GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

@PaulBlume_FOX9

APPLE RIVER STABBING TRIAL: Nicolae Miu defense attorney Corey Chirafisi tells the jury, Miu was "tormented" by the drunk Stillwater teens on the river. And Miu had every right to defend himself with the knife during the chaotic encounter. Jury should have the case shortly

Jury Deliberations

After receiving the instructions and hearing the final arguments, the jury retires to the jury room to begin deliberating. In most states the first order of business is to elect one of the jurors as the foreperson or presiding juror. This person’s role is to preside over discussions and votes of the jurors, and often to deliver the verdict. The bailiff’s job is to ensure that no one communicates with the jury during deliberations.

In some states, the jury may take the exhibits introduced into the record and the judge's instructions to the jury room. Sometimes the jury will have a question about the evidence or the judge's instructions. If this happens, the jury will give a note to the bailiff to take to the judge. The judge may respond to the note, or may call the jury back into the courtroom for further instructions or to have portions of the transcript read to them. Of course, any communication between the judge and jury should be in the presence of lawyers for each side or with their knowledge.

Usually the court provides the jury with written forms of all possible verdicts, so that when a decision is reached, the jury has only to choose the proper verdict form. In most instances, the verdict in a criminal case must be unanimous. In some states a less than unanimous decision is permitted in civil cases. All federal cases require a unanimous decision.

If the jury cannot come to a decision by the end of the day, the jurors may be sequestered, or housed in a hotel and secluded from all contact with other people, newspapers and news reports. In most cases, though, the jury will be allowed to go home at night. The judge will instruct jurors not to read or view reports of the case in the news. Nor should they consider or discuss the case while outside of the jury room.

If the jurors cannot agree on a verdict, a hung jury results, leading to a mistrial. The case is not decided, and it may be tried again at a later date before a new jury. Or the plaintiff or government may decide not to pursue the case further and there will be no subsequent trial.

State of WI

NM has already been in jail, for two years? I can almost see a guilty, with lightest count, and time served.

Reactions: IDK
I am a 56 year old woman and my husband is 62. So of course, I see things clearly from NM's POV. I also understand why he lied about everything. The problem is that he was scared and in shock. Yes. He behaved rationally. And I also don't believe he doesn't remember. I wish he'd just admitted he lied because he thought no one would believe him.

Let's talk about the things that regardless of people jumping up and down about that NM is NOT required to do after what he declares as self-defense. Not saying doing these things wouldn't be helpful in one's defense, but not "required by law."

1.) "just leave" - anyone could have "just left" and no one has the right to dictate who needs to "just leave"
2.) to assist in medical aid or contact 911
3.) to stick around the scene after it happened
4.) to volunteer any information implicating yourself

I wish he hadn't lied and I wish he didn't lie about not remembering. He may have perjured himself on the stand, which is an issue. But to me, the bottom line is the video, which CLEARLY shows a group of loud, drunk, healthy, young, capable people surrounding, threatening, screaming at, namecalling, touching him, and putting this man into what anyone his age and of reasonable mind can see as self-defense.

Again, as the attorney said - if you think it "might be self-defense the verdict is not guilty. If you think it is possibly not self defense the verdict is not guilty. They must prove it was not self-defense beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt in order to find guilty.

A fair jury will find him not guilty on all counts. I don't know if there are counts against him for lying after the fact? Not sure if there are any laws about that? But for everything that happened in the video, this is clearly a not guilty verdict. IMO

OK, I've made my decision and I'm sticking with it.

*Drum Roll*

Nicolae Miu is not guilty of all charges on the indictment (IMO). The main reason for this is that the prosecution throughout this case was just... awful. Starting right from the beginning with the decision to overcharge NM on counts 1-5 all the way through to calling witnesses who provided way too little testimony that they could reference in their closing argument/rebuttal to disprove NM's self defence claim, and instead brought with them a bevy of bad facts which the defense was able to exploit with very skillful questioning.
I think they absolutely took it for granted that once they got to trial the jury would sympathise with these traumatised teenagers and severely wounded young adults over this weird old man who ran in on a group of high schoolers, went on a knife rampage and then lied repeatedly in the aftermath.

Even if he is acquitted I don't think Nic Miu will have gone unpunished for his wrongdoing. He's spent nearly 2 years in prison, lost his marriage and will probably spend the rest of his life facing civil lawsuits as a result of this incident. A large number of people who followed this trial take a very different view to me, and to them he will always be a child killer.

OK, I've made my decision and I'm sticking with it.

*Drum Roll*

Nicolae Miu is not guilty of all charges on the indictment (IMO). The main reason for this is that the prosecution throughout this case was just... awful. Starting right from the beginning with the decision to overcharge NM on counts 1-5 all the way through to calling witnesses who provided way too little testimony that they could reference in their closing argument/rebuttal to disprove NM's self defence claim, and instead brought with them a bevy of bad facts which the defense was able to exploit with very skillful questioning.
I think they absolutely took it for granted that once they got to trial the jury would sympathise with these traumatised teenagers and severely wounded young adults over this weird old man who ran in on a group of high schoolers, went on a knife rampage and then lied repeatedly in the aftermath.

Even if he is acquitted I don't think Nic Miu will have gone unpunished for his wrongdoing. He's spent nearly 2 years in prison, lost his marriage and will probably spend the rest of his life facing civil lawsuits as a result of this incident. A large number of people who followed this trial take a very different view to me, and to them he will always be a child killer.

I'm sort of with you on this. But only 60% sure he was acting in self defense in relation technically to the law.

Wonder when there will be a verdict? Tomorrow? the next day?

Wow, defense went to blank screen the minute Miu stabbed Ryley when they played first part of video. Second of video showed Miu's arm stab at Ryley. At the time he had a knife in his right hand.

How deceptive. But, I guess defense lawyers do what they have to do.

I still think Miu stabbed Ryley one second before he hit Maddie. And Ryley had delayed reaction to stab. Video only showed Mui's stab, but camera did not capture his actual hand. Only the movement.

Last edited:
I'm sort of with you on this. But only 60% sure he was acting in self defense relation to the law.

Wonder when there will be a verdict? Tomorrow? the next day?

Friday, afternoon, unless there are holdouts and mistrial. I personally, am so tossed up on this, I wouldn't really be stuck on one side or the other. I would go ahead and vote with majority. But definitely on the lowest charge.

He should get time served if not acquitted. I don't like the lies, wish he had just been upfront with the truth. 2 years in jail with 2 mill bond.. because of 1st degree murder charge. Prosecutors went overboard and now are backtracking. Those 'kids' are looking for a payday now and thats why they came up with the additional lies they did. THIS is part of the big problem i have with the legal system these days. Its all about the money.

Yeah I have no idea how it will go, my only speculation is that it is an older jury and they might lean more towards NM, but I could also see the young jurors making this a hung jury, interesting case

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back