Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

If the fraternity was assured the family would not take legal action against them, then maybe they would talk. If these guys were as close as the mother says they were, they would talk. Their son was an adult. I can certainly understand both sides of this sad situation.
I am so, so sad about Riley. I have adult sons and can’t imagine the horror of loosing one, but I just can’t see how the fraternity is at fault. It would have been wonderful if the brothers had a buddy system for this outing or made a pack not to overindulge, but even without that, I don’t see how the fraternity is liable. Each young man made his own choices and was not in charge of annyone else’s decisions or behavior.

I came to adore Riley through this so it’s hard to write anything negative about him (and of course until the tox screen comes back we won’t know for sure) but it certainly looks like he as an individual didn’t make good decisions that night. :(

OMHO. RIP dear Riley.

Last edited:
"Another potential source of new information is video footage from a detention center near where Strain was last seen. While video from one camera at the center has been made public, the center has several other cameras, and those recordings have not been available to the family. “We would love to see the footage,” Dingman said, noting it was currently in the possession of the local sheriff’s department. “We now do have confirmation that there were cameras pointing back toward the bridge where Riley went missing at.”
Family friend: We don't believe Riley Strain just fell into the river

Hopefully this will give them answers.

Yeah, it's not surprising. First they didn't believe he was even river, now it's foul play that he was in the river. I said this several weeks ago:

"Now we’re at the stage where the family really wants to hold out hope, so they’ll do anything to believe he’s not in the river. I think this is overwhelmingly the case in events like this.

When and if his body is eventually recovered from the river, the first behavior will apply again. Blame will go back to the bar, and a scenario that involves foul play will be where they wind up mentally."

APR 9, 2024
Chris Dingman, a friend of Riley Strain’s family, says the last known person to speak with the late University of Missouri student gave the family and later detectives a statement about what happened the night Strain disappeared.

[...]

... In addition to the witness statement, another potential source of new information is video footage from a detention center near where Strain was last seen.

While video from one camera at the center has been made public, the center has several other cameras, and those recordings have not been available to the family.

[...]

“We would love to see the footage,” Dingman said, noting it was currently in the possession of the local sheriff’s department. “We now do have confirmation that there were cameras pointing back toward the bridge where Riley went missing at.”

[...]

Yeah, it's not surprising. First they didn't believe he was even river, now it's foul play that he was in the river. I said this several weeks ago:

"Now we’re at the stage where the family really wants to hold out hope, so they’ll do anything to believe he’s not in the river. I think this is overwhelmingly the case in events like this.

When and if his body is eventually recovered from the river, the first behavior will apply again. Blame will go back to the bar, and a scenario that involves foul play will be where they wind up mentally."
You were definitely on target. Unfortunately denial can be a major issue in the grieving process.

I am so, so sad about Riley. I have adult sons and can’t imagine the horror of loosing one, but I just can’t see how the fraternity is at fault. It would have been wonderful if the brothers had a buddy system for this outing or made a pack not to overindulge, but even without that, I don’t see how the fraternity is liable. Each young man made his own choices and was not in charge of annyone else’s decisions or behavior.

I came to adore Riley through this so it’s hard to write anything negative about him (and of course until the tox screen comes back we won’t know for sure) but it certainly looks like he as an individual didn’t make good decisions that night. :(

OMHO. RIP dear Riley.
Oh me too. I have 2 sons and 5 grandsons who have been thorough this stage of life and thankfully they all have lived through it. There is just something that is not right, IMO. Maybe no one is involved directly with his death but I can't help but feel like the evening was as benign as what has been reported. Society has become so litigous that someone else is always to blame for something. I don't see how the fraternity can be blamed or even the bars.
That said, I'd still like to know what Riley did to get thrown out of the bar AND how long he wandered around before he is thought to have ended up in the river. The alcohol would at some point metabolize in his system so that he could, if he was lost, sober up enough to get transportation back to hotel. We saw him stumbling, not passed out when he fell he got up and continued. He would only continue to sober up.
I'm surprised someone from his past or currently has not said something about Riley, good or bad. He didn't live in a vacuum. The fraternity could not be his only contacts.

I can totally understand the family's feelings about wanting to know every little detail about what happened.

Hubby and I lost our lifelong best friend in a car wreck a little over 2 years ago. He hit a patch of black ice, spun out, hit a culvert, was thrown across the vehicle (no seatbelt), and partially ejected through the windshield. Even though it was an obvious accident, I still had so many questions about EXACTLY what happened. In my mind, there had to be a reason he hit the ice. Could he have swerved to miss another vehicle or an animal? Did someone run him off the road? Had he dozed off? Worst of all, there were discrepancies in the time the accident happened. It could have been as long as 12 hours before he was found. That sent me into an awful spiral of worrying how long he'd laid there in the cold, partially ejected through the windshield, suffering. I needed answers to those questions before I could even begin to process that he was gone. It took a long time for me to finally accept that I'd never have all of those answers, but at least I got the answer to my biggest worry: he'd passed away instantly due to a broken neck, and thankfully hadn't suffered.

Anyway, I completely understand Riley's family for needing answers. I hope they find all of those answers. If not, I hope they can eventually come to peace with any questions that just aren't answerable. <3
That's incredibly sad, and even sadder considering if he's been wearing a seatbelt he may have survived the accident. It's hard to accept sometimes that no matter how often people are advised to wear a seatbelt while driving, advised not to ride their snowmobile over the lake due to instability, advised not to drive while intoxicated, advised not to work on the roof without a harness, advised not to take the boat out without a lifejacket they still do, and in the unlucky lottery of life, they lose. We all buy tickets but only some of them are punched.

Every one of those scenarios I listed above involve a person I knew who did not take the information given under advisement. So there wasn't much mystery involved in their deaths.

Oh me too. I have 2 sons and 5 grandsons who have been thorough this stage of life and thankfully they all have lived through it. There is just something that is not right, IMO. Maybe no one is involved directly with his death but I can't help but feel like the evening was as benign as what has been reported. Society has become so litigous that someone else is always to blame for something. I don't see how the fraternity can be blamed or even the bars.
That said, I'd still like to know what Riley did to get thrown out of the bar AND how long he wandered around before he is thought to have ended up in the river. The alcohol would at some point metabolize in his system so that he could, if he was lost, sober up enough to get transportation back to hotel. We saw him stumbling, not passed out when he fell he got up and continued. He would only continue to sober up.
I'm surprised someone from his past or currently has not said something about Riley, good or bad. He didn't live in a vacuum. The fraternity could not be his only contacts.
I don’t feel like anyone was directly involved either. <modsnip: not victim friendly> It’s going to all come out eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it been clarified why he was kicked out of the bar? Plus, did he indeed walk into that metal pole and hurt himself?

Sorry there are too many posts to go through.

Has it been clarified why he was kicked out of the bar? Plus, did he indeed walk into that metal pole and hurt himself?

Sorry there are too many posts to go through.
There are video cams of Riley lurching down the street in earlier posts. One of them shows him falling and hitting hit head on the sidewalk. He was obviously very impaired but the video of him talking to the cop investigating car break ins is after his fall and he's walking normally and his voice is normal, too. So I can see how it may be frustrating for his parents but I think he got himself together long enough while walking by the cop to ensure he wouldn't be arrested for public drunkenness.

IMOO ~ I would have thought they'd checked those cameras when he first went missing. They had footage tracking him along on his walk, so if after his encounter with the LEO these were the next camera's available, - would they not have been checked at that time to see if he made it past that point?

IMOO ~ I would have thought they'd checked those cameras when he first went missing. They had footage tracking him along on his walk, so if after his encounter with the LEO these were the next camera's available, - would they not have been checked at that time to see if he made it past that point?
IIRC, the family is saying that LE have not shared all the videos with them, only some of them. The family would like to see all of videos.

IIRC, the family is saying that LE have not shared all the videos with them, only some of them. The family would like to see all of videos.
Yes, you remember right, I meant that I think LE didn't share anything that did not show Riley - as in, if there's nothing to see, no point showing those cameras. I feel so deeply for this family, and I understand wanting there to be more, asking for more camera images and footage, for there to be a reason, a why, and not just - 'fell into river drunk'. That is not how Riley's story should have ended.

understand wanting there to be more, asking for more camera images and footage, for there to be a reason, a why, and not just - 'fell into river drunk'. That is not how Riley's story should have ended.
SBM
Yes, this is the crux of it. They must be feeling that it’s just such a meaningless and stupid reason for him to be gone, after the life he’d lived and the young man he was becoming. Their pain has to be excruciating, and I certainly empathize deeply with them. If someone murdered him, they’d at least be able to blame someone, focus their anger, and seek justice.

The family said they were on speaker phone while their friend in Nashville, Jennifer Ward, spoke to this new witness in person, Monday. Ward has been aiding the family in the search since Strain went missing. Ward said the man reported seeing Strain continue walking underneath the James Robertson Parkway bridge, even passing the Birch Building. “He did see Riley," said Ward. "He did see him walk all the way down the sidewalk, to the corner, as far as he could see.” This raises questions as to whether Strain fell into the river from underneath that bridge or if he potentially walked beyond it. "Until we have the exact information, we’re going to continue to think maybe he went outside the bridge, maybe he got into a car," Ward continued. "Until we have the facts, we can only assume. We don’t know that he fell."
New witness account raises more questions in Riley Strain's death

"Until we have the exact information, we’re going to continue to think maybe he went outside the bridge, maybe he got into a car," Ward continued. "Until we have the facts, we can only assume. We don’t know that he fell."

So they are obviously not sold on the falling in the water. As stated before, it may be a phase of grief but I guess it will help them if they leave no stone unturned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back