GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

I guess this will limit any civil lawsuits against NM? Not really sure, more just curious. IMO there’s no point to it really since he’s going to be in prison a long time and unable to work. I hope his wife’s assets are protected, at least.

APPLE RIVER STABBING TRIAL: St Croix Co DA Karl Anderson just said Nicolae Miu is looking at upwards of 100 years behind bars following today's verdict. Ultimately up to the judge. But the #s are severe in Wisconsin even on these "lesser" charges.

APPLE RIVER STABBING TRIAL: "JUSTICE FOR ISSAC," Isaac Schuman family just left Hudson courthouse, making quick remarks to our @FOX9 crew. Nicolae Niu found guilty of 1st degree reckless homicide in the stabbing of the 17yo.

Absolutely, you saw it. He really thought he was the smartest in the room. He probably was around his friends. What really angered him was two woman cussing at him and telling him to GO>>>>
This !!!! BBM
I remember NM (on direct mind you) said when asked about his fear level of 1-10. 10 being highest.
He was asked how it felt when that woman was “In his face” .
He said a 1 ( one) level of fear.
He then went on & on about how that felt having a woman in his face. You could tell that really infuriated him. JMO .
My takeaway was that he was not scared.
He was angry with a woman in his face.

MOO

Last edited:
This !!!! BBM
I remember NM (on direct mind you) said when asked about his fear level of 1-10. 10 being highest.
He was asked how it felt when that woman was “In his face” . He said a 1 ( one) level of fear!
He then went on & on about how that felt having a woman in his face. You could tell that really infuriated him. JMO .

MOO

That makes sense. Most men would take a woman shouting in their face as only a minimal threat. "What are they going to do: Slap me??!! No big deal."

This !!!! BBM
He was asked how it felt when that woman was “In his face” . He said a 1 ( one) level of fear!

MOO
And THAT is when he took his knife out of his pocket. I found that very telling.

And THAT is when he took his knife out of his pocket. I found that very telling.
Longtime lurker here had to make account to comment how much I agree.
At no part of this case or trial did NM ever come off believable and anything other than the aggressor who got upset when called out on his lewd actions

Jumping into this thread blind - not sure what the general consensus here is but my gosh - the amount of people I have come across on the internet that think you can just kill people if they say things you don't like is just baffling. Also finding it hard to comprehend the thought that somehow the kids were more culpable because they were underage drinking rather than the adults who were of-age drinking. I'll never understand why Miu approached the kids. Why not just ignore them. He will have a lifetime to think about that. I've seen so many people say the kids derserved it because they were being brats. Blows my mind.
Agree totally with you. You don’t have an excuse to go on a stabbing spree, stabbing people who never touched you (in some cases), stabbing upwards, never calling 911, actively evading LE, attempting to unload the knife, and obviously committing perjury on the stand. It’s just sad that people excuse this. Did Isaac’s group act correctly, no. Did this person have a legal justification for *multifaceted* criminal conduct? No.

At no part of this case or trial did NM ever come off believable and anything other than the aggressor who got upset when called out on his lewd actions
Welcome to Websleuths smackdown!
Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts.

This !!!! BBM
He was asked how it felt when that woman was “In his face” .
He said a 1 ( one) level of fear.

MOO
I do not feel his testimony helped him. At all. He didn't come across as a nice or caring person. Or having any remorse for what he did. And he appeared to be angry at times.

I was watching Lawyer You Know recapping the verdict. He posed a theory that I had not considered but since he is a practicing defense attorney it seems reasonable. He thinks at first there was a majority for first degree intentional but some not in agreement but they were okay with the first degree reckless ...easier to move down than. up. They got the verdict fairly quickly what about 6 hours give or take?

I come in biased for sure because in my experience, the athletes would get together to party and would always end up harming someone. Some were bouncers at a local bar on weekends and would come in to school on Monday to laugh and joke about how many people they had beaten up and thrown into dumpsters. Same thing happened when my sons were growing up. It was considered the football culture though no one called it that.

First of all, when the boys started taunting the defendant, he should have walked away. Perhaps he was too focused on finding the phone but with a bunch of drunk guys and a loudmouth at the camera, you're going to lose. Be adult and walk away.
But the defendant may just have waited too long and others joined the group of boys at the behest of a parent of all things. The parent of the group joining had to know that the increase in numbers would only serve to exacerbate the situation.
This began a melee that encircled the defendant. BTW, it looks as though the defendant was summoning his own group for help at one point. The defendant looks as though he's trying to figure out if the joining girls were helping him or the boys, and it was pretty clear with the tauntings of the boys that they were accusing the defendant of terrible things.
I do believe that it was at that point that the defendant feared for his safety, perhaps his life, as the boys were obviously escalating with the increase in numbers. I believe that the boys intended to post the video later for friends to show how macho they were humiliating a grown man. I do believe that when the blonde got into the defendant's space, he pushed her. I don't believe he punched. I think the boys are embellishing because it's better for their story. Once he pushed the blonde, he may have been trying to get away but it was too late.
That initial physical contact, especially upon a female, further enraged the boys and the melee began with the boys pushing, slapping and hitting him.
At that point, I believe it was self defense.
BTW, tubing in rivers is a big thing that we enjoyed as a family. We always carried a knife, or scissors because you have to initially cut the tubes off the roof of your vehicle, then sometimes we would tie our tubes together to float together and sometimes have to cut them again if our boys wanted to float separately for a time. Sometimes this would happen off and on, tying and cutting for the entire tube ride down the river as the kids became tired. So leaving the cutting instrument in the car would not work.

In conclusion, I wish the defendant had walked away, ignored the drunk kids and left. Perhaps he wanted to be the hero and find his friend's phone. He had also consumed alcohol. Additionally, the boys made a stupid decision to drink alcohol (beer and vodka) and smoke weed which may have empowered them and made them feel invincible. The boy's never should have taunted anyone and to me were like a pack of pit bulls (MOO) and things got out of hand, regrettably for all and a life was tragically lost. This is just my take on the situation and MO.

Last edited:
I was watching Lawyer You Know recapping the verdict. He posed a theory that I had not considered but since he is a practicing defense attorney it seems reasonable. He thinks at first there was a majority for first degree intentional but some not in agreement but they were okay with the first degree reckless ...easier to move down than. up. They got the verdict fairly quickly what about 6 hours give or take?
Which is probably why the state added the lesser charges.

I haven't watch the whole trial but what were his lewd actions? lewd = cruel and offensive in a sexual way. Was he being sexual that day? Thanks

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgreen63
Back