OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

I'm just now seeing this thread, and I've just skimmed through it quickly, so forgive me if this has been mentioned previously - but there's someone on ancestry who lists him in their family tree and gives a date of death as 1976 in California. Have you seen that?
They probably put 1976 as the death year because it's the last year Stephen was known to be alive. He went AWOL from the military that November.

Totally just my speculation so if I’m wrong just ignore me!:

What about looking for friends of Stephen’s parents? I feel like there’s some “family secret” aspect to this but my guess is it’s not even a big thing, it just seemed like it to them at the time. I feel like they at least thought they knew what happened and didnt want people to know, otherwise they’d be trying to figure it out too right? And they very well may have gone to their close friends for support.

I just get the feeling that someone knows something or knew something. And all you need is one loose thread to pull.

I guess that’s why your search for Stephen sticks with me. Because when he went missing or left or whatever happened, it seems like his family at the time were hurt or baffled or whatnot and tried to close off from the whole thing and from him. But now he has you looking for him and that’s so touching. You’re his family and you’re looking. That makes Stephen’s story brighter because he has you.

Totally just my speculation so if I’m wrong just ignore me!:

What about looking for friends of Stephen’s parents? I feel like there’s some “family secret” aspect to this but my guess is it’s not even a big thing, it just seemed like it to them at the time. I feel like they at least thought they knew what happened and didnt want people to know, otherwise they’d be trying to figure it out too right? And they very well may have gone to their close friends for support.

I just get the feeling that someone knows something or knew something. And all you need is one loose thread to pull.

I guess that’s why your search for Stephen sticks with me. Because when he went missing or left or whatever happened, it seems like his family at the time were hurt or baffled or whatnot and tried to close off from the whole thing and from him. But now he has you looking for him and that’s so touching. You’re his family and you’re looking. That makes Stephen’s story brighter because he has you.
I haven't been able to figure out his parents friends. I looking to see if I can find out people Stephen's mother worked with.

I think different states have different requirements for declaring someone dead legally. There's a lot you could find online for this but you may opt to meet with a lawyer instead. I've found that having something explained in person often gets the information to "click" better. As far as filing for legal death, I'm not sure.

All states have a certain period of time post-activity for a person to be declared dead, usually at least 5 years. This would mean there would have to be no evidence the person has been alive within the set time limit.

I haven’t read the entire thread, but I did do some digging around and haven’t found anything you don’t already have.
I’m confused why you want him declared dead. I thought you were trying to find him?
There are requirements to having someone declared legally dead. Things you have to do to fill these requirements could yield evidence that he's actually alive somewhere or evidence suggesting his fate. The government has resources that the average P.I. or even police dept. do not have to make sure someone is dead. I think this is the primary reason for Snoangel wanting their father declared legally deceased.

I haven’t read the entire thread, but I did do some digging around and haven’t found anything you don’t already have.
I’m confused why you want him declared dead. I thought you were trying to find him?
I do want to find him. But in all honesty I've come to the conclusion that he is deceased.

I think different states have different requirements for declaring someone dead legally. There's a lot you could find online for this but you may opt to meet with a lawyer instead. I've found that having something explained in person often gets the information to "click" better. As far as filing for legal death, I'm not sure.

All states have a certain period of time post-activity for a person to be declared dead, usually at least 5 years. This would mean there would have to be no evidence the person has been alive within the set time limit.
He has been missing since 1976. No activity on his social security number according to the detective.

I have been reading this thread and admire how committed you are to finding your Dad. When I looked up the attack on the wrong set of soldiers from the riot attack. I realize someone already posted about it. They did not attach a date to my recollection. The attack happened on the 13 th of Nov. The last date on your Dad's service record was the 11th. It seems more than coincidence to me. Maybe something happened to him around this occurrence. Somebody thought he was part of the klan and disappeared him before the attack or the MC backdated his UA to cover up something that happened.

Sorry I had his last recorded date wrong. I looked back and it was the 1st of Nov. with them declaring him deserted on the 22nd. I apologize for that. It is still too much of coincidence with the riots on the 13th. I am surprised the marine corps didn't investigate this. His previous UA's may have made them not look closer who knows.

I have been reading this thread and admire how committed you are to finding your Dad. When I looked up the attack on the wrong set of soldiers from the riot attack. I realize someone already posted about it. They did not attach a date to my recollection. The attack happened on the 13 th of Nov. The last date on your Dad's service record was the 11th. It seems more than coincidence to me. Maybe something happened to him around this occurrence. Somebody thought he was part of the klan and disappeared him before the attack or the MC backdated his UA to cover up something that happened.
You referring to the attack at the barracks? I believe it was called Pendleton 14.

Sorry I had his last recorded date wrong. I looked back and it was the 1st of Nov. with them declaring him deserted on the 22nd. I apologize for that. It is still too much of coincidence with the riots on the 13th. I am surprised the marine corps didn't investigate this. His previous UA's may have made them not look closer who knows.
I would still think even with previous UA's they would still want to locate him. I feel that when he left in November that everyone washed their hands of him

You referring to the attack at the barracks? I believe it was called Pendleton 14.
Yes the Pendleton 14 is what I was referring too.
I would still think even with previous UA's they would still want to locate him. I feel that when he left in November that everyone washed their hands of him
You would think they would want to investigate each time he went UA, something was definitely happening. But with the final desertion being around the time of the Pendleton 14 that they would look into it more. For your sake I wish they would have. UA's seem odd for the same guy described in high school.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny
Back