TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #2

I scrolled and “read” through about 20 posts and none registered. Not a one.
I’m still processing $20 weekly allowance.
For a college kid.
In his 20s.
In today’s economy.

Even a middle schooler who literally can have all expenses paid, can’t do much with $20 at a mall. Maybe a movie ticket. Sorry, kid. No popcorn for you.

laugh.gif
It feels nice to find something to laugh about, amidst this worrisome case.

My guess would be he used credit and or debit cards connected to his parents’ account for a lot of purchases, with the $20 being for cash incidentals. Still sounds low to me, but then I guess many people rarely use cash now?
It could be one of those Visa cards for students that gets loaded $80 each month by his parents.

For a college kid.
In his 20s.
In today’s economy.

Even a middle schooler who literally can have all expenses paid, can’t do much with $20 at a mall. Maybe a movie ticket. Sorry, kid. No popcorn for you.
The more I process this, the more I wonder if his parents had a tight grip on him.
If that’s the case, it would feel suffocating to have your every card swipe seen (aside from your $20 play money) by your parents, because they don’t want you to work while in school.
I get that that’s a luxury many kids wished they had, but it comes of as a form of control.

I’m not saying that’s the case here, just how i can see it could make a kid engage in risky behavior bc it feels like freedom.

The more I process this, the more I wonder if his parents had a tight grip on him.
If that’s the case, it would feel suffocating to have your every card swipe seen (aside from your $20 play money) by your parents, because they don’t want you to work while in school.
I get that that’s a luxury many kids wished they had, but it comes of as a form of control.

I’m not saying that’s the case here, just how i can see it could make a kid engage in risky behavior bc it feels like freedom.
I have to agree, sometimes too much control may make kids learn to hide more.

This is exactly the thoughts I have had. I’ve heard the parents state they didn’t want him to work so that he could focus on his studies, but honestly it seems like he spent a lot of outside school hours fishing, etc. I have also felt like they wanted to keep a close eye on how he was spending his money.

I have read that his mother wasn’t very keen on the planned upcoming summer work in Alaska, although when I have heard the father talk about it he seemed to speak of the Alaska summer in a positive way. Wonder if that didn’t cause some problems.

On one of the early interviews, Caleb’s mother said she was just there for a visit earlier that weekend, said Caleb invited her as he wanted to show her his favorite fishing spots. Possibly he wanted to talk to her in private about something?

For a college kid.
In his 20s.
In today’s economy.

Ha, I read a movie ticket and I think popcorn etc can be paid with credit card, ApplePay, GooglePay and even BitPay (cryptocurrency) at AMC Theaters!
popcorn.gif

Digital crime expert was on Nancy Grace and he said the family had 360 app which is a great family app?

ALife360 account allows people in your family's "circle" to keep track of each other's locations in real-time, send alerts or messages, keep track of each other's driving data.

Your child is 21 and a Junior in college and has a family app locator on it???
Your child shares a bank account with dad to check all your spending habits and is allotted $20 a week to do whatever you want to do with it.
Your dad is saying in an interview your not in trouble, come home, fight, remember the scripture you know that scripture!

<modsnip - no link to approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:
Digital crime expert was on Nancy Grace and he said the family had 360 app which is a great family app?

ALife360 account allows people in your family's "circle" to keep track of each other's locations in real-time, send alerts or messages, keep track of each other's driving data.

Your child shares a bank account with dad to check all your spending habits and is allotted $20 a week to do whatever you want to do with it.
Your dad is saying in an interview your not in trouble, come home, fight, remember the scripture you know that scripture!

My husband's 46 and I can track him on life 360, he's certainly mature enough to not have a tracker :D It was actually our then preteen daughter who asked us to download it so we can all make sure everyone's safe. All anyone needs to do is leave the circle or log out.

<modsnip - quoted post was snipped>

I’m not saying his parents couldn’t be strict, just saying we don’t know enough yet to jump to conclusions and criticize his family or any perceived strictness, or their personal relationship with CH - not to mention, it’s not victim friendly.

I personally have not heard enough from CH’s friends and/or his sister or his parent’s friends or msm or LE to know “how the household was run”.

<modsnip - quoted post was snipped>

Just trying to keep facts separate from opinions and speculation so as not to sow confusion on the thread. Tia

Jmo

My husband's 46 and I can track him on life 360, he's certainly mature enough to not have a tracker :D It was actually our then preteen daughter who asked us to download it so we can all make sure everyone's safe. All anyone needs to do is leave the circle or log out.
Families with younger kids and teens, and established families use those apps for other reasons, like you listed.
It’s all about intent.
There are plenty others that use it as a form of control.
You do lose a bit of sense of privacy, and autonomy, in either scenario.

FACT: Digital crime expert was on Nancy Grace and he said the family had 360 app which is a great family app? (look up the first Nancy Grace interview to hear what was said)

FACT: ALife360 account allows people in your family's "circle" to keep track of each other's locations in real-time, send alerts or messages, keep track of each other's driving data. (look up Alife360 to get full details of the app and what it can do) https://www.life360.com/

FACT: Your child is 21 and a Junior in college and has a family app locator on it! (Look up interview to hear parents and digital crime expert say this)

FACT: Your child shares a bank account with dad to check all your spending habits and is allotted $20 a week to do whatever you want to do with it. (Check the Nancy Grace interview, this is said by the dad)

FACT: Your dad is saying in an interview “your not in trouble, come home, fight, remember the scripture you know that scripture!” (This is one of the first interviews the mom and dad gave together and the dad cried after saying this) Texas A&M Student Steps Out Barefoot for Uber Eats Order, VANISHES: Where is Caleb Harris?

OPINION: Guys! This young man has had these encounters before (OPINION), the parents know, the parents have religiously counseled him (OPINION), and before we release you to college we are going to control the money and your location (OPINION).

FINAL OPINION: To each his own Im ok with whatever you and your parents decide, BUT this does give us a glimpse into the way the household is run. And it’s clear the parents felt at 21 CH needed to have the locator on his phoen. The boy turned that phone off (OPINION)! It didn’t die (OPINION)! This all makes sense. (OPINION)

FACT: Digital crime expert was on Nancy Grace and he said the family had 360 app which is a great family app? (look up the first Nancy Grace interview to hear what was said)

FACT: ALife360 account allows people in your family's "circle" to keep track of each other's locations in real-time, send alerts or messages, keep track of each other's driving data. (look up Alife360 to get full details of the app and what it can do) https://www.life360.com/

FACT: Your child is 21 and a Junior in college and has a family app locator on it! (Look up interview to hear parents and digital crime expert say this)

FACT: Your child shares a bank account with dad to check all your spending habits and is allotted $20 a week to do whatever you want to do with it. (Check the Nancy Grace interview, this is said by the dad)

FACT: Your dad is saying in an interview “your not in trouble, come home, fight, remember the scripture you know that scripture!” (This is one of the first interviews the mom and dad gave together and the dad cried after saying this) Texas A&M Student Steps Out Barefoot for Uber Eats Order, VANISHES: Where is Caleb Harris?

OPINION: Guys! This young man has had these encounters before (OPINION), the parents know, the parents have religiously counseled him (OPINION), and before we release you to college we are going to control the money and your location (OPINION).

FINAL OPINION: To each his own Im ok with whatever you and your parents decide, BUT this does give us a glimpse into the way the household is run. And it’s clear the parents felt at 21 CH wasn’t ready/mature enough to have the locator deactivated. The boy turned that phone off (OPINION)! It didn’t die (OPINION)! This all makes sense. (OPINION)
You’ve laid this out really well.
I’m actually now torn between thinking that he was catfished and killed by someone, or that he deliberately disappeared.
I suppose law enforcement with digital evidence would be more able to ascertain the likelihood of each scenario.

FINAL OPINION: To each his own Im ok with whatever you and your parents decide, BUT this does give us a glimpse into the way the household is run. And it’s clear the parents felt at 21 CH needed to have the locator on his phoen. The boy turned that phone off (OPINION)! It didn’t die (OPINION)! This all makes sense. (OPINION)
Do we know his birth date? The day he became an adult legally and can make his own decisions? The date by which he becomes an adult and if he chooses to, can take off on his own. LE is only obligated to say that they have made contact and he is fine.

Not all this has to be about control. Most times it's about safety. And an overpower fear for the parents. However, as the child ages, as parents we need to learn how to turn loose to allow them to learn decision making and mistake making. However, a child, alone at an out of town college, I'd stay in close touch. I DID stay in close touch.

My son was much older than 21 when he moved to LA and didn't know a soul. I did not have a tracker app, and he was working, but I kept in close contact because we read too many missing persons stories that no one knows when they were last seen. No one notices. How does family go 2-3 months and have no idea when the last contact was?

During those LA days, every morning, when I woke up, I went straight to FB to be sure he had posted once he had gotten home that night. SAFE. (or not - was drugged at a party. He knew by whom and managed to get away. He doesn't remember getting home and was out of it was 3 days. So during his time there, I communicated with him, I knew when he was working (he was acting and otherwise having a blast). Our goal was to be sure if he went missing, he could not have been gone long before I was getting help on the way. It was a good time, but a frightening time. I understand parents keeping a close eye on the chick.

In the decade since my son lived in LA, his life has changed drastically and there are others who would notice if he goes missing. Still, I keep a close eye on Facebook.

where can you hide for a month with no $ and be "safe?"
I don't think this was a planned escape/disappearance or a hoax, but if it were, I doubt the person on the run would make known their plans, funds, location & contacts. We could assume they had no access to money, but wouldn't know for sure.

I think he went out anticipating a quick meeting or hook up, and came to harm. And while I think it's extremely unlikely, hiding out - or any scenario in which Caleb is alive - would be a welcome resolution IMO.

I would absolutely still track my college aged child on Life360 just to ensure they are safe. I would probably check is less often than I would for my younger children, but I don't see an issue with that, especially with the number of missing persons discussions I read daily.

As for the bank account though, that does feel very controlling. Your adult child needs to learn how to track and manage their own spending as it's a life skill they will need later on. I know when I was in college, my parents were able to "control" me in certain ways because they had the money. I couldn't move in with my boyfriend or they would quit funding me etc. Granted, this was way too many years ago and we just moved in right after I graduated (we're now married for 14 years with two kids so it all worked out).

Also, with regard to CH being barefoot, that is the speculation by the family since they looked through CH's items and, from their understanding of his footwear, they didn't see any missing. But IMO, CH could have picked up a pair of flip-flops or something that they weren't aware of.
There is no way I would know how many pairs of shoes my college student owned, or if any were missing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theb
Back