 13. Just seems to have some different specific legal meaning there. The practical effect, though, is that you still get locked up away from others from what I can tell.

It's correct. Not lost in translation. I agree it's quite surprising. I had no idea the age of criminal responsibility was 17 in Poland.
This lists the age of criminal responsibility in different countries
You beat me to it!

It seems that a child even under 13 can be held in custody (for want of a better phrase) depending on the "crime".

For Finland, everywhere seems to maintain this 15 age but there must be some form of secure order for someone like this kid. I can't believe he'll simply be allowed to walk with no consequences.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJAY0618
Back