Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #9

I want to add to my previous post that being young, PS would possibly need to show ID to enter venues serving alcohol and in most circumstances young ones use their licence. This could mean the app (assuming it was being used) may be helpful to track PS’s movements. JMO

“You can use your digital licence:
  • to prove your right to drive.
  • as proof you’re over 18 at licensed venues or
  • anywhere you need to prove your identity (such as retailers or hotels)”
Yes, Smart phones are tracking and listening devices all in one... and a lot of the time this data isn't stored on one's phone. Tracking someone's movements isn't an exercise in accessing data from a phone....

Last edited:
JMO but I’m guessing they don’t want to be associated with the accused in any way…. ? That’s how I’d read it. Trying to draw a sharp line in the sand: “we do not wish to be associated in any way with the alleged actions of this party”…
And so true Professor, you can’t choose family ..

However I’m not convinced their leaving Ballarat will have been as simple as ‘we don’t want to be associated’.
We’re talking about ‘parents’ - and most particularly ‘a mother’. I’ll surmise that this mother was stunned by the news of PS arrest, her heart was ripped out by the ‘loss’ of the son she knew & loved - but at the same time she’s aware of her 2 other children in need of support, care & protection.
(was he always her ‘difficult / challenging’ child. …… although he got through his apprenticeship so must be able to knuckle down)
Either way, I’d suggest she’ll be struggling mentally, and may quite possibly be in need of her own support networks.
Also, for all we know, PS may’ve told them to leave.
We’re not party to any of his conversations with anyone. Did he speak with them / is he speaking with them - or has he refused all communication.
All we’ve heard is the police say ‘he’s not cooperating’ - which imo is quite possibly in the context of him not divulging the whereabouts of Sam’s body, which is so crucial to their case ( and our inquisitive natures)

* Please don’t take that comment out of context - am simply being aware that there are 2 agendas here, that of the police & that of Sam’s family.

Her family 1st & foremost want her back now - alive preferably, but in accepting the alternative, so they know where she is, they can farewell her & lay her to rest with love & dignity.
The responsibility of the Police, 1st & foremost, is to solve crimes and to bring perpetrators to justice, which means they need all the evidence they can get. … it’s a huge challenge to stick a murder charge without a body ( yes it’s been done I know), but they’d rather not I’m sure.

I’m intrigued by the fact that they persist in searching that forest still . .after 2 month of supposed nothing ! Are they looking anywhere else ? Do they perhaps have intel as to the fact that she’s in there ?

All just my rambling thoughts. I so hope this awful situation will soon ease for all those unfairly impacted

<modsnip: off topic>
I think perhaps it’s best to give up on judgement of the actions of PS’s family. They are not the ones charged & are entitled to respect & freedom at all levels.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to add to my previous post that being young, PS would possibly need to show ID to enter venues serving alcohol and in most circumstances young ones use their licence. This could mean the app (assuming it was being used) may be helpful to track PS’s movements. JMO

“You can use your digital licence:
  • to prove your right to drive.
  • as proof you’re over 18 at licensed venues or
  • anywhere you need to prove your identity (such as retailers or hotels)”
Not at 22 in Australia, unless he looked exceptionally young. ( surely one day I’ll be asked )

I’m intrigued by the fact that they persist in searching that forest still . .after 2 month of supposed nothing ! Are they looking anywhere else ? Do they perhaps have intel as to the fact that she’s in there ?
Me too. If PS isn’t speaking then intel would have to be from someone else and/or something else. Maybe his car was sighted in that general area once or more at the time.

Just another aspect on technical tracking. I don't use all the bells and whistles of tracking etc on my android smart phone. However at the end of each month I do get information from Google maps that tells me exactly where I have been. Wonder if this is only something that happens with android phones or if PS had an android phone.

Me too. If PS isn’t speaking then intel would have to be from someone else and/or something else. Maybe his car was sighted in that general area once or more at the time.

Would be good if police could wiretap his GF to get a confession and for SM body location

We just hope the police are on top of things, that we don't know about and can find SM body soon

Would be good if police could wiretap his GF to get a confession and for SM body location

We just hope the police are on top of things, that we don't know about and can find SM body soon
They’ll be all over it. We know nothing really, but I can’t wait to eventually hear all about it!

Time is flying!
August will come in a blink of an eye.
And still
- no body
- no phone
- no watch

And Defence must get full info from Police/Prosecution before early August Court sitting.
2 weeks before (the least)?

Has the accused got an Alibi?
Has he got witnesses to confirm his Alibi?

JMO

Last edited:
Sure will. And will be great for the Murphy family.
But I doubt after all this time there will be any forensic evidence nor even a cause of death. MOO

Depends on where she is

If SM is buried deeply, they can still get DNA and COD

I am hoping that's the best case scenario, and she gets found soon

I am thinking that could possibly be why they still haven't found her

Plus, we don't know what the police have found in searches with plenty of DNA

And there could be phone video, CCTV, dash cam

Which could show everything

Plus there could be a star witness

Time is flying!
August will come in a blink of an eye.
And still
- no body
- no phone
- no watch

And Defence must get full info from Police/Prosecution before early August Court sitting.
2 weeks before (the least)?

Has the accused got an Alibi?
Has he got witnesses to confirm his Alibi?

JMO

The police will keep that quiet now If they have found her phone and watch

And why should they let the accused know everything, so he can prepare himself with his legal team,
keep him guessing the VICPOL would be saying ! He won't even talk to them

The body, yes and hopefully they find SM shortly

It doesn't look like a good alibi, otherwise the police wouldn't have charged him

It doesn't look like a good alibi, otherwise the police wouldn't have charged him

Alibi can be given at any time.

The suspect can do this at virtually any time:

- during the first interrogation/interview,
- during the investigation,
- and even during the main trial.

However, alibis reported later are usually less reliable.

And, besides,
Isn't he reported as not cooperating?
(Maybe he didn't provide the alibi then)

And again,
Defence must be informed about everything before the Court sitting.
This info is not a secret knowledge known only to Police/Prosecution.
Surely???

JMO

Last edited:
Alibi can be given at any time.

The suspect can do this at virtually any time:

- during the first interrogation/interview,
- during the investigation,
- and even during the main trial.

However, alibis reported later are usually less reliable.

And, besides,
Isn't he reported as not cooperating?
(Maybe he didn't provide the alibi then)

And again,
Defence must be informed about everything before the Court sitting.
This info is not a secret knowledge known only to Police/Prosecution.
Surely???

JMO

Yes they can

At the final issue, of guilt or innocence

The police must also have a strong case to charge the accused over SM murder

Hopefully the police could probably provide his alibi, If he can't remember

By any phone footage, photos they could have of him on the day, including CCTV

That might help him remember. Lol

Last edited:
Depends on where she is

If SM is buried deeply, they can still get DNA and COD

I am hoping that's the best case scenario, and she gets found soon

I am thinking that could possibly be why they still haven't found her

Plus, we don't know what the police have found in searches with plenty of DNA

And there could be phone video, CCTV, dash cam

Which could show everything

Plus there could be a star witness
Agree. However I was thinking of Allison Dicky (Baden Clay). She was only missing for 10 days beside a creek and no cause of death could be determined and although she scratched Gerald's face, they could not use any DNA from under her fingernails. Just trying to be realistic, but remain hopeful for the Murphy family.

Agree. However I was thinking of Allison Dicky (Baden Clay). She was only missing for 10 days beside a creek and no cause of death could be determined and although she scratched Gerald's face, they could not use any DNA from under her fingernails. Just trying to be realistic, but remain hopeful for the Murphy family.

They did believe haemorrhage, smothering or strangulation, blunt force was the cause

But the judge was undetermined

His defence team, which successfully suppressed parts of the autopsy report at the trial.

It was the scratches on his face which were to prove crucial in his sentencing

Forensic medicine nowadays is outstanding, so much new technology

The best scenario is

If he confesses and gives up the body then it's all over.

Just another aspect on technical tracking. I don't use all the bells and whistles of tracking etc on my android smart phone. However at the end of each month I do get information from Google maps that tells me exactly where I have been. Wonder if this is only something that happens with android phones or if PS had an android phone.
That's a feature you can turn off on android phones.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter
Back