ID - 85-year old woman kills masked home invader while handcuffed to chair - April 11, 2024

Clearsky

Reaction score

Christine Jenneiahn had been asleep in her Bingham County home when she awoke around 2 a.m. to find Derek Condon — dressed in a military jacket and black ski mask — pointing a 9 mm pistol at her while shining a flashlight in her face, according to the review.

1712838801458.png

''An 85-year-old woman shot and killed a masked intruder who broke into her home and handcuffed her to a wooden chair - with a prosecutor calling it "one of the most heroic acts of self-preservation I have ever heard of".

''Christine Jenneiahn shot Derek Condon twice after dragging herself to the bedroom of her home in Bingham County, Idaho, to retrieve her firearm while still secured to the chair.''
"She ultimately made the decision that it was 'now or never' and drew her concealed 357 Magnum and engaged Condon striking him with both her shots," the review says.

Condon returned fire, striking Ms Jenneiahn multiple times in her abdomen, a leg, an arm and her chest with a 9mm pistol, according to the review.

He then went to the kitchen where he died from his gunshot wounds.''

''An 85-year-old woman shot and killed a masked intruder who broke into her home and handcuffed her to a wooden chair - with a prosecutor calling it "one of the most heroic acts of self-preservation I have ever heard of".

''Christine Jenneiahn shot Derek Condon twice after dragging herself to the bedroom of her home in Bingham County, Idaho, to retrieve her firearm while still secured to the chair.''
"She ultimately made the decision that it was 'now or never' and drew her concealed 357 Magnum and engaged Condon striking him with both her shots," the review says.

Condon returned fire, striking Ms Jenneiahn multiple times in her abdomen, a leg, an arm and her chest with a 9mm pistol, according to the review.

He then went to the kitchen where he died from his gunshot wounds.''
I hope Ms Jenneiahn survives - those multiple gunshot wounds at age 85, especially the abdominal and chest wounds, are a major challenge to recovery.

''Condon returned fire, striking Jenneiahn multiple times in her abdomen, a leg, an arm and her chest with a 9 mm pistol, according to the review. Condon went to the kitchen, where he died from the gunshot wounds.

Jenneiahn, still handcuffed, fell over and remained on the floor for about 10 hours until her son came upstairs in the late morning and gave her a phone to call 911. Deputies responded at about 12:17 p.m., the review says.

EastIdahoNews.com reported that Jenneiahn was taken to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls. She has been released and is recovering, it reported.

Subsequent investigation turned up a broken window in the back of the residence and a screwdriver near where Condon broke in, according to the review. On his body, Condon had a lock pick set, his car key, a handcuff key and a bag filled with items stolen from the home.''

''Condon returned fire, striking Jenneiahn multiple times in her abdomen, a leg, an arm and her chest with a 9 mm pistol, according to the review. Condon went to the kitchen, where he died from the gunshot wounds.

Jenneiahn, still handcuffed, fell over and remained on the floor for about 10 hours until her son came upstairs in the late morning and gave her a phone to call 911. Deputies responded at about 12:17 p.m., the review says.

EastIdahoNews.com reported that Jenneiahn was taken to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls. She has been released and is recovering, it reported.

Subsequent investigation turned up a broken window in the back of the residence and a screwdriver near where Condon broke in, according to the review. On his body, Condon had a lock pick set, his car key, a handcuff key and a bag filled with items stolen from the home.''
Perhaps odd reporting? She's lying on the floor with multiple gunshot wounds and her son gives her a phone so she can call 911? Strange MOO

Released and recovering! She must be a strong lady and had a great deal of luck as far as the gunshots are concerned.

Jenneiahn fell to the floor while still handcuffed, and was there for about 10 hours before her son found her and gave her a phone to call 911. Deputies arrived at approximately 12:17 p.m. and provided lifesaving measures.
Idaho mom, 85, committed 'justifiable homicide' by shooting armed home intruder, prosecutor says

OMG 10 hours injured with multiple gunshot wounds handcuffed to a chair laying on the floor! This lady is tough as nails. I hope she recovers from her injuries fully. Someone needs to give her a medal.

Last edited:
I'm impressed at her accuracy, while handcuffed, while under duress, and at her age. I'm not terribly knowledgeable, but a .357 is a pretty heavy handgun with a big kick, isn't it?

MOO
A .357 has a lot of recoil and from my experience, is not easy to shoot well. A larger revolver can absorb some of the recoil, though. It's a destructive round. There are some lower recoil hollow point rounds out there, but I'm not sure if they're available in .357. I own a .357 revolver, but I only shoot .38 caliber through it because of the discomfort during shooting. It is said that during moments of adrenaline surge people can shoot an otherwise uncomfortable firearm. I'm impressed with her survival skills. With an armed captor, escaping that situation alive is extremely challenging - the odds are long.

A .357 has a lot of recoil and from my experience, is not easy to shoot well. A larger revolver can absorb some of the recoil, though. It's a destructive round. There are some lower recoil hollow point rounds out there, but I'm not sure if they're available in .357. I own a .357 revolver, but I only shoot .38 caliber through it because of the discomfort during shooting. It is said that during moments of adrenaline surge people can shoot an otherwise uncomfortable firearm. I'm impressed with her survival skills. With an armed captor, escaping that situation alive is extremely challenging - the odds are long.
Thank you for the confirmation.

I was exposed to guns as a kid, but they were rifles and the tone of the circumstances was that of... intimidation, not education, if you get my drift.

I honestly think the perp in this case was going to kill her. He wasn't going to leave a witness, and she knew that.

I don't like to lionise 'survivors' too much, because I think all victims of crime, those who survive and those who don't, are worthy of equal esteem, but I can't help but be in awe of the tenacity, cool-headedness, and gumption it took her to even formulate her plan, let alone carry it out successfully. She survived, and her son survived, and that is remarkable given that so often, these home invasions with lethal weapons and elderly and/or disabled victims only go one way.

MOO

Wow, I am so happy she is recovering! What a brave and skilled lady!
I do hope she will be fine and can go on to live a full live and maybe give a nice interview for her 100th birthday (is that done there? we do it in my neck of woods!).

I think luck played a role as far as where gunshots hit her. She also lost some blood.

I assume she must have practiced regularly with shooting her revolver...
If she got him in something vital with her first shot, which she must have done, he may not have been able to aim effectively. But a lot of luck, yes.

I imagine she must have done. Big gun with a big kick, and when it counted, she struck true. Muscle memory and steady hands.

MOO

rbbm
''Jenneiahn's case was ruled as "justifiable homicide," the Bingham Country Sheriff's Office said in a statement on Facebook.
"Now that we are able to release the details, we wish to make it clear that our intention is not to defame the name of the suspect involved or make a tragedy for his family worse," added the sheriff's office. "We are simply releasing the facts of the case, and explaining that there was a victim involved that displayed heroism, fortitude, and a will to live that we’d be remiss not to share. We feel fortunate to know Christine and wish to thank her for her example at this time. We wish her well in her recovery and look forward to finding a way to honor her at a later date."
1712846127674.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back